What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trial vs Central Coast.

Rich102

Staff member
Warriors centre Jerome Ropati breathed a sigh of relief when the whistle sounded at Whangarei's Toll Stadium tonight.
The 27-year-old spent the last 10 months sidelined after seriously injuring his knee against St George Illawarra last season but made his comeback for the Warriors in their final pre-season match against the touring Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles.
Named skipper for the match, Ropati led the side to a 68-10 drubbing over the Queensland Cup side and signalled he's set to enter his 10th NRL season fighting fit.
"For me mentally, this was a great hit-out,'' Ropati said. "It has put me in a good mindset to hopefully play in round one. Ten months is a long time. I was a bit rusty but I'm pleased with my fitness.
"My knee held up pretty well. I started to feel it after some heavy tackling but it was fine.''
While the Sunshine Coast weren't up to the standard of NRL sides, Ropati said their size and structure provided a good test for the Warriors who face Manly in a grand final rematch in round one of the NRL at Eden Park on March 4.
It took the Warriors only six minutes to begin their romp over the tourists, with prop Ben Matulino running in the first of 13 tries.
Stamping his mark on the game, Ropati helped set up the Warriors' second try, sending big winger Ivan Penehe into score the first of his two tries, and scoring one of his own in the second half.
Warriors centre Konrad Hurrell, who penned a new Warriors deal during the week, dodged four defenders before offloading to Ropati in a show of strength. The 20-year-old rugby union covert has improved in each of the Warriors three pre-season hitouts, and impressed again tonight with his pace and power fending off tacklers and gaining huge metres.
After playing for the Auckland Vulcans last week, centre Krisnan Inu had a strong presence in the second half after a quiet first spell, scoring two tries and landing four conversions after he took over the kicking duties from Kevin Locke.
With regular props Jacob Lillyman and Sam Rapira out with a bicep and shoulder injury respectively, coach Brian McClennan looked to Matulino and Russell Packer to hold the fort. They did that job well, with Matulino adding another try to his first. McClennan later said the pair along with Sione Lousi would be in the mix for round one.
Sunshine Coast struggled to penetrate the Warriors' defensive line, although skipper Todd Henry was a standout for the visitors, making several breaks and positioning his side well to send Kane Richards over in the first half. Their only other try came late in the match, when Campbell Stewart scored when the Warriors relaxed their otherwise relentless defence.
Apart from a handful of errors, it was a clinical display from a well-drilled Warriors outfit.
With Micheal Luck, Jacob Lillyman, Sam Rapira and Steve Rapira all injured and unavailable for round one, not adding to the injury toll was a huge relief for McClennan.
"We've come through with flying colours, which is a big positive for us,'' he said. "Obviously the big one for us was Jerome Ropati, having not played for 10 months. For him to make a good comeback is great.''
The squad will now concentrate on their round one clash with Manly, who succumbed 26-12 to Leeds in a heated World Club Challenge encounter at Headingley this weekend.
"Although Manly lost overnight, they will be back to their best for the opener. They are the benchmark team in the NRL,'' McClennan said.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10786479

Rich102

Staff member
Very hard to take too much from the trials. The games were very one sided. Warriors 68-10 over Sunshine Coast and the Vulcans 48-10 over the Juniors.

A few thoughts:
Peta Hiku who played fullback for the Juniors is very fast.
Malakai Houma for the Juniors is very big.
Jordan Meads captained the side but they lacked cohesion.
Omar looked disinterested. Havili went well.
Braxton Stanley had some good moments as did Toka Likiliki.

For the Vulcans it was good to see Rusty Bristow back. He had a good game alongside Ruebenn Williams.
Nuivao Taka went well on the wing.
The forwards out-muscled the juniors and Tulson Caird, Agnatius Paasi and Herman Retzlaff got through a lot of work.
I hadn't realised before how big D J Collier is. He is huge.

On to the main game.
The power of the Warriors was just too much for the Coast.
Konrad Hurrell was a powerhouse. However I can't see him at centre - his wing would never see the ball. He runs a lot sideways but when he straightens he really cuts through. Hard to gauge against this opposition but he looks ready.
Carlos Tuimavave played at centre or wing. Looked sharp and might get a shot this year.
Locke had a good game but Fisiiahi scored a scorcher of a try, nobody laid a hand on him. Shame these two are competing for the same spot.
Inu was Inu. Dawdled on the wing and then was brilliant in bursts. Physically very solid.
Packer & Matulino were awesome.
Ta'ai was solid - did nothing silly.
John Palavi was good.
Godinet went well - I think we may look forward to a Johnson/ Godinet halves pairing sometime in the future.
Ben Henry was very good. Put in the effort, had some nice touches and no mistakes.
Ropati had a good game back; looks a bit fragile on his leg. I think he will struggle to get re-signed.
Standout for me was Lewis Brown. Was everywhere. Set up good ball. Seems to be able to make gaps in the opposition defence at will. I think the 14 jersey will be his but he deserves a starting spot.

Be interested to hear others opinions.

Last edited:

Rich102

Staff member
The Junior Warriors couldn't stay with the Auckland Vulcans in yesterday's trial at Toll Stadium in Whangarei, losing 10-48 to last year's New South Wales Cup grand finalists.
It was a graphic example of young players being tested by a line-up comprising far more seasoned players, although the Vulcans didn't have any Warriors players in their squad for this outing.
By halftime the Vulcans were well ahead 28-6 after a period in which the Junior Warriors were rarely able to apply any pressure due to a succession of errors. They weren't helped either by the loss of big prop Toka Likiliki with a knee injury after he had made a big bust.
Ultimately, though, the Vulcans were not only too experienced but were also well organised as they profited from a healthy supply of the ball.
Winger Niuvao Taka was unstoppable as he grabbed three of his side's 10 tries while four of the other try scorers were former Junior Warriors Agnatius Paasi, Rusty Bristow, Henry Chan-Ting and Daniel Palavi. Coming on the field late and kicking two conversions was DJ Collier, who scored 312 points for Junior Warriors last year when he led all scorers in the competition.
There were only slim pickings for the Junior Warriors after playing their earlier trials against Auckland club sides and the Wellington Orcas 20s. Halfback Jordan Meads ran 60 metres for an intercept try in the first half while Adam Tuimavave-Gerrrard scored the team's only other try late in the contest.

Auckland Vulcans 48 (Niuvao Taka 3, Agnatius Paasi, Rusty Bristow, James Blackwell, Ruebenn Williams, Henry Chan-Ting, Daniel Palavi, Manu Mau tries; Willie towers 2 conversions; DJ Collier 2 conversions). Junior Warriors 10 (Jordan Meads, Adam Tuimavave-Gerrard tries; Braxton Stanley conversion).
Halftime: 28-6.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10786560&ref=rss

Rich102

Staff member
Rich, do you reckon Ropo will go ok for this season?

Don't know mate.
McLennan has said he is the first choice centre in the squad, so it appears he has impressed Bluey.
I think he still has a bit of a limp and the hard grounds won't help that.
For me Ropo is an attacking centre. Him and Manu together in defence are going to leak more points than they score. You would have to think the same with Hurrell.
I think Carlos Tuimavave could be the bolter at centre. Good brain, fast and sets up his outside man. Ben Henry must be in the frame too.
Interesting times ahead.