What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trial vs Bunnies - Live on NRL.com - Game Day thread

hindy111

Post Whore
Probably why we looked so lacklustre. It's hard to get motivated against a team full of reserve graders. But we were easily the better team while our NRL forwards were on.

Hard to get motivated for any trial.
Titans where best by the burliegh bears

Chipmunk

Coach
Broncos Dollars lost to Burleigh....

I think the Broncos are going to struggle. You can't expect two 19-20 year old forwards to carry your team. They have ZERO leadership in the joint. The bloke who was one of the last blokes they considered re-signing they have now made Captain. The other bloke they considered as Captain was involved in a highly publicised violent criminal matter in the past (who is incidentally now out for the season).

Soto

Bench
I saw a large chunk of the first half and a little of the second. A few of my thoughts:

- Fonua looked good. A try from a strong run then really nice lead up work to Jenko’s try. Looks like a promising prospect.
- RCG didn’t play for long and didn’t have to do much defence but his carries were strong and it looked like a good hit out for him.
- Reed: crisp service and a nice grubber kick for Dunster’s try.
- Dunster. I didn’t think much from the little I saw of him last year, but I’m liking the look of him. Good pace, nice swerve, great put down for his try.
- Marata looked really strong. Some powerful runs.
- Evans had a solid hit out.
- Alvaro has dropped some weight which I think will help him this year.
- Davies offers very little but is a solid defender.
- Ray Stone. If you missed it, get onto the NRL app or website and check out the hit he put on some poor Souths bloke.
- Jenko looks really fit. Might be my imagine but appears leaner.

There’s probably more I’ve forgotten but that’s my take.
Fonua reminds me of Inu.
Deceptively strong and skillful.
Seen him play a few times now and does impress..definitely one to watch and Dunster has definitely jumped ahead of Parry and Gennings. Played well in the 9's and the trial last night. Has bulked up and seems to be fairly quick too.

Big Pete

Referee
I thought Mahoney did a fantastic job of directing the Eels around the park. He worked well with his forwards and gave both his halves plenty of time and space to work with. It seemed like the Eels kept it extremely simple and sent plenty of traffic down Taaffe and Ilias' way. They stood up for the most part, but it did allow Fonua to use Lane as a decoy to create two tries for the Eels down that left edge.

I thought the middles did well and largely had the Rabbits measure. Evans came up with the best run of the game to set up a raid down the Rabbits left edge. I thought Terepo and Utoikamanu were really strong off the bench and it looked like they were going to blow the game apart for the Eels.

I didn't read a lot into the second half with all the chopping and changing. I found it odd that Arthur had Fonua play on the right edge when all his success came down the left. He looked really uncomfortable after he dropped that ball and I'm not sure if it was because he was in his head too much or if he's just suited to that left hand edge.

Wasn't overly impressed with RCG, but I expect that he'll be used exclusively as a bench forward to make strong carries so I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it.

Noise

Coach
I thought Mahoney did a fantastic job of directing the Eels around the park. He worked well with his forwards and gave both his halves plenty of time and space to work with. It seemed like the Eels kept it extremely simple and sent plenty of traffic down Taaffe and Ilias' way. They stood up for the most part, but it did allow Fonua to use Lane as a decoy to create two tries for the Eels down that left edge.

I thought the middles did well and largely had the Rabbits measure. Evans came up with the best run of the game to set up a raid down the Rabbits left edge. I thought Terepo and Utoikamanu were really strong off the bench and it looked like they were going to blow the game apart for the Eels.

I didn't read a lot into the second half with all the chopping and changing. I found it odd that Arthur had Fonua play on the right edge when all his success came down the left. He looked really uncomfortable after he dropped that ball and I'm not sure if it was because he was in his head too much or if he's just suited to that left hand edge.

Wasn't overly impressed with RCG, but I expect that he'll be used exclusively as a bench forward to make strong carries so I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it.
RCG will be a starter not a bench forward.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
RCG will be a starter not a bench forward.

I know that is probably going to happen.

But do we want our 2 biggest / best props of at the same time? Last year it seem at times we “struggled” a bit when Paulo was of, maybe it wouId be better to bring RCG on after 20 mins or so, so we don’t have our 2 best props off at the same time.

Happy MEel

First Grade
I know that is probably going to happen.

But do we want our 2 biggest / best props of at the same time? Last year it seem at times we “struggled” a bit when Paulo was of, maybe it wouId be better to bring RCG on after 20 mins or so, so we don’t have our 2 best props off at the same time.
That’s true, but not having RCG in the team last year meant that often Evans started. Evans will hopefully be able to provide that impact off the bench now that RCG will be in the starting 13.

I reckon Alvaro will be back to his best this year as well so we shouldn’t lose too much momentum once our starters go off.