What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TV Ratings for the Grand Final

Chook Norris

First Grade
It will close but we should just get there... hopefully should know on Wednesday

it's already out:
http://www.crikey.com.au/2009/10/05/nrl-grand-final-out-rates-the-afl/
The NRL Grand Final won by the Melbourne Storm has out-rated the AFL Grand Final. It was the second time in three years the NRL Grand Final has out-rated the AFL game, thanks to the presence (and eventual victory) of the Melbourne Storm in the final match of the season.
The Storm won the match played in Sydney and watched by 3.490 million people across all TV markets on the Nine Network. In Australia: 2.46 million viewers watched in the five metro markets, with 1.119 million on average watching Sydney, 650,000 in Melbourne and 535,000 watched Brisbane.
A further 1.080 million watched in regional Australia. In contrast 3.47 million people watched the AFL Grand Final in all markets: 2.704 million people watched the AFL Grand Final on the Ten Network in the five metro markets.
More than 1.42 million people watched in Melbourne, with the regional audience around the country adding a further 70,000 to the audience. In terms of the combined figure, that was better than the 3.135 million who watched the AFL match across the country last year and 3.329 million who watched in 2007.

Lowdown

Juniors
Gotta love Roy Masters - why does he seem to be the only journalist that can rely on logic, data and experience to mount a compelling argument - as opposed to most of these muppets that rely on the weight of public opinion or agendas.

Keep up the good work Roy - and keep the bastards honest.

bobmar28

Bench
Interesting, but it probably isn't a fair comparison considering Melbourne had a local team competing. Anyone know the ratings in Sydney for the '05 and '06 AFL GFs?

Who cares? It's history. TV rights negotiations will be based on the latest numbers.

Last edited:

Digga Hole

Juniors
Who cares? It's history. TV rights negotiations will be based on the latest numbers.

They will actually be based on forward projections, no one pays for history. History can give a guide to the future, but the "you are only as good as your last game" theory won't count for much.

The projections will be crucial for both leagues and will likely be based on a range of teams making the finals over the length of the contract.

trudge

Bench
AFL is about to lose a very long and costly war in Western Sydney whilst Victorian Rugby League is developing more and more players through Flegg and NYC.

Channel 9 Melb is so insecure about the encroachment of league but it's happening on the streets without their help.

As long as Fox beams live into Melb the NRL is sweet.

Lego_Man

First Grade
I read last years grand final got 500000 viewers in New Zealand.

Yep, i realised my estimate was a little conservative. 500K would be a great result if true.

Pay TV has far greater penetration in NZ because Sky Tv basically has the rights to all decent sports. league does have a big following in NZ, people just dont realise it. AFL may as well not exist, noone gives a sh*t about it even though it's jammed down our throats on Sky (this has only been the case in the last few years).

kkingston

Juniors
More people watched NRL grand final on television than watched AFL grand final

* By Holly Byrnes, Media Writer
* October 06, 2009 12:00AM
* 26 comments

Top raters...Melbourne Storm's Billy Slater and Cameron Smith hold up the NRL premiership trophy in front of their fans in Melbourne. Picture: Colleen Petch. Source: The Daily Telegraph

THIS is the story every league fan living south of the border should cut out, fold up and pop in the wallet for the next visit down the pub: The NRL Grand Final was more popular on TV than the AFL Grand Final.

In figures that will have Andrew Demetriou choking on his next footy frank, the NRL blockbuster on Sunday outrated the AFL equivalent two weeks ago by more than 200,000 footy fans across Australia.

The combined national and regional TV audience figures for the Geelong Cats v St Kilda Grand Final, spruiked at the time by the code's boss Demetriou as a benchmark, averaged 3.4 million.

But the league finale went better, attracting an average 3.6 million people across the country.

It is a staggering result for league and Channel 9, which won the ratings night, and defied the year's off-field dramas, which in June sidelined Nine's own Matthew Johns in the wake of the Cronulla group #@%!$ scandal.

While it's only taken four Grand Final appearances for two victories, Melbourne footy fans in particular appear to have finally seen the light on league, with the AFL stronghold thunderstruck by the Storm and Parramatta Eels decider.

