What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trial vs Bunnies - Live on NRL.com - Game Day thread

Bazal

Post Whore
That’s true, but not having RCG in the team last year meant that often Evans started. Evans will hopefully be able to provide that impact off the bench now that RCG will be in the starting 13.

I reckon Alvaro will be back to his best this year as well so we shouldn’t lose too much momentum once our starters go off.

I'd almost start Alvaro, if he's in 2018-ish form.

Before the usual suspects accuse me of whatever bullshit, Alvaro at his best is a crazy good defender. Like 40 tackles a game. He could, with N Brown and Mahoney in the middle, set up a real wall early....that allows RCG (who is also a good middle defender) a bit more freedom to just come off the back fence when he comes on and not stress too much. Obviously his form is down recently, so mentally I think that would free him up a bit.

But I do think RCG will start

Happy MEel

First Grade
I'd almost start Alvaro, if he's in 2018-ish form.

Before the usual suspects accuse me of whatever bullshit, Alvaro at his best is a crazy good defender. Like 40 tackles a game. He could, with N Brown and Mahoney in the middle, set up a real wall early....that allows RCG (who is also a good middle defender) a bit more freedom to just come off the back fence when he comes on and not stress too much. Obviously his form is down recently, so mentally I think that would free him up a bit.

But I do think RCG will start
Yeah I don’t think that’s a terrible idea, but I can’t see BA not starting RCG.

hindy111

Post Whore
Terepo is not out of the mix......

His form was terrible last season it 2018 him and Alvaro where awesome

Soto

Bench
Terepo is not out of the mix......

His form was terrible last season it 2018 him and Alvaro where awesome
Don't think anyone is out of the mix..Kaufusi and Stefano will be in contention. Knowing the BA approach its safety first though that's why I think the season will commence with this 4 prop rotation Jnr, RCG, Evans, Alvaro..
Nuikore also plays a fair bit of middle when he comes on too.
Evans on form last year, energy and aggression is an absolute must

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I thought Mahoney did a fantastic job of directing the Eels around the park. He worked well with his forwards and gave both his halves plenty of time and space to work with. It seemed like the Eels kept it extremely simple and sent plenty of traffic down Taaffe and Ilias' way. They stood up for the most part, but it did allow Fonua to use Lane as a decoy to create two tries for the Eels down that left edge.

I thought the middles did well and largely had the Rabbits measure. Evans came up with the best run of the game to set up a raid down the Rabbits left edge. I thought Terepo and Utoikamanu were really strong off the bench and it looked like they were going to blow the game apart for the Eels.

I didn't read a lot into the second half with all the chopping and changing. I found it odd that Arthur had Fonua play on the right edge when all his success came down the left. He looked really uncomfortable after he dropped that ball and I'm not sure if it was because he was in his head too much or if he's just suited to that left hand edge.

Wasn't overly impressed with RCG, but I expect that he'll be used exclusively as a bench forward to make strong carries so I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it.
Fonua went to right centre when Field came on.

Happy MEel

First Grade
Don't think anyone is out of the mix..Kaufusi and Stefano will be in contention. Knowing the BA approach its safety first though that's why I think the season will commence with this 4 prop rotation Jnr, RCG, Evans, Alvaro..
Nuikore also plays a fair bit of middle when he comes on too.
Evans on form last year, energy and aggression is an absolute must
Niukore almost exclusively played in the middle with both Lane and Mau 80 minute edge forwards. I think it will be more of the same this year with Matto and Lane on the edges.

I thought Niukore looked strong in the limited game time during the trial.

Bandwagon

Staff member
My two cents worth

Our forwards consistently won the battle through the middle, both in attack and defence. We have no issues with depth there, apart from maybe too much depth affecting our depth in the outside backs

Defence between the two twenty's was was excellent through the middle, and same inside Souths twenty, right throughout our forward rotation. But our outside backs were poor mostly and Souths got around the too easily. Although again that was mostly down to poor reads from our outside backs.

