What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Turner turns on Titans, Resigns with Storm

BrisVegas

Juniors
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,20144057-14823,00.html

Steve turns on Titans

Karl deKroo
August 16, 2006 12:00am

IN-FORM Storm winger Steve Turner performed a stunning about-face last night, turning his back on the Gold Coast Titans to remain with Melbourne for the next three years.

Turner, 21, was unveiled in June as a key signing for the new Titans franchise which enters the NRL in 2007. Incredibly, the former junior Kangaroos representative was never asked to sign a contract or letter of intent with the Gold Coast and he has had a change of heart. "Steve came to us a few weeks ago and told us that he desperately wanted to stay," Storm chief executive Brian Waldron said last night.

"We subsequently found out he hadn't signed any agreement and as a consequence of that we offered him a new three-year deal which was accepted today. "We have spoken to the NRL about it and given no contract had been registered, there shouldn't be a problem." The decision is set to spark outrage on the Gold Coast, but Turner said he was hopeful the Titans would understand his position.

"Over the past few weeks I have got itchy feet and I realised I didn't want to go," Turner said. "I have spoken it over with my girlfriend, Kate, and she didn't want to go either. "I had a chat to them (the Titans) yesterday and told them my reasons. "From there I've left it with my manager. I know they won't be happy, but I just hope they can understand my decision. I really wish them all the best for 2007."

Gold Coast chief executive Michael Searle could not be contacted last night.
Waldron said he could understand the Titans' position, but said they had only themselves to blame. "If he had signed a contract, then it wouldn't be an option," Waldron said. "But the kid came to us and we see that as a great endorsement of what we are trying to build at this club. "We were in a similar position when we thought we had signed (Parramatta prop) Fuifui Moimoi a year ago. "We thought he was coming here but there was a problem with his manager. It became clear he wanted to stay with Parramatta and we decided it was fair and reasonable."

A Penrith junior, Turner was signed by Storm in 2003 as a replacement for foundation fullback Robbie Ross. He battled injury in his first two seasons and Billy Slater and Greg Inglis surpassed him in the fullbacks' pecking order. Used this season as a winger, Turner has proven a sensation, starting all 21 games and scoring 13 tries.

"I feel like I am playing the best footy of my career," Turner said. "I have probably adapted to the wing better than most people expected. "I am really enjoying playing out there and I realise that playing fullback isn't my priority any more."The Titans have signed Storm hooker Nathan Friend and centre Jake Webster for next season. Turner had been expected to be their first-choice fullback ahead of British rep player Richie Mathers.

sla4575

Juniors
I got a feeling this will be a long battle like the Gordon Tallis St George/Broncos saga.

Should definitly bring a bit more spark to the storm/titans encounters though.

cyberdj

Juniors
..Melbourne's position is that according to NRL rules, clubs have 10 days after a contract is entered into to lodge the paperwork - and the Titans had not done so....*

*from NRL.com

ortz18

Juniors
Technically there is still a legally binding agreement. Despite not having signed on the dot, Turner's promise to be at the titans for the next three years is binding. On the flip side, he might get sued, but he will still be with us because what club could possibly want a player that doesn't want to play for them.

NZ Warrior

First Grade
ortz18 said:
Technically there is still a legally binding agreement. Despite not having signed on the dot, Turner's promise to be at the titans for the next three years is binding. On the flip side, he might get sued, but he will still be with us because what club could possibly want a player that doesn't want to play for them.

Manly & Canberra come to mind.

ortz18 said:

NRL is a business...if the Titans are slack enough not to finalise paperwork then Turner has every right to stay at Storm.

This is bloody great for us and will add to the potency of our backline next year along with Turner being a brilliant utility come origin time.

Welcome to the NRL Titans...:cool:

NZ Warrior

First Grade
A spanner in the works, from Fox Sports:

In better news for the Titans, the NRL sided with Gold Coast in a bitter tug-of-war with Melbourne over in-form wing Steve Turner.

The NRL will refuse to register the Storm's contract with Turner, despite the 21-year-old re-signing with the competition leader for another three years.

Titans managing director Michael Searle met NRL chief executive David Gallop in Sydney yesterday to plead his case after the fledgling club trumpeted the recruitment of Turner on a three-year deal on June 19.

But Turner had a change of heart and re-signed with Storm on Tuesday night until the end of 2009.

His decision infuriated Gold Coast officials, who claimed he had broken a "partly written, partly verbal" agreement with the franchise.

Turner admitted yesterday that he had told the Titans he would play for them next season, but he said he had not signed a contract or a pre-contract agreement.

Gallop said the NRL would review the documentation from the Titans, but he was satisfied the club had struck a legally binding agreement with Turner.

"Our preliminary view is that a deal was struck between the player and the Titans," Gallop said.

"We would in that situation support the Titans in securing the player.

"Everyone must accept that a deal is a deal once made and can't be ignored unless both parties agree."

Bad Steve Turner. Very bad Steve Turner.