Nine's coverage consolidated the code's footing south of the border, where the audience peaked at 925,000 viewers.

In a confidence-lifting victory for the game's administrators, the Melbourne market averaged 685,000 viewers, up from 492,000 last year.

The average five capital city audience of 2.42 million - up 342,000 nationally on 2008 - was the network's best ratings result in 2009.

An exuberant NRL chief executive David Gallop yesterday celebrated the results as "a huge show of public support for rugby league".

"Congratulations to Melbourne on winning two premierships in three years, to Parramatta for providing one of the greatest runs to a Grand Final and to all the fans who shared the experience," he said.

The growth in television ratings in 2009 "underlines the opportunities that lie ahead" for the competition, Gallop said.

It was a reasonably low-key welcome home for the Storm, with around 50 fans greeting them at Melbourne Airport yesterday ahead of the team's presentation to several hundred more at Princes Park.

More fans are expected for a civic reception today in Melbourne's Federation Square.

Skipper Cameron Smith raised the trophy and managed a reasonable impersonation of sports commentator Bruce McAvaney when asked how the celebrations had been following the Grand Final win.

"We had a couple of quiet beers with the boys and our families - just a couple ... and they were delicious," Smith said, attempting to mimic McAvaney's recent AFL commentary when he described a play from Hawks star Cyril Rioli as "delicious".

Centre Greg Inglis told the cheering crowd of his match-sealing field goal: "I just got the ball and kicked it, I snapped it low and flat and said 'please get over'."

"I've got a (premiership) ring. We've done a really good job."

The Storm had dual cause to celebrate after the club's under 20 side won the Toyota Cup grand final, with the team also presented to the crowd at the family day.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 5783107883

franklin2323

Immortal
As much as I don't agree with the way ratings are done. It's a fantastic result.

As for Melb getting close to Sydney. NSW had a public Hol on Monday so how many people watched it at a pub or had mates over for a BBQ an don't get counted in the figure

*Paul*

Juniors
I am staggered that companies would base millions of $'s of advertising on figures that are massively unreliable.

Both parties (Adv & TV) probably agree to agree. If people's viewing habits and responses to ads were really known, the whole shebag would probably collapse and they'd have to start from scratch.

During the fusillade of ads just prior to kick off, I was in the backyard getting the washing in.

Hanscholo

Bench
It was enough to propel Nein into the top slot on Sunday, considering they are by far the worst station in Australia, that will speak volumes to the rest. Problem is however that in these economic times, with TV stations carrying massive debt on their balance sheets from sports bidding frenzies I think there will be a huge correction for both the AFL and NRL products when they hit the market. Certainly you can count out Nein inflating the AFL bidding again, Ten might just decide that the AFL is too expensive and have a crack at the NRL rights...One only hopes that the NRL ends up on One HD, for promotion value alone it would be huge...they actually support their brands unlike nein.

Goddo

Bench
What happens with TV rights will depend on how well financially the TV channels go in the next 2 years, and if the changes to tv anti-siphoning laws with regard to multipule channels go through in NRL's favour.

I've got a feeling that down the track, multi channel free to air will kill off pay tv to an extent, but in order to cover the costs of multi channel tv (as advertising won't cut it) we might end up having a small fee as a "tv licence" like in the UK for free to air, and then optional pay channels. All depends on the Governments of the day in the future, and how much influence different people have.

elbusto

Coach

Adsy

Juniors
I think it's on the 1st page under rugby league division 1.

Thanks, Flamin. Pretty decent number in Sydney watched it (308,000).

Also just noticed Midsummer Night Murders' numbers. Easily the NRL's biggest threat. :lol:

elbusto

Coach
Thanks, Flamin. Pretty decent number in Sydney watched it (308,000).

Also just noticed Midsummer Night Murders' numbers. Easily the NRL's biggest threat. :lol:
Good show I reckon. But not as good as the footy.

j5o6hn

Juniors
Meanwhile over at The Roar those two fighters for truth, justice and the AFL way are using the Big Footy numbers to claim every one else is wrong and Big Footy is right, interesting idea that, who needs ratings just ask Michael C or Rebd and the mugs on Big footy.