What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trial vs Broncos

Rich102

Staff member
Vodafone Warriors captain Simon Mannering (pictured) and NRL Nines stars Shaun Johnson and Sam Tomkins will have their only NRL trial of the season when they face the Brisbane Broncos at Forsyth Barr Stadium in Dunedin on Sunday (3.00pm kick-off). Photo: Photosport
Mannering (27), nearing the club’s record for most NRL appearances as captain, has been kept out of action until now following a gruelling 2013 schedule with both the Vodafone Warriors and the Kiwis.
Johnson and Tomkins sat out last week’s Gold Coast and Wigan trials to prepare for the Nines. They excelled in the club’s run to the semi-finals with Johnson capturing the tournament’s MVP award after scoring four five-point bonus tries.
Also included in the 22-man squad named by head coach Matt Elliott are another 11 of the club’s Eden Park Nines players along with 100 games-plus NRL veterans Jerome Ropati, Ben Matulino, Sam Rapira, Jacob Lillyman, Nathan Friend and Feleti Mateo.
As well as Tomkins fellow new signings Jayson Bukuya and Chad Townsend will also line up. Townsend had his first outing for the club in last Wednesday while this will be Bukuya’s first NRL trial for the Vodafone Warriors.

“We always said we would field our best side available and we’re doing that,” said Elliott.
“There’s plenty of quality in this squad, not least the players we had at the Nines who all did a terrific job representing the club at Eden Park.
“People in the Otago and Southland areas should really make a real effort to get along to this game. It’s a great opportunity to see two exceptional talents in Shaun and Sam not to mention the rest of the players we’ll be bringing with us.
“Shaun’s a known quantity and, while we were well aware we were getting someone special with Sam, the New Zealand public saw for themselves last weekend why we’re so excited to have him at the Vodafone Warriors.”
Elliott said he was tempted to play try-scoring record holder Manu Vatuvei but has opted to continue to prepare him for the opening-round encounter with the Parramatta Eels on March 09.
Apart from Johnson and Tomkins, the other Nines players being used are Bukuya, Suaia Matagi (also named in the team of the tournament at the Nines), exciting standoff-halfback Tuimoala Lolohea, Sione Lousi, Glen Fisiiahi, Konrad Hurrell, Charlie Gubb, Dominique Peyroux, Carlos Tuimavave, Solomone Kata and David Fusitua.
In the historic first match between the two clubs in Dunedin last year the Vodafone Warriors won 16-10 against a strong Broncos line-up.
The squad for the trial is: Jayson Bukuya, Glen Fisiiahi, Nathan Friend, David Fusitua, Charlie Gubb, Konrad Hurrell, Shaun Johnson, Solomone Kata, Jacob Lillyman, Tuimoala Lolohea, Sione Lousi, Simon Mannering (captain), Suaia Matagi, Feleti Mateo, Ben Matulino, John Palavi, Dominique Peyroux, Sam Rapira, Jerome Ropati, Sam Tomkins, Chad Townsend, Carlos Tuimavave.

http://www.warriors.co.nz/news-display/NRL-TRIAL-Nines-stars-on-deck/90659

Rich102

Staff member
The Warriors are very much in NRL mode after the diversion of the Auckland Nines and will field a team as close to their best as possible in Sunday's pre-season match against the Broncos in Dunedin.

The club have juggled a couple of pre-season matches in and around the nines but can now focus entirely on their upcoming NRL campaign, which kicks off against the Eels on March 9.

They will take a 22-man squad to Dunedin. Half played in the Auckland Nines, including new recruits Sam Tomkins and Jayson Bukuya, and Shaun Johnson and Simon Mannering will also play their first full-sided game since the World Cup.

"It's a really important game for us," coach Matt Elliott said. "It's a selection trial for a large number of our squad and our only genuine trial to get our systems in place."

Winger Manu Vatuvei (thigh) and Dane Nielsen (leg) have niggling injuries and won't be risked and Ben Henry is suffering knee soreness after missing most of last season.

The Warriors were one club to come through the nines unscathed and they are in a relatively good position heading into a new season.

Kevin Locke (knee) and Thomas Leuluai (groin) are more long-term injury worries and both are likely to miss the start of the campaign.

It makes some selection decisions for the Eels game easier. New signing Chad Townsend is likely to start in the halves if Leuluai isn't fit and Elliott will need to make a decision on where Locke fits in when he returns to full fitness.

