What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Try of the year?

Danish

Referee
Johnson's against the Broncos is the clear individual try of the year. Beat half the team from deep inside his own half, and it wasn't even broken play.

The roosters would have to go close to team try of the year with Carney's try against the storm last night. Sideline to sideline passing, offloads, beautiful ball to put graham through who also managed to reach back one handed to make the catch then put in a pinpoint accurate kick while tip toeing down the sideline, then for Anasta to scream through and bat it back for the try (which wasn't an easy pick up off the bootlaces either really).

Anyone who think's Barba's is the winner is a goose. Last year we were all rightfully blowing up at those sorts of put downs (remember Gasnier's effort?).... why they've become legit is beyond me.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
barba's

who cares if it was just a put down. it was an amazing effort from a freak of a kid

Great effort but miles off the try of the year.

Try of the year definitely comes from August 6. Either Johnson or Mead will do me.

We're all thinking recently though...any from the first half of the year?

Slackboy72

Coach
Manly have put on a couple of pearlers in the last few weeks. In particular that one where they did the banana kick and stewart picked it up on the half volley and offloaded in one movement.
Penrith's second against the Dragons was low on flash but high on quality.
My personal favourite though was Soward to Nightingale on friday night but that's heavily loaded with bias though.

[FKN-SIK]

Juniors
Hard to split Barba & Mead's efforts. Closely followed by Shaun Johnson running past the entire Broncos team on his own.

There has been some outstanding tries this year. Feel sorry for the people who have to make the final decision lol

firechild

First Grade
Manly have put on a couple of pearlers in the last few weeks. In particular that one where they did the banana kick and stewart picked it up on the half volley and offloaded in one movement.
Penrith's second against the Dragons was low on flash but high on quality.
My personal favourite though was Soward to Nightingale on friday night but that's heavily loaded with bias though.

I'd go with the DCE try. Foran's banana kick which is picked up by Stewart and offloaded to DCE as he's falling to the ground. The look on Ballin's face of "wtf just happened?" sums up the whole movement.

Chook Norris

First Grade
Johnson's against the Broncos is the clear individual try of the year. Beat half the team from deep inside his own half, and it wasn't even broken play.

The roosters would have to go close to team try of the year with Carney's try against the storm last night. Sideline to sideline passing, offloads, beautiful ball to put graham through who also managed to reach back one handed to make the catch then put in a pinpoint accurate kick while tip toeing down the sideline, then for Anasta to scream through and bat it back for the try (which wasn't an easy pick up off the bootlaces either really).

Anyone who think's Barba's is the winner is a goose. Last year we were all rightfully blowing up at those sorts of put downs (remember Gasnier's effort?).... why they've become legit is beyond me.

^this. Phil Graham's try v Manly should also be up for contention and would've received greater recognition had the game not been decided at the time.

And tbh, I usually don't rate freakish push downs as amazing trys when others such as Johnson, J.Carney or Graham involve so much more skill, effort and wow factor

PaddyBoy

Juniors
Gonna write an article on the roar I think. Just got to get around the NRL's fierce opposition to promotion of itself to get video working.

Just saw the Carney try, and it was pretty glorious. Warriors 02 style.

jonno_knights

Juniors
What about the one Penrith scored with 1second left on the clock against Parra to send it to GP, it'd have to be up there. Cracking try and a crucial stage of the game.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Give me a team try anyday. Mead and Barbara were good to watch, Johnson was the best individual effort. But many better tries this year by many teams.

mongoose

Coach
I am hopeful to upload a collection of the best tries to youtube during this week.

Can you please not include a heap of intercept tries? I hate watching "greatest tries" videos and seeing videos of wingers taking an intercept 10m out from their line and running 90m in a straight line and placing it down. Don't see whats so great about that but everyone seems to love that shit..

Rod

Bench
Johnson number one for me. Stepping through and around the Broncos defence, they barely got a hand on him. He wasn't stepping around muppets either.

Mead's probably next on the pure skill/luck (take your pick) of the pick up.

Don't consider Barba's one a try so would probably have Graham's third. If it had been scored by a team going a lot better like the Tigers it probably would have got more love.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Johnson V broncos for me. I really liked the one from brett stewarts offload v brisbane in the double header as well

user_nat

Coach
Johnson for sure.

Hopefully he won't come up with anything else like that for at least a week or so.

Didgi

Agreeing with biased Manly supporters :crazy: Foran's banana for Stewart, picks it up on the half volley, passes under his arm as he's falling, to a steaming DCE who scores under the posts.

Johnson's was an excellent piece of skill, but I thought the above was better overall because of the elements involved in that it was a set play involving three different players rather than opportunistic broken play. In no way detracting from the effort though.

I'd love to be biased and say KFFL's awesome try v Parra, but we see put-downs/finishes as good as that fairly often now. It's a great advertisement for the game.

Wow factor: Mead's
Individual skill: Johnson
Team combinations/communication/skill: DCE's

Last edited:

Mr Fourex

Bench
I thought Manly's first last week was a cracker. Foran under the sticks after a cross lick from Lyon. All started by DCE

Good stuff........

but Johnson's as an individual effort/brilliance......hard to beat

Latest posts