What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Twiggys with us

I don’t believe anything science tries to sit down and explain, the covid stuff was the end after decades of climate catastrophising……it’s a crock of shit and it’s a whale killer and fat corporate pigs are waiting to clean up. I love the Illawarra, get fkd.
A friend of mine once told me I was delusional.
Damn near fell off my Dragon.

Lennyb

Juniors
The Gordons WIN Corp purchased the shares because the Illawarra Steelers owed them about 6m and so, if the IllawarraSteelers went bankrupt, the Gordons WIN Corp would have lost just about all of this money.

So, they did a deal with some prominent St George Illawara directors to allow the shares to go to the Gordons Win Corp for undisclosed reasons. You say the approved deal was about 5m less than the highest offer.

Anyway, instead of getting nothing, the Gordons WIN ended up being partners with St George Leagues Club for the St George Illawarra NRL licrnvr.

Yhe question is, who at St George benefited from this deal?
I have no idea Possum, but the NRL signed off on it.

yeah, my wife warned me not to poke the bear.
Did I listen? Why break a lifetime habit now?

I will concede I was very wrong about not being able to see the Turbines from 10km.
Saw an artists impression and, F**K me, they are very visible and ugly.

i would standby Illawarra residents to move them further - OUT OF SIGHT

But the rest is pure misinformation. there are already tens of thousand off-shore wind turbines.
England alone has 2,652 Offshore turbines on 43 farms and 3-4 times as many on land.

Wind Turbines are here to stay and much safer compared to fossil fuel environmental damage.

merahputih

Juniors
Every building should have electricity windmill power generators. Free power from the wind
I did a trip through parts of Europe nearly twenty years ago and was struck by the sight of wind turbines everywhere on the horizon in most countries. Apparently the first design for a wind turbine producing electricity was registered in the 19th century in the US.
I wonder if Dutch people grizzled about windmills when they were invented about a thousand years ago?
The Nimbys can't stop progress.

merahputih

Juniors
....and while I'm still on my soap box: I hope the brain dead morons who destroyed dozens of trees blocking their water views in the Lane Cove area are caught and have the book thrown at them. Personally, I think staring at empty ocean views loses its attraction very quickly. Luckily we have the big car carriers and ore ships almost permanently moored off the coast in the 'gong to break the monotony....does anyone ever complain about them?

possm

Coach
It has been said that the seas are rising but given that the landmarks in Sydney harbor do not reflect this, could it be that some volucanic Isalands in the Pacific are reseeding into the ocean?

If the seas truly are rising, would not it make more sense to buuild desalination plants that are built to send clean water through to the other side of the Great Divide and at the same time extract hydrogen from that water to generate electricity (true clean energy).

Oh, it's not the climate stupid, it is the money collected from climate taxes that we are interested in.

justadragon

Bench
It has been said that the seas are rising but given that the landmarks in Sydney harbor do not reflect this, could it be that some volucanic Isalands in the Pacific are reseeding into the ocean?

If the seas truly are rising, would not it make more sense to buuild desalination plants that are built to send clean water through to the other side of the Great Divide and at the same time extract hydrogen from that water to generate electricity (true clean energy).

Oh, it's not the climate stupid, it is the money collected from climate taxes that we are interested in.
The silly thing is though possum, it takes a huge amount of electricity to run a desal plant.

Mojo

Bench

Just a couple of clarifications:

(i) sea levels don't rise uniformly around the globe. It's not like water in a glass; there's high points, low points, bottlenecks, massive outflow points, currents, tides, deep oceans and shallows etc.
(ii) yes, some very low lying islands subside, erode and also accrete - it's a multivariate, dynamic situation.
(iii) it takes a huge amount of energy to extract hydrogen from water - therein lies the problem - the first law of thermodynamics presents a challenge. Hydrogen is definitely a future fuel source but we need to use other green energy sources to produce it.
(iv) massive irrigation west of the great divide would most likely cause a cascade of environmental and ecological problems. Water doesn't improve soil fertility (in fact, irrigation can cause a lot of soil problems). Australian soils are notoriously low in phosphorus (hence the dependence upon superphosphate fertilizers). We built major cities on all of the most fertile lands.

Unfortunately, It's all pretty complex.

Dragon David

First Grade
Just a couple of clarifications:

(i) sea levels don't rise uniformly around the globe. It's not like water in a glass; there's high points, low points, bottlenecks, massive outflow points, currents, tides, deep oceans and shallows etc.
(ii) yes, some very low lying islands subside, erode and also accrete - it's a multivariate, dynamic situation.
(iii) it takes a huge amount of energy to extract hydrogen from water - therein lies the problem - the first law of thermodynamics presents a challenge. Hydrogen is definitely a future fuel source but we need to use other green energy sources to produce it.
(iv) massive irrigation west of the great divide would most likely cause a cascade of environmental and ecological problems. Water doesn't improve soil fertility (in fact, irrigation can cause a lot of soil problems). Australian soils are notoriously low in phosphorus (hence the dependence upon superphosphate fertilizers). We built major cities on all of the most fertile lands.

Unfortunately, It's all pretty complex.
Thanks for your informative report Mojo.

It hasn't been officially announced, but Squadron Energy has been seen and photographed already printed on the back of the team's training shirts. Read into that what you will.
Squadron Energy's plans to build a combined natural gas and hydrogen fuelled power station at Port Kembla were quietly shelved 23 Nov 2023.

Perhaps he is just keeping a low profile for the moment!

Dragon David

First Grade
It hasn't been officially announced, but Squadron Energy has been seen and photographed already printed on the back of the team's training shirts. Read into that what you will.
The printing of Squadron Energy on the back of the team's training shirts is what someone said that was going to happen as being part sponsors with St George Bank still the main sponsor for the 2024 season and in 2025 when the deal with St George Bank is finished, Squadron Energy will be emblazoned on the front of the jerseys as the main sponsor.

I'm not too sure why nothing is official yet. Maybe they might wait until the season proper to announce it??

_Johnsy

Referee
I don’t believe anything science tries to sit down and explain, the covid stuff was the end after decades of climate catastrophising……it’s a crock of shit and it’s a whale killer and fat corporate pigs are waiting to clean up. I love the Illawarra, get fkd.
Can I suggest getting a degree in a scientific field then reassess.

Often those who don't understand something, their first reaction is to rally against it out of fear/ignorance, or just want their head to remain in the sand. At least develop a thorough understanding of a topic before jumping to a ill-informed conclusion. The devil is always in the detail, and I'm sure Mojo will agree.