What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Triple J Hottest 100 2009

Paullyboy

Coach
JJJ don't respect the taste of anyone who dares to listen to commercial radio if their constant ads bagging out commercial radio through the H100 are anything to go by, so why should we respect what they do?

While they play a lot of the same songs as Nova, whilst claiming the hipster high ground and spitting on them for playing THE EXACT SAME SONGS AS THEY PLAY (which the listeners of both Nova and JJJ seem to enjoy) I think tearing the H100 a new one is fair game.

The thing is, the songs that are played on both stations originated (for Australian audiences anyway) on triple J. Anywhere between 3 and 9 months later it makes its way to Nova as "new music" if they consider it a song that they can turn into a "hit" (i.e. a song they play 5 times an hour, every hour, untill people hate it - effectively making room for their new "hit" they stole from the JJJ playlist 5 months ago).

Flapper

First Grade
Maybe so, but I have the feeling the old JJJ would've just been happy at music getting wider exposure, lately it's turning to jealous ads like I mentioned, probably because the only place they can get a commanding audience share is somewhere where they have no other FM competition. Michael Tunn wasn't happy about the whole change in station thinking either:

http://www.crikey.com.au/2007/07/31/the-trouble-with-triple-j/

Here's a blog I found while googling that interview. Bit old, still extremely relevant in the point I'm trying to make:

http://blog.adonline.id.au/triple-j-is-losing-touch-and-the-ratings/

Paullyboy

Coach
Yeah that's a fair point. I'll be honest, my interest in the J's has waned with the move away from indie-rock type bands - but I'd still take it any day of the week over any of the commercial stations.

I think what the JJJ teasing is getting at (and it's something I whole-heartedly agree with) is that when a commercial station gets a hold of a song, they do everything in their power to suffocate every note out of it. I still don't understand how anyone wants to listen to one song more than once a day - let alone more than once an hour. But that's what commercial stations do for some reason and it effectively kills music.

hrundi99

First Grade
you were at that little gig at Spectrum a few years back?

God that was great fun.

As was the 'between the bridges' toiur at, IIRC the old 'Goldmans' room at Newtown RSL.

I went to both shows at the Spectrum. It was a shame they could only justify that size venue but it made them great intimate shows for the band and the punters.

Yeah I went to the Goldmans show as well and ended up having a few beers with Chris Murphy at the Townie afterwards.

Latest posts