Goal line defence was very poor, that's a worry. Even considering it's only a trial, still should be able to put up better than that, regardless of which nuffies are there , it's not like we weren't playing against a bunch of nuffies.

Attack wise we were very lacklustre, good at making ground, but no idea what to do with it once we got into Souths twenty, understandable given the roster. It just would have been good to see a bit of creativity from our back up spine, or more threat from our back up centres / wingers.

Of our regular first graders I thought Mahoney was solid, as was Evans, RCG looked OK with limited time, Mennings, despite scoring didn't seem involved enough organising his side of the defence. Alvaro was down on defensive work rate from what i would've expected given his return to carrying less weight. Gower was for mine a standout.

hindy111

Post Whore
I've never taken anything out of a trial match. Teams are just getting some miles in the legs.The intensity is down and everyone knows there place come round 1 in our sqaud. Maybe different if plenty of spots where up for grabs but they are not.
I reckon our 1 -17 is set. Only spot many up for grabs is the no 14. My guess is Taka but Stone or W.Smith might come into contetion.
The back ups will be pushing their claims in NSW cup not in the trials.

Bandwagon

Staff member
I think our bench rotation is still up for grabs. but yeah, for those that are already pencilled in it's just about getting some game time in their legs.

As far as what it means for the actual season proper, it's about looking at our depth, these guys are fighting for a spot, if not as genuine top seventeen, it's as first cab off the rank when injuries / suspension inevitably take their toll.

I'd have liked to have seen better there, we are thin on depth across our entire back line and spine, remembering for the most part these guys are also playing against depth, so it's not like the game is a level above them.

Forwards we are fine though, plenty of depth there. and plenty of blokes who can come in and do a job.

hindy111

Post Whore
I feel our half depth is fine. If we lost one of our halves the fill in would play a very simple and limited role.
Jai Field, Salmon,Taka,W.Smith I reckon are fine for this. If we lost both halves like any team you would be in trouble.
Forward depth is good. Plenty of guys good enough for NRL playing NSW cup.

Backs are pending. Who can fill in for our 1 - 5?

Taka
Salmon
W.Smith
G.J
Parry
Dunster

If Parry, Salmon and Dunster stepped up the depth looks quite good. If they fizzle then it is an issue.

I feel hooker depth is an issue. Mahoney gets injured and we are in massive trouble.

My two cents worth

Our forwards consistently won the battle through the middle, both in attack and defence. We have no issues with depth there, apart from maybe too much depth affecting our depth in the outside backs

Well, the forwards were better than in previous years, but they were walked all over by Newcastle in the early round game and weren't exactly outstanding in either of the Melbourne losses. We also got completely outgrubbed by Canberra in the first game. I agree that depth in the forwards (ex. hooker) is very good.

hindy111

Post Whore
Well, the forwards were better than in previous years, but they were walked all over by Newcastle in the early round game and weren't exactly outstanding in either of the Melbourne losses. We also got completely outgrubbed by Canberra in the first game. I agree that depth in the forwards (ex. hooker) is very good.

The game against Storm was just a lack of experience in halves. We couldn't slow the game down to give our forwards a rest to get some gas.
Moses and Brown will learn to be better here. Was a stage in that game I think at 14 -0 where we could of scored but Gutherson did something silly.... At worse we could of changed the flow of game.

Eelogical

Referee
The game against Storm was just a lack of experience in halves. We couldn't slow the game down to give our forwards a rest to get some gas.
Moses and Brown will learn to be better here. Was a stage in that game I think at 14 -0 where we could of scored but Gutherson did something silly.... At worse we could of changed the flow of game.
The Storm parralysed us, pure and simple. We were playing as if it was extra time against the Broncos. BA should have had them prepared for a grinding win, not a game of hot potato. It was a team effort, not the halves, IMO.

Latest posts