What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Triple M 2016 Grand Final

watch that doco on NRL.com
Bird hurts that shoulder the game before.
I only noticed it last night.
15 in a row has also been largely forgotten.
Only 2 teams had done it in 100 years or something.
I loved it, even though I think some of it was the Vossy commentary from the DVD pack? Please correct me if I'm wrong

Eion

First Grade
Watched the doco it was grouse. Also noticed that when Lewie slides in and almost scores in the GF, the tackler actually fell off for a time where he could have promoted the ball legally. Hadn’t seen that before Also, he could have passed it back to jimmy anyway. Friggen loser.

SadShark

Bench
There’s something in that squad, that seems like it’s missing with this squad. There’s been interviews on Podcasts, with 2016 team members and the thing they spoke about, was the trust in one another and the comradery.

The comradery. How’s that going with the 2020 squad? Guys mentioned that shaped that winning culture were Lewie, Heighno, Gal and Ennis. Those blokes steered the young talent right and kept them on track. Is that still happening with this squad? If not, I couldn’t be f**ked if 2020 resumes or not.

Chimp

Bench
There’s something in that squad, that seems like it’s missing with this squad. There’s been interviews on Podcasts, with 2016 team members and the thing they spoke about, was the trust in one another and the comradery.

The comradery. How’s that going with the 2020 squad? Guys mentioned that shaped that winning culture were Lewie, Heighno, Gal and Ennis. Those blokes steered the young talent right and kept them on track. Is that still happening with this squad? If not, I couldn’t be f**ked if 2020 resumes or not.
The only player in the squad that shows anything like that sort of leadership is Wade, and he’s pretty much a Lone Ranger in that regard. Feefs is clearly a popular team man, but I fear not a great influence.
As you say, that 2016 team had a good group of leaders and team men, mixed with out and out winners like Jimmy and some x-factor in Barba, Bird and Val.
What does the 2016 vs likely 20’ squad look like based on how they were playing in 2016 compared to 2020 current form;
Barba>Moylan - Barba by a mile
Feki=Duges - Duges better when fit, but isn’t
Bird=Ramien - Similar potential, Birdy was awesome all year though
Loots>Xerri - Xerri more potential, but Loots ultra consistent
Val>Ronaldo - Val was the finished product in 16, Ronaldo lots of potential
Jimmy>SJ - Jimmy by a mile
Chad=Chad - blah
Feefs>2020 Feefs - 16 Feefs was comfortable best in world, 20 Feefs is cooked
Ennis>Brailey - Ennis by 100 miles
Prior=Woods - both solid, Prior had some big defensive plays and responsibility
Lewis>Nikora - Lewis by 100 miles
Wade>2020 Wade - 16’ Wade was awesome, 20’ Wade still could be
Gal>Williams - No contest
Heighno>Rudolph - Rudolph may turn out a better performer, but Heighno was a leader
Beale=Tracey - Beale was important, Tracey could potentially offer more
Taga<BHU - BHU is better, but Taga was again a solid replacement
Boogs>Sorensen - Boogs easy

In my mind, that makes it;
- 6 positions where 2016 where streets ahead of 2020 - worryingly including 1,6,9 14
- 4 where 16 were just better than 20
- 5 where the difference is minimal
- 2 where there is more potential in 2020

If you were making a combined 16/20 team, based on performances that year, mine would be;
Barba
Feki
Bird
Loots
Val
Jimmy
16 Chad
16 Feefs
Ennis
Prior
Lewis
16 Wade
Gal

BHU
Heighno (maybe Woods)
Ronaldo
Boogs

That’s 2, maybe 3 of current squad getting a game.

Latest posts