What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tuimavave --> Knights

LeagueNut

First Grade
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...zealand-warriors/story-e6frexnr-1225770308682

THE day after they qualified for the NRL play-offs for the first time in three years, Newcastle has announced the signing of experienced Warriors prop Evarn Tuimavave for the next two seasons.

A New Zealand international, Tuimavave will bolster a Knights forward pack that has been without injured first choice props Ben Cross and Dan Tolar for most of this season.

Meanwhile, the Knights have been boosted in the build-up to Saturday night’s clash with the Bulldogs with injured hooker Isaac de Gois not as bad as first thought and given a real chance of taking his place in the starting lineup.

macavity

Referee
care to share your thoughts on him with us guys?

will he break into our (fit) prop rotation?

LeagueNut

First Grade
I thought he'd come back really well from his injury that kept him out for most of the season, better than I thought he would anyway.

I'm sorry to see him go but I guess at the end of the day he's been around since 2002 without really nailing down a spot. How long do you give a guy to "make it"?

Meth

Staff member
Good pick up macavity. Many of us wanted to keep him, including myself.

Good work rate- great coming off the bench and has the ability to be a ball player.

Iafeta

Referee
He'll be a top signing for Newcastle. I can't believe we can't keep Ah Mau or Tuimavave let alone both of them. It'll be weird seeing him in another club's jumper.

He's been one of my favourite Warriors, I hope he gets more minutes at Newcastle because he can be a dominant prop when given time to get into a game. I don't think he's an impact prop as he's been played to be.

NZ Warrior

First Grade
With us releasing the likes of Tuimavave & Ah Mau, you have to hope the club is building up for a big Forwards signing. Or else, we have just lost a maturing player and a very promising junior.

Tuimavave is a great pick up for the Knights, he is going to keep progressing well into a great Kiwi prop. And if we are comparing apples with apples, Jesse Royal for Evarn Tuimavave, I'd say the Knights have won that ledger hands down.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
With us releasing the likes of Tuimavave & Ah Mau, you have to hope the club is building up for a big Forwards signing. Or else, we have just lost a maturing player and a very promising junior.

Tuimavave is a great pick up for the Knights, he is going to keep progressing well into a great Kiwi prop. And if we are comparing apples with apples, Jesse Royal for Evarn Tuimavave, I'd say the Knights have won that ledger hands down.

Maybe now we'll get into a swap deal like we have with the Cowboys? Where we take their dregs and we give them our promising up-and-comers.

In all honesty, I am not too phased about Evarn going. Like someone said, he's been around for ages and there's not really been any signs of him becoming a consistent first-grade performer.

I would think the Warriors would be wary that his recent decent bout of form has a lot to do with contract negotiations. Last year, apart from a barnstormer v the Raiders at home, I don't remember too much from him.

In saying that, I think he might kick on in Newcastle out of his comfort zone and having to perform to keep his spot.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I'm sorry to see him go but I guess at the end of the day he's been around since 2002 without really nailing down a spot. How long do you give a guy to "make it"?

I dunno the exact numbers but was under the impression Evarn had played almost every game for the last 2 seasons prior to this one

He hadn't nailed a starting spot but he sure had a spot in the 17

Rich102

Staff member
Yep. With Price & Wiki in the squad all he was going to get was a bench spot. And he got plenty of those.

Still, as Cleary reportedly said, and was contridicted by Price, 2010 starts now. Does this mean the new season will continue to see us sell off our local players without having replacements in place?

Evarn deserved to be resigned more than others!

Revelation 3:20

Juniors
The move should be good for him, I dont think its a massive blow. He tends to give away penalties and is a bit lazy on D sometimes. Warriors MUST be buying an experienced Prop if they let Evarn and Ah Mau go - are they still looking at Webb? are there any others?

African Monkey

First Grade
In 2006 the guy was outstanding I thought. I definitely thought he'd be a regular in the Kiwis by now. I'll probably get criticised by this but I thought that Ruben Wiki held him back in 2007-2008 when he was definitely ready to break into the starting lineup.

One Warrior

Bench
Crazy, we are going to be short of props, unless we make another signing, and Lillyman is converted, Lillyman has played best as a prop even though he may not like the position, must play there if he wants to play a game next year. Matulino is not a prop and must be kept as a back rower.

Martli

Coach
In 2006 the guy was outstanding I thought. I definitely thought he'd be a regular in the Kiwis by now. I'll probably get criticised by this but I thought that Ruben Wiki held him back in 2007-2008 when he was definitely ready to break into the starting lineup.

Completely agree.

Good buy for Newcastle imo. I really wanted us to sign him up, spends most of the season out with a neck injury and comes back in the last few games to be one of our better players. What the f**k is this club doing with its squad...

Juniors
Matulino should have a good off season, after his first whole season in the NRL. The Warriors shouldnt make the same mistake as Sheen at the Tigers - Playing Harrison at Prop. When He is a natural backrower, now flurishing at the Raiders. Ben should be given free reign next year on the paddock, let him roam, we should see him develope more.

We must have a prop coming, it would be silly to let two good Props go and not get any in return. Lillyman be position is Left Right Out.
Luck has made over 1000 tackles this year, but He's made 0 good hit-up's.
So Evarn is gone, whats next...

Rapira and Price starting.. Packer/Royal on the bench.

Matulino/Lillyman and tai'i have all had stints at Prop.
If Tai'i does a grubber like the one against the Storm again i'll sack him myself

Laban/Gavet/King - Under20's
Herman Retzlaff/Poching/ - Vulcans

Juniors
The Main players the Warriors MUST KEEP at the mo are; Manu, Locke, Mannering, Rapira, Johnson, Packer, Likiliki, Lance and maybe Henry and Gavet.
Warriors need a good spine (1,6,7,9) Locke, Johnson are a start.
Unless Hendo improves I dont see a long term future for him at the club.
Im keen to see how Seymour and Maloney go next year

KiWi_BoI_15

Juniors
Matulino should have a good off season, after his first whole season in the NRL. The Warriors shouldnt make the same mistake as Sheen at the Tigers - Playing Harrison at Prop. When He is a natural backrower, now flurishing at the Raiders. Ben should be given free reign next year on the paddock, let him roam, we should see him develope more.

We must have a prop coming, it would be silly to let two good Props go and not get any in return. Lillyman be position is Left Right Out.

If Tai'i does a grubber like the one against the Storm again i'll sack him myself

:lol:.

I think Kuma thought he was back in the Fox Memorial when he placed that lil kick. Hes scored a couple of tries like that in Fox where hes kicked for himself and regathered for a try, also one against the Manly feeder club in the NSW cup this year too.

Micistm

Bench
Gutted they didn't keep him. Will be interested what we are 'getting' instead. Better not be another Aussie journeyman

Iafeta

Referee

Ukuma was hitting it up on that play and then someone shouted out "last tackle", its quite audible on the replay so he goes to kick.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Ukuma was hitting it up on that play and then someone shouted out "last tackle", its quite audible on the replay so he goes to kick.

Yup, I heard the same thing. It was 4th but someone yelled it out - I would say the Storm had done their homework on his rawness and the fact he is new to league etc.