What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TV rights thread part 4

Lockyer4President!

First Grade

flippikat

Bench

I'm pretty sure there won't be an NRL blackout in New Zealand this weekend.

While the NRL has every right to stop ANY network screen it's games while the contract is being negotiated, it would be a major public relations stuff-up.

What's most likely is that the NRL will get Sky broadcast thie weekend in good faith while the negotiations continue.

For their part, Sky can't promote a competition that they haven't secured the rights to - especially if the games end up being on another network after a few rounds of "goodwill coverage" while negotiations are settled.

Advertising for the NRL here is muted - only the odd advert for the NRL that's been played on Sky Sport. Those are not ads about Sky SPorts coverage, just ads for the competition itself.. it could just as well be an advert for McDonalds in the same slot.

Serc

First Grade
What's most likely is that the NRL will get Sky broadcast thie weekend in good faith while the negotiations continue.

Read this somewhere else also so you imagine this would happen

Typical newspapers though really, "NRL blackout" yeah nice work

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://tvnz.co.nz/rugby-league-news/television-clock-ticking-nrl-fans-5360023

Television clock ticking for NRL fans

Published: 9:35AM Tuesday March 05, 2013 Source: ONE News

Television coverage of the NRL in New Zealand this season remains in limbo.

Sonny Bill Williams' Sydney Roosters kick off the 2013 season against the South Sydney Rabbitohs on Thursday night but as it stands, Sky Television will not be broadcasting the much anticipated match.

"The situation is as of now that we don't have the NRL rights secured and we will certainly update the New Zealand viewers as soon as we have more news," Sky Television's Corporate Communications spokeswoman Kirsty Way told onenews.co.nz.

An 11th hour deal to provide live coverage was reached last year and the pay television network is hopeful a similar agreement can be met in the coming days.

"We are absolutely hopeful," Way said. "There is a commission meeting at the NRL today so it could be a pretty telling day today."

The New Zealand Warriors open their season against the Parramatta Eels in Sydney on Saturday night and if a deal is not reached by then Sky could potentially face a viewer backlash.

It is understood that the NRL wants $A20m ($NZ25m) per season for the next five years. Sky is believed to currently pay $NZ14m per season.

ozenzud

Juniors
There is a thread in the Warriors/NRL section of the site, but I think this is an important NRL issue.

How can this new NRL commission not have had this sorted 6 months ago? The warriors will kick off on the weekend with NO deal signed on the wednesday beforehand for local broadcasting of the NRL. None.

How amatuerish is that? While people in Sydney, Brisbane and maybe even Melbourne are firing themselves up for the start of the NRL, what have we got over here....................silence. No promotion, no glitz, no fanfare, no advertising, no nothing. Nada.

Why would local broadcasters promote a game they ain't showing.

Just how rubbish is that? Rumour is the NRL was to increase from $14mill to $25 mill a season. But local broadcaster is saying the ratings fell last year with the Warriors performance and its not worth more.

Well the ratings will be pretty bad when there is no coverage, no advertising and no buildup won't they! If they don't get it sorted I know what the viewing results will be. Zero.

The pay TV network, was until 5 minutes ago owned by News Corp, so one might suggest they were getting it cheap beforehand and now have to pay a proper price.

We compete with Rugby big time here. Lots of kids who play rugby, watch the NRL and have a big interest in the NRL.

People are saying they will have it sorted by tomorrow. The day the comp starts!

NZ might be a backwater. But there is a lot of interest and money come out of here and a lot of potential players and a mile of development potential. Being completely and uttterly ignored by the people in charge of the game.

I am seriously, seriously pi$$ed off on this.

Last edited:

Rod

Bench
The way I see it:

- The NRL would have put any possible talks with Sky on hold until they sorted out the Australian TV deal, obviously by far their number one priority. Although that in itself is not an excuse for the delay in negotiations.

- That being said, when push comes to shove I would be stunned if Sky didn't screen Roosters/Rabbitohs tomorrow night, most likely on some sort of good faith basis that a deal will be reached in the future.

- Even if that were the case though, I agree with OP that this is not an acceptable situation. Even if the games get screened on schedule we have seen absolutely nothing in the form of advertisements for the upcoming season or promotion in Sky's guides. Not very good when you're trying to grow the game outside of Australia.

applesauce

Bench
There is a thread in the Warriors/NRL section of the site, but I think this is an important NRL issue.

How can this new NRL commission not have had this sorted 6 months ago? The warriors will kick off on the weekend with NO deal signed on the wednesday beforehand for local broadcasting of the NRL. None.

How amatuerish is that? While people in Sydney, Brisbane and maybe even Melbourne are firing themselves up for the start of the NRL, what have we got over here....................silence. No promotion, no glitz, no fanfare, no advertising, no nothing. Nada.

Why would local broadcasters promote a game they ain't showing.

Just how rubbish is that? Rumour is the NRL was to increase from $14mill to $25 mill a season. But local broadcaster is saying the ratings fell last year with the Warriors performance and its not worth more.

Well the ratings will be pretty bad when there is no coverage, no advertising and no buildup won't they! If they don't get it sorted I know what the viewing results will be. Zero.

The pay TV network, was until 5 minutes ago owned by News Corp, so one might suggest they were getting it cheap beforehand and now have to pay a proper price.

We compete with Rugby big time here. Lots of kids who play rugby, watch the NRL and have a big interest in the NRL.

People are saying they will have it sorted by tomorrow. The day the comp starts!

NZ might be a backwater. But there is a lot of interest and money come out of here and a lot of potential players and a mile of development potential. Being completely and uttterly ignored by the people in charge of the game.

I am seriously, seriously pi$$ed off on this.

There is also one in the NRL MEDIA Forum. :thumb

Evil_Mush

Juniors
There is also one in the NRL MEDIA Forum. :thumb

Really, I couldn't see it.

But yeah, this blows at the moment, I'm supposed to be all amped up for the upcoming games, but the possibility of not being able to see them live (and I'm not a fan of watching on my computer either) is making me saaaaad panda.

I'm 99% sure that some sort of temporary good faith deal will allow screening of the games in short term, but the fact that there has been no confirmation (apart from update on Sky's Facebook page advising there is NO update) the day before game 1 kickoff is rather disconcerting.

tangalife

Juniors
It should be the easiet deal to make.

NRL need Sky NZ (only network in NZ that will pay for it)
Sky NZ need NRL

done deal really

Rosetta

Juniors
Radiosport in NZ reporting SkyTV have secured the TV rights this afternoon, nothing confirmed by either the NRL or SkyTV yet.

The NRL got their big pay day from the Australian rights. If they had to basically give it away to a FTA network in NZ for a year to give them more leverage over SkyTv, then they should have done it.

PR_SHARK

Juniors
Done deal between SKY and NRL:

BREAKING:

The NRL and SKY Television have tonight agreed a deal in principle to bring the excitement of the Telstra Premiership, Holden State of Origin and the Holden Cup to viewers across New Zealand.

The partnership will be formally announced tomorrow.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/skysportnz

Diesel

Referee
In good faith knowing that Sky want it and the NRL wants a decent pay day. After the massive deal last year they should've given it to FTA