What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

trophies, good, bad and ugly

Gibbo

Juniors
Every NRL Gf i'm proud when the victors hold up the trophy, as i personally believe it is one of the most impressive trophies in world sport, as it celebrates the history of our game and the bond between those who take part in it.

So i was wondering what other sports trophies people on these pages rated. My list is something like this;;

The good:
NRL trophy
JJ Gillitain shield
RL World cup (original dustbin one, not the small stand in)
Stanely cup (NHL-got to love thos big arse trophies)
Bledisloe cup (respect where respects due, another big bertha trophy)
Challenge cup (history wise)
Vince Lombardi trophy (NFL-flash)
A-league trophy (not everyones cup of tea but i love the dunny seat)
Ashes (original)
Maher cup
That crystal one with the lion, kangaroo, kiwi and rooster that sits in the league club

The Bad:
Super League UK/Europe trophy (not a lot of thought in this one)
MLB World series trophy (spoons)
AFL trophy (A big cup! How original)
RL WC mini cup (rip off of the union one)
Ashes (new)
Any of the new domestic cricket trophies
97 SL trophy (half-arsed rip off of Lombardi trophy)

The could be better:
State of Origin shield (pretty basic for what goes into it)
Tri-nations (again, pretty bland)
NBL trophy
QLD cup trophy (more thought needed boys)

What does everyone on here think? Anyone got any to add/or some good trophy pics? i'd love to see some sort of glossy coffee table book dedicated to rl trophies released for next year's Australian centennary

Dogaholic

First Grade
NRL trophy
JJ Gillitain shield
World Cup - probably the greatest trophy
FA Cup
Champions League
EPL

Tom Shines

First Grade
Good ones:
The Ashes
FA Cup
FIFA World Cup
Cricket World Cup
NRL trophy

Crap ones:
Union World Cup (awkward shape)
Super League Trophy (football on a traffic cone)
A League (toilet seat)

Gibbo

Juniors
Yeh i forgot about the FIFA world cup trophy, that one's pretty sweet. The old on was pretty cool too....

Gibbo

Juniors
What Melbourne will be trying to avoid

_40797071_sinfield_203x270gi.jpg

hindmarsh4pm

Juniors
nothing beats the nhl stanley cup, its huge and just keeps growing, what i love about that one is that is has every players name who played on the winning side engraved on it...awesome

axl rose

Bench
J.J. Giltinan Shield was the best. When the Winfield cup was introduced no-one really cared anymore, which is a shame because it had so much tradition. Like all League tradition its now may as well be consigned to the scrapheap because no-one gives a toss who finishes minor premiers.

Lego_Man

First Grade
The Webb Ellis trophy is the worst trophy known to man in the history of sport. Dont know what the f**k they were thinking when they designed such a sh*tty little thing, just looks like a joke. Maybe its proportional to the administrator's penis size compared to other trophies.

hrundi99

First Grade
The Stanley Cup is easily the best.

By the way, it doesn't keep getting bigger. When the bottom hoop is full the top hoop is removed and they are moved up. The removed hoop is flattened and stored in a vault at the Hall of Fame. Believe me, I've touched the Cup and been in the vault. :cool:

Stanley_Cup.jpg

gretzky.jpg

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
What a f**king ridiculously sized trophy :lol:

In all seriousness - best is ours, worst is A-League.

trophy.jpg

Who thought that crap up?

hrundi99

First Grade
It features the names of all the players and support staff from the winning team for each season.

It has to be big.