Warriors squad to play Brisbane: Jayson Bukuya, Glen Fisiiahi, Nathan Friend, David Fusitua, Charlie Gubb, Konrad Hurrell, Shaun Johnson, Solomone Kata, Jacob Lillyman, Tuimoala Lolohea, Sione Lousi, Simon Mannering (captain), Suaia Matagi, Feleti Mateo, Ben Matulino, John Palavi, Dominique Peyroux, Sam Rapira, Jerome Ropati, Sam Tomkins, Chad Townsend, Carlos Tuimavave.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/league/news/article.cfm?c_id=79&objectid=11204996

Rich102

Staff member
WOW. That looked seriously good.
48-4.
Tomkins slotted in well and was great defensively.
Tuimavave may have found a home.
Fish was solid.
Fusitu'a played well.
Townsend was good.
Bakuya looks class.
Johnson went off and the team kept going.
Really everyone played well. (Well nearly everyone. But enough of that.)
A great hit-out.
Now can we do it against the Eels?

Round 1 does not go down well for the Warriors but yes hopefully this will be the year to conquer all of the Warriors curses which include:

1. Winning a Round 1 game

2. Beating the Dragons

3. Winning more games away

4. Starting Matulino and Matagi

5. Winning the trophy

Big Pete

Referee
Great performance guys, thought it was absolutely top shelf and as a neutral I hope you can deliver that on a regular basis - the Johnson/Tomkins combo is absolutely tantalizing and Townsend may just be the halves partner Johnson needs besides him.

Nice result.
Townsend was solid other than his kick out on the full, made some nice break and read the play well.
Fishi played great on the wing (Manu who?)
Tomkins a great threat and just him being there created Johnsons try, will be interesting to see his defense tested.
Mateo stood up, putting people in gaps.
Solid performance but still a trial, hopefully we have some consistancy from our playmakers this year and pressure for position pushes the team forward.

Blair

Coach
We looked good beating the Broncos last year in a trial, at the same venue, but still got routed away by Parramatta in round one.

spear tackle

Juniors
If this lot can kick on a produce this sort of performace week in and out (and thats if) alot of last years regulars that were not present might have a tough job getting a berth this year.
Looks like we finally have some good compitition for spots.

ozenzud

Juniors
As a "foundation" supporter, I know too well, what a bad idea getting excited at the start of a season is. Every year, every team in the comp, starts with a bit of optimism.

But here I go again. What I liked:

Tompkins: He has brought two things into the warriors. One is a step that can stagger a defensive line and he can then offer oportunities to other players who can exploit a staggered defence (i.e. Johnston and Mateo). The second is a very good width in attack. So combine those two and we have attacking options both up the middle and wide.

Forwards: Do we have some mobility and depth in our forward options? Gubb, Matangi, Rapira, Matalino are all really quite mobile and looking fit, at Louisi's in there.

Pace: The team looks fast doesn't it? Either that or the Broncos are pedestrian.

Townsend: Looked like a turnstyle in the Wigan game but was very good in attack v Broncos. I expect on that footage, if he plays, he will be picked out by opposition in their attack. TJ offers a much better defensive option. But his pass is good and offered a lot of width.

Iafeta

Referee
Can I just say, how good was John Palavi yesterday? His workrate early on was fantastic. The Warriors need to keep close tabs on him and Sebastine Ikahihifo, I really rate these two lads, good work rates and good values.

captainwarrior

Juniors
Can I just say, how good was John Palavi yesterday? His workrate early on was fantastic. The Warriors need to keep close tabs on him and Sebastine Ikahihifo, I really rate these two lads, good work rates and good values.

I agree, Palavi was very good yesterday. He ran the ball hard, and looked likely everytime he touched the footy.

I didn't think Ikahihifo was ready for first grade when he made his debut, but after seeing him in the Nines I'm more than sure that he's ready now.

Also, I must say, based on what I've seen in the Nines and Trials, it seems like Elliot's plans and structures as far as U/20s/NSW Cup/First Grade goes are working very well. Our young guns have impressed me this offseason more than our more experienced players. I think this is the best position we've been in to be successful in quite a few years. A good sign for the season to come.

Swamp

Juniors
Very impressive highlights, I do hope they can replicate that form this season.

Latest posts