What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

trial vs Brisbane

One Warrior

Bench
Pleased with the effort, good intensity and didn't slacken off, loved the improved defense from last year, Nielsen, Lowrie and Leuluai all played well, seems to have been astute signings. Injury toll is definitely the biggest worry, particularly in the halves, Johnson is the biggest worry, not sure how long he will be gone for, and Tupou should not be anywhere near first grade, Fish on the wing.

Iafeta

Referee
None of them were tries though, the refs made the correct decision last night. In years gone by we would have been stuffed as you said, but if last night is an indication of whats to come from the refs then long may it continue.

No, but the point is if you keep turning the ball over every second set, kicking on the second or third tackle (sometimes grubbers) every other set, and giving away I can only imagine around 15 penalties, most teams are going to be more clinical than that in their execution and would have at least 20 on us by half time. The defensive structures were a lot better, the effort in the tackle was miles better, but, you can't play I think it was 68% in the first half in your own half either coming off your line, or defending because you couldn't get to the last tackle, or gave up a silly penalty.

Aside from the defence, I wasn't impressed. To me, the attack was absolutely terrible.

vvvrulz

Coach
I thought we had a good game, I'd rather see good defence than good attack because we have the attacking firepower to come right eventually.

Mateo and Johnson were still a bit off colour and they need to sort themselves out.
Godinet looked good at #9, Taylor continued to be poor there. Enough with that no-look pass!!

Aragorn

First Grade
The broncos are a bit of a disorganised mess themselves currently. I dont rate them top 8, hence while our performance was "encouraging" it was far from what i would label premiership material.

Our real test will come in rd 2 against the roosters. They were both clinical and exciting to watch last night - swatting away the tigers without much thought. I thought Maloney was pretty dam impressive in his new stripes.

Roosters to take out 2013. you heard it here first.

Iafeta

Referee
22 KEVIN LOCKE Not rated
Not on the field long enough. Two main plays I saw, one he nearly split the defence from bringing the ball back, another one he flicked the ball back inside while about to go out from a metre or two out which was dumb.
2 BILL TUPOU 4
Error early on, after that he didn't make much of an impact. Defensively seemed to have a period on the left edge in the second half in the centres and racked up a succession of tackles. Not enough to get a starting spot round 1.
3 DANE NIELSEN 5.5
Played well until the final hand off from Hodges. Did well given Hodges was pretty much on fire. Communication on the edge seems so much better. DOn't know if this is all Neilsen or a combination of Neilsen and the coaching staff.
4 KONRAD HURRELL 5.5
Nothing to write home about on attack. Early on the Warriors had a nice spread which is unusual for us typically. I can't wait till Konrad gets that spread and gets 1 on 1 with a centre. Defensively did a very good job.
25 MANU VATUVEI 4.5
Couple of bad handling errors, but defended his edge fairly well for the most part and I thought he showed some toe at times to haul down Hodges.
6 THOMAS LEULUAI 6
Defensively good. Kicking game ok without being effective. Good support off a short ball early on.
7 SHAUN JOHNSON 5
Some dumb options. The grubbers from his own half, I swear to God if he tries that in the regular season and turns the ball over on halfway I'll start a stink in my own living room. Kicking, seemed hell bent on kicking early in the count. Got to imagine that was a coaches decision, which I certainly did not like. Stupid tactic.
15 SAM RAPIRA 8
Kept taking the ball forward. The best Warrior on display. Very pleasing return. We will need him
14 ELIJAH TAYLOR 6.5
Good defensively, and certainly not the attacking nightmare that we thought it would be. By and large his passes hit the first reciever accurately.
10 BEN MATULINO 7.5
One poor error, but made a ton of metres with every touch and was physical in the tackle.
11 FELETI MATEO 5
Not involved enough and ineffective in second phase, seemed to be timing issues with his fellow players.
12 SIMON MANNERING (c) 6
Early offload to the Broncos when in attack was poor. Then got into his workmanlike display. Played well in defence.
16 TODD LOWRIE 5
Yes he was involved, but the bloke did not learn when it came to penalties. He must take that out of his game. I'm sure with his experience he will. Otherwise a good game.
Interchange:
1 GLEN FISIIAHI 6
Not involved much, but did make a good tackle to save a potential try and the speed in broken field play is still lethal. Grabbed himself the #2 jumper for round 1.
5 CHARLIE GUBB 6
Did nothing wrong. Solid.
8 JACOB LILLYMAN 6
As above.
17 CARLOS TUIMAVAVE Not on long enough
9 PITA GODINET 7.5
Seemed to have so much more organisation and structure when he was on. Set up two tries. Should have banked a bench spot, even if Johnson is fit.
21 JEROME ROPATI Not on long enough, but pleasing to see him have a run again
23 SEBASTINE IKAHIHIFO 6
One sloppy error in the ruck, but he seems to have bulked up which will help him this year. Pushing for a bench spot.
24 STEVE RAPIRA 6
One very good run where he bumped through the defenders to set up a good platform. I think he's got Sione Lousi's spot to start the season, so will get to play with Sam at NRL level.

Iafeta

Referee
The broncos are a bit of a disorganised mess themselves currently. I dont rate them top 8, hence while our performance was "encouraging" it was far from what i would label premiership material.

Our real test will come in rd 2 against the roosters. They were both clinical and exciting to watch last night - swatting away the tigers without much thought. I thought Maloney was pretty dam impressive in his new stripes.

Roosters to take out 2013. you heard it here first.

I don't know about the Roosters call, but I think you're right in your appraisal of the Warriors - it lacked fluency and would have been destroyed by a top of the line team.

ozbash

Referee
22 KEVIN LOCKE Not rated

watched the game again this arvo and Locke played a large part of the first half, didn't actually see him get hurt. hopefully, he wasn't.

One Warrior

Bench

watched the game again this arvo and Locke played a large part of the first half, didn't actually see him get hurt. hopefully, he wasn't.

Don't believe he was, no mention of an injury in report which described Johnson & Tuimavave's injuries. Also saw him walking round after game and saw no signs of injury then.

spear tackle

Juniors
With Johnson out for up to a month with a hyper entended elbow and Carlos with a broken bones in his hand my guess is we'll be seeing more of Godinet on the field for the early part of the season at least.
Bummer we've lost a few before the season kicks off but it gives some of the others a chance to prove themselves and gives us a more experienced squad for a bit later down the track.

ozenzud

Juniors
I thought, all up, there were some really good signs and a couple of bad ones.

Bad ones
The Fish. He ain't up to first grade if you ask me.
Manu, his decision making on attack and hands looked terrible
Johnson, second year syndrome I hope doesn't come into 3rd year.
Attack was very one dimensional. But its a trial, don't give away too much too soon. Relaxed on that at the mo.

Good ones - Thomas L. Was watching him in the Superleague last year I thought he has come a long way.
Lowrie, once he adjusts away from the Melbourne wrestle tactics and stops giving penalties he'll be great. We were missing a player like him all year.
Manu's lateral movement and pace is back. If he could fix his decision making and hands he could be back to form.
Depth - We have forwards for Africa and halves options coming out our ears! Hooker still a worry. Even centre options!

Loved watching University product Charlie Gubb bend that line a couple of times and make a few hits. He looked like he belonged out there. Great story for young blokes in Wellington who want to make it in TGG.

Latest posts