What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tribute to Smithy

parralight

Juniors
Hurri and Bigfella - I respect both of your opinions.
1. Most of these players have only ever played under Smithy in big time football.
2. Of course whilst Smithy is head coach they arnt going to come out and say that hes not the best - esp given that Smithy is renown for playing his favourites.
3. To in any way blame the supporters for the clubs misfortune is laughable.
4. At the end of the day the coach has a roster of players and his job is to pick the best 17 for the week. If he fails then the coach is responsible
5. Brian Smith - an excellent bloke ( but maybe too nice to his underperforming players ) but he stayed 5 years too long.

Parra Guru

Coach
But this one's for Morgs.....

istockphoto_504008_rude_crude.jpg

Just kidding :lol:

strider

Post Whore
All the brainless gutless f**ks who wanna think they are big brave boys behind their keyboards - please go off to one of the other brian bashing threads and post your mindless stupidity.

Brian was one of the pioneers of taking NRL coaching into the professional level it is today .... he did alot for our club regardless of whether there was an extra trophey in the cabinet or not - if people can't recognise that then they are nuffys.

Thanks for all the years of effort and stress you put into our club and best of luck in the future.

matteels

Juniors
yeah i agree with you f.p. no matter what your opinion of the guy, this is a sad way for it to end...at the begining of the year i was haoping for parra to win this year for brian...but some things were just not meant to happen, i guess this is one of them

Nickeel

Juniors
Bigfella said:
The types of posts appearing since the news broke suggest to me that this will cause a lot of hurt and other negative emotions.

I think the real reason Parramatta have 0 premierships since 1986 (ie before BS was even coaching first grade) is the divisive, cannabilistic attitude of supporters. At the first sign of pressure we turn on ourselves. We seem to rejoice in attacking our own.

As the only coach who has got us to the semi finals since 1986 (let alone a grand final and two minor premierships in the most competitive era of rugby league) I wish Brian all the best.

He is probably better off not coaching a side with supporters who behave like they have since he stood down.

Hit the nail on the head. I have said as much in a few posts recently.

The worst thing about our club, when all is said and done, are some of our bleating, moronic fans. Fickle as hell. Sure, we all demand results, and sport is all about results, but geez - there is always a pall of negativity hanging around this club, enervated by the idiots who would turn on players, the coach or the team after one bad performance, let alone a few.

No wonder we fall to pieces when the pressure is on. I wouldn't want to put my body on the line in the face of constant, braindead criticism from no-nothing fools who turn on you at the first error, either. For shame, Parramatta.

Nick

El Diablo

Post Whore
Nickeel said:
I think it is for the best that he is going, as a change is what is needed before the season cannot even mathematically be salvaged. But he has been dicked around by Fitzgerald, who himself must go.

Nick

dicked by Fitzgerald?

The amount of times Fitzy stuck up for Smith on 2GB is unbelievable.

They even stopped sponsoring the show because of Smith bashing

parralight

Juniors
Nickeel said:
Hit the nail on the head. I have said as much in a few posts recently.

The worst thing about our club, when all is said and done, are some of our bleating, moronic fans. Fickle as hell. Sure, we all demand results, and sport is all about results, but geez - there is always a pall of negativity hanging around this club, enervated by the idiots who would turn on players, the coach or the team after one bad performance, let alone a few.

No wonder we fall to pieces when the pressure is on. I wouldn't want to put my body on the line in the face of constant, braindead criticism from no-nothing fools who turn on you at the first error, either. For shame, Parramatta.

Nick

Parra fans ? Fickle ????? we are the most understanding and loyal fans around. There is NOTHING more gut wrenching than being an eels fan. !!!!

parralight

Juniors
El Diablo said:
dicked by Fitzgerald?

The amount of times Fitzy stuck up for Smith on 2GB is unbelievable.

They even stopped sponsoring the show because of Smith bashing
I agree entirely.

Any other club would have sacked smithy ages ago.

Denis Fitzgerald is the best thing that this club has. A great great man for the club.

parralight

Juniors
strider said:
All the brainless gutless f**ks who wanna think they are big brave boys behind their keyboards - please go off to one of the other brian bashing threads and post your mindless stupidity.

Brian was one of the pioneers of taking NRL coaching into the professional level it is today .... he did alot for our club regardless of whether there was an extra trophey in the cabinet or not - if people can't recognise that then they are nuffys.

Thanks for all the years of effort and stress you put into our club and best of luck in the future.

Strider - Relax - its just business - at the end we all support the eels and agree that Brian is a wonderful man.

strider

Post Whore
parralight said:
Strider - Relax - its just business - at the end we all support the eels and agree that Brian is a wonderful man.

nah, serious - this one thread was made for ppl to post their happy goodbyes in - anyone who wants to be lame and do otherwise should move on elsewhere

pk76

Juniors
Bigfella said:

I think the real reason Parramatta have 0 premierships since 1986 (ie before BS was even coaching first grade) is the divisive, cannabilistic attitude of supporters. At the first sign of pressure we turn on ourselves. We seem to rejoice in attacking our own.

As the only coach who has got us to the semi finals since 1986 (let alone a grand final and two minor premierships in the most competitive era of rugby league) I wish Brian all the best.

He is probably better off not coaching a side with supporters who behave like they have since he stood down.

Astute observation. It is a sad indication of people when they can't remember only a decade ago...

I am feeling very sad for Brian as he does not deserve this.

Hurriflatch

Referee
Brian Smith is a coach that can build a team but can't take that final step.

thats why he could be very good for Newcastle

He'll get a few years (2-3) after Johns retires to build the side then he'll get punted from the Knights and another coach to come in and take over then get the Knights to the next stage.

This year Brian has made a lot of errors and there have been players that have disagreed with Smith in the past and also players who have gone onto better things at other clubs but you can find cases of the same with every single coach in the comp even Tim Sheens while successfull and Canberra and the Tigers was pathetic when coaching the Cowboys.

Clinton Schifcofske who left because he wasn't getting picked in 1st grade has since come out in the press and said that Brian Smith taught him a lot about the game and made him a much better player.

Yes, Brian Smith isn't perfect but who is
Yes, Brian may have hung around too long

But to underestimate what he has done for the club taking the side from one of the worst in the comp to where they were prior to round 1 2006 is stupid.

if it wasn't for Smith, Parramatta would be just like Souths unable to get any top line talent and the best of the local juniors being poached by other clubs.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
he didn't get us a premiership, but I think he did more good than bad

parralight

Juniors
Brian
If you are reading this - Thanks for everything.
You are a wonderful bloke and the times that Ive conversed with you, you always took the time out.
Thanks for everything you have done for the wonderful eels and I wish you all the best in the future.

cureme

Juniors
Wanna say well done Brian, you have brought this club a long way, just sorry you did't get to take a parra premiership with you as you deserved it. All the best at Newcastle mate.

rowdy

First Grade
altho i havn't always agreed with smithy...he is a very good coach. He's always had the eels best interests at heart for 10 years and have always been concerned with the way the team performs for the fans...you and me...

fish eel

Immortal
I'd like to thank Brian Smith for being responsible for some of the most exhilarating moments I've ever experienced as a Parramatta supporter.