MONY

Juniors
Turner had a verbal contract with the Titans which is enough... it takes preference over the contract he signed with the storm... If Steve does stay in Melbourne, he most likely wont be able to play, unless the Titans eventually give up.

Jasestorm

Juniors
Since when in todays business environment has a verbal agreement sufficed? Who still works on a handshake anymore? If it's not on paper, it's not legally binding. If it goes to court the NRL and Gold Coast clubs could be made to look very silly. As the rules state, the Titans had 10 days to draw up a contract after a verbal. Not 8 weeks.

I could agree in principle to go to another workplace but then change my mind at the 11th hour to stay or go elsewhere if I haven't signed anything and there is nothing that the original prospective employer can do. That is common business practice and unfortunately as an employer it is something I have faced on more than one occasion.

Everyone agrees that football is a business now. What gives it the right to change the law to suit itself?

Jasestorm said:
Since when in todays business environment has a verbal agreement sufficed? Who still works on a handshake anymore? If it's not on paper, it's not legally binding. If it goes to court the NRL and Gold Coast clubs could be made to look very silly. As the rules state, the Titans had 10 days to draw up a contract after a verbal. Not 8 weeks.

I could agree in principle to go to another workplace but then change my mind at the 11th hour to stay or go elsewhere if I haven't signed anything and there is nothing that the original prospective employer can do. That is common business practice and unfortunately as an employer it is something I have faced on more than one occasion.

Everyone agrees that football is a business now. What gives it the right to change the law to suit itself?

I totally agree...what if Turner went to Titans on a handshake and then he got stiffed when they made him sign his contract because he was sucked in on a verbel deal that had no similarities to the written contract.

It is not the 70s where players signed on a handshake at the local...or maybe the Titans think it is ??.:!:

Ice777

Bench
MONY said:
Turner had a verbal contract with the Titans which is enough... it takes preference over the contract he signed with the storm... If Steve does stay in Melbourne, he most likely wont be able to play, unless the Titans eventually give up.

Wouldn't that be up to the courts to decide? It obviously won't get settled by either party as i can't see one of them backing down so the only way it can be settled is in court.

philstorm

Juniors
http://www.smh.com.au/news/Sport/Ti...ies-over-Turner/2006/08/17/1155407944762.html

Titans brand Storm 'bullies' over Turner

Email
Print
Normal font
Large font
August 17, 2006 - 4:41PM

Advertisement

Advertisement

Gold Coast chief executive Michael Searle has accused Melbourne of bullying the NRL newcomers in the bitter tug-of-war over Storm winger Steve Turner.

The Titans had trumpeted the recruitment of Turner on a three-year deal in June but the 21-year-old this week re-signed with the Storm saying he had not signed a contract or letter of intent with the Gold Coast.

Titans boss Searle has branded the Storm's actions in trying to re-sign Turner for 2007 as "reprehensible" and "disrespectful" to the fledgling club.

Searle met with NRL chief executive David Gallop in Sydney to discuss the matter, which will likely be resolved by the league in the coming days.

"We feel that the efforts in the Melbourne Storm to secure Steven's services, despite the knowledge of this agreement, to be reprehensible," Searle said.

"We also think it's disrespectful to the Gold Coast Titans administration and its fans.

"If our advice had've been heeded on Tuesday when we said we had an agreement with Steve we wouldn't be in this situation.

"The Storm's tactics were bullying, they were very bullying on Tuesday, to sign an agreement with the knowledge he had already come to terms with us.

"The Gold Coast of old may have rolled over but this organisation won't.

"Subject to David Gallop's determination on the matter, Steven Turner will not be granted a release to play for the Melbourne Storm in 2007.

"He had approached us the week prior and we had, after long consideration between the coaching staff and myself, declined his request.

"The events of the past week have been greatly disappointing, not only for the Gold Coast Titans, but for rugby league fans in general."

© 2006 AAP

That is just a low, cheap shot from the Titans. You watch now, Gallop will go and side with them even though no rules were broken. :roll:

Juniors
they can have matt geyer if they want, coz thinking towards the future, turner always shoulda been shown a contract before boofa, dont get me wrong i love matty and think he's a quality player, but with this new breed, it'll be a sad day to see him playing for norths devils in the next year or 2, and whoever mentioned the nicolau saga, thats all we'll need to get off, same deal, no NRL interference, unless the NRL wants to set a double standard for melbourne in a negative way, which wouldnt be too smart on their side considering they are trying to get the game to prosper in melbourne, and frankly, if steve wants to stay here and not go to the coast, at the end of the day its what he'll do, even if he has to walk out on the titans at the start of next year, and sign for norths devisl and promote him through our lower grades, he'll be at the storm next year if he wants it. a signature on paper will beat a verbal agreement in any court room on any day of the week, so stick it up your arse gallop, u just want to try and show off ur 'legal' skills i bet, couldnt wait for an NRL matter to go to court could you!

Latest posts