What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TV Advertising For WA REDS

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Perhaps the WARL is preempting the NRL into a corner ?

The build up all this publicity and excitement, the NRL would have to offer a franchise, especially if the excitement is coming from the Perth corporate sector.

joshreading

Staff member
I think the WARL needs to create an environment and plan which they can not deny. I think with the financial power of the Mines surely they as a sponsor might be great to get on board. Even a game at Kalgoorlie?

aarondoyle

Juniors
joondalup_giant said:
I haven't seen any advertising on tv but I've heard adds on the radio! which is good!

Good stuff! What did the ad say? Was it advertising the Reds in the JB comp next year, or the WARL local comp?

KalgoorlieRed

Juniors
joshreading said:
I think the WARL needs to create an environment and plan which they can not deny. I think with the financial power of the Mines surely they as a sponsor might be great to get on board. Even a game at Kalgoorlie?

Funny you should mention Kalgoorlie.

I was at the Brother Vs South Perth game at the weekend chatting to a WARL officer about the Reds and game in WA.

I suggested to him about a Jim Beam game being staged in Kalgoorlie, where I believe would be supported well.

He didnt let on about any ads on TV, quite tight lipped about the membership situ as well, but its all good.

And yes Kalgoorlie being WA 2nd biggest city deserves a place.

magpie_man

Juniors
With the amount of NSW and Queensland miners heading over to WA (a bit of a rugby league stereotype, but it does have an element of truth to it), the NRL would be mad to ignore such an opportunity.

manlyone

Juniors
Remember the NRL doesn't have to be number one.

The AFL is no where near no one in NSW/Qld but the Swans/ Lions have developed a niche. Play their games on Friday night against the NRL or worse show on TV teams other than these two in their respective states and their ratings are a joke. However, play them on Saturday night and the ratings are satisfactory for TV networks to show their games. Get your games on TV and sponsors become interested + people might see the games flicking between stations and they might watch / get interested. People become aware of the game and some will want to get involved ........ kids then need somewhere to go so they can play & WA at least has some sort of competition for that to happen.

This is all the NRL need to do with a Perth team ..... get enough interest to justify TV / Newspaper coverage and all of a sudden (using the AFL model) you have a genuine National comp. It doesn't have to be bigger than the AFL ...... it just has to exist at a level large enough to be taken seriously. WA is an exciting long term project (as are the Storm).

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
manlyone said:
Remember the NRL doesn't have to be number one.

The AFL is no where near no one in NSW/Qld but the Swans/ Lions have developed a niche. Play their games on Friday night against the NRL or worse show on TV teams other than these two in their respective states and their ratings are a joke. However, play them on Saturday night and the ratings are satisfactory for TV networks to show their games. Get your games on TV and sponsors become interested + people might see the games flicking between stations and they might watch / get interested. People become aware of the game and some will want to get involved ........ kids then need somewhere to go so they can play & WA at least has some sort of competition for that to happen.

This is all the NRL need to do with a Perth team ..... get enough interest to justify TV / Newspaper coverage and all of a sudden (using the AFL model) you have a genuine National comp. It doesn't have to be bigger than the AFL ...... it just has to exist at a level large enough to be taken seriously. WA is an exciting long term project (as are the Storm).

If the NRL gets a Perth based team going it'll be a bigger comp than the AFL.

dimitri

First Grade
the supposed argument "the talebnt pool will be stretched" will be bollocks since the super league import quota is coming down to 3

manlyone

Juniors
dimitri said:
the supposed argument "the talebnt pool will be stretched" will be bollocks since the super league import quota is coming down to 3

True in theory .... lets see how it works in practise ...... even if the rules are enforced there is a risk the poms will start signing quality rather than quantity resulting in a continued dilution of talent. Assuming the new rule has the effect you'd anticipate, it will still take a couple of years for this to filter into the NRL as a higher pool of talent. With the advent of the Titans the talent pool is definitelystretched at present.

Having the Titans in the comp has brought massive benefits to the NRL but there is no denying a (worthwhile) price has been paid.

greenhat

Juniors
The Reds might stretch the talent pool at first, but in the long (and even medium) term they'd be improving it.

The WARL produces a bit of NRL talent now, but with the arrival of the Force, I think if the Reds don't come back soon most of that will be snaffled by Union in future.
On top of that, having the Reds back is likely to dramatically grow RL participation in WA - see the massive effect the storm has had on the VRL.

It might be a long time before the growth in the WARL was enough to produce a teams worth of NRL players, but its either begin that long process now or start losing WA juniors to union forever.

Luckily for Rugby League, despite Gallops strange negativity, the WARL is beginning that process.

LESStar58

Referee
In any case, the WARL's case seems to be pretty strong. They are obviously doing their best to drum up support for a team in a 3rd or 4th tier competition. Imagine if you get em an NRL franchise.

Hopefully Gallop can wake up and smell the coffee...

t-ba

Post Whore
LESStar58 said:
In any case, the WARL's case seems to be pretty strong. They are obviously doing their best to drum up support for a team in a 3rd or 4th tier competition. Imagine if you get em an NRL franchise.

Hopefully Gallop can wake up and smell the coffee...

It's not Gallop's decision, it is the decision of the Partnership Board.

LESStar58

Referee
Then why is Gallop saying "no expansion in the foreseeable future" or whatever it was.

Doesn't Gallop speak on behalf of the partnership?

t-ba

Post Whore
LESStar58 said:
Then why is Gallop saying "no expansion in the foreseeable future" or whatever it was.

Doesn't Gallop speak on behalf of the partnership?

He's not the one making decisions, he is their mouthpiece. It wasn't Gallop who decided to let the Titans in. It was the unaminous decision of the Three News Corp and three ARL members to do so. Gallop, beyond a few operational matters and some potential 'influence,' holds none of the true strategic power for the games future.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well we have one in our corner (ARL). Now just to get News to think about all those satellite dishes they could sell in the West!

yakstorm

First Grade
LESStar58 said:
I see..... so if News and the ARL agree on Perth then Perth will happen?

Pretty much, so the WARL are doing well to at least have half the board onside through the ARL.

I don't think Perth will have too much trouble getting in in 2012, naturally they have to wait their time but some of the things they have in their favour are:

- News and Telstra both want to increase their presence in WA, News want to make the Sunday Times a leader in the WA market, and Bigpond are struggling against iiNet in WA, so those two companies would like the ability to use NRL as another tool to increase their market share.

- Channel 9, are looking at purchasing Nine Perth, so to have a local team on their schedule to televise will naturally be a bonus for their sporting portfolio.

Considering those three are pretty big stakeholders in the game, the fact they could use a WA based NRL team as leverage for increased sales and presence will naturally go in the Reds favour.

Latest posts