What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Two honest coaches!!

Suitman

Post Whore
I was quite impressed with the comments of two coaches over the weekend - both losing coaches as well.

After Friday night, Matt Elliott of the Raiders basically said that Canberra had been out-thought tactics wise. he continued - "That was the fault of the coach, and his support staff." Finally, a coach taking the blame for a lame performance by his team, I thought.

Lo and behold, today, on the ABC, I hear Wayne Bennett stating that he felt resposible in a way as he had dedicated too much time with the Queensland side and not enough with the Broncos this season, in effect partly administering blame for the Broncos recent poor performances upon himself. A mighty noble thought.

But here at Parra, its rule changes, the salary cap and injuries. The same problems that befall every club.

Yes, those reasons have partly led to our downfall over the last two years, but maybe there are many more reasons that, if the people that run our club had a look in the mirror, would be able to see more clearly.
Or do they just look in the mirror of guilt, and not like what they see??

Suity

El Diablo

Post Whore
I remember after we beat Brisbane to get into the 2001 GF Smith said something like "it's my time" so I don't buy into his or anyones excuses for our woeful footy.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
I agree Suitman with your thoughts!!

But?? we do have to consider Parra's injury toll.....and pretty much like St George all the talk was about injuries not coaching techniques!!

In saying this in the latter part of the year when a few returned from injury our performance where alot better!!

Misty Bee

First Grade
No point in Smith taking any blame when so many people on messageboards thing he is God, even when he does bugger it up!

Talkiong of great coaches, I saw the Phil Gould interview with John Lang, Geez he spoke well. Lookslike he is really happy where he is. Good luck to him!

Suitman

Post Whore
Ron Jeremy said:
I agree Suitman with your thoughts!!

But?? we do have to consider Parra's injury toll.....and pretty much like St George all the talk was about injuries not coaching techniques!!

In saying this in the latter part of the year when a few returned from injury our performance where alot better!!

We also had a much easier draw in the second half of the season.

Suity

Suitman

Post Whore
El Duque said:
I remember after we beat Brisbane to get into the 2001 GF Smith said something like "it's my time" so I don't buy into his or anyones excuses for our woeful footy.

Frankly El Mango, either do I.
And that's all they've been........excuses.

Suity

Rylesy

Juniors
I am amazed those coaches, took the blame... you dont see that happening alot.... good on them!

eloquentEEL

First Grade
Interview with Brian Smith from back in May:

Q: How much responsibility do you take for this dilemma the club finds itself in?

A: Ultimately it's down to me, mate. I have got no problem with that.

I can also recommend reading the full article at:
http://www.rlcm.com.au/smith.shtml

spot on e2w. Some people just wanna stick the knife in while we're down.

no doubt they will be at the bar buying beers with us when we're up.

Pretty good interview that and I don't think I can disagree with one answer he gave, but I am sure there will be some people who will..........

Alan Shore

First Grade
Misty Bee said:
No point in Smith taking any blame when so many people on messageboards thing he is God, even when he does bugger it up!

Talkiong of great coaches, I saw the Phil Gould interview with John Lang, Geez he spoke well. Lookslike he is really happy where he is. Good luck to him!

JL has always conducted himself well in the media.

Misty Bee

First Grade
Yeah, Tamazoid, he has. I have a lot of respect for the man.

HJ, quit the bandwagon routine.It's run out of petrol, the rego's expired, the tappets are loose, the timing chain is stuffed, the conrod went through the side of the block and the Dunlop Grand Prixes are worn to buggery!

And you know that mechanics ALWAYS rip off women drivers!

Misty Bee

First Grade
eels2win said:
Interview with Brian Smith from back in May:

Q: How much responsibility do you take for this dilemma the club finds itself in?

A: Ultimately it's down to me, mate. I have got no problem with that.

I can also recommend reading the full article at:
http://www.rlcm.com.au/smith.shtml

Then in you and HJ's truth police agree with that line, THEN WHY KEEP HIM?

There's the proof that you can't blame injuries!!!!

Freak

Juniors
You have just broken the camels back MB!
Everyone knows your a Smith basher and that's fine your entitled to your non educated opinion, but this topic started about integrity of coaches. Something which Smithy is looked upon by most as setting the standard.

His dedication and comitment to his players and the club are 2nd to no-one. It is dissappointing that there are pesimist like yourself who make the job that much more difficult than it allready is.

You generally have some very good debatable things to say. Let's leave it at that and stop this pathetic coach basing which can only be seen as non productive.

mickdo

Coach
Freak said:
You have just broken the camels back MB!
Everyone knows your a Smith basher and that's fine your entitled to your non educated opinion, but this topic started about integrity of coaches. Something which Smithy is looked upon by most as setting the standard.

His dedication and comitment to his players and the club are 2nd to no-one. It is dissappointing that there are pesimist like yourself who make the job that much more difficult than it allready is.

You generally have some very good debatable things to say. Let's leave it at that and stop this pathetic coach basing which can only be seen as non productive.
Hear, hear!

The Engineers Room

First Grade
I said it at the beginning of the year and I'll say it again now. I think Smith is still realing from 2001, the unlosable premiership. His 2002 was supposed to be the revenge and since 2001 the tactics of the team had not changed. Whilst the rules changed the dynamic of the game, thus presenting bash and barge teams like the Roosters and Warriors an edge, the Eels were still playing the free running style of the 2001 premiership. But the results just weren't coming because the forwards were too busy trying to pull off miracle balls to attempt to run it up over the ad line. In the final stages of this season I think he realised that the tactics must change and they did. The results improved and the confidence of the team was definately up. I am impressed with the Eels on field performances in the latter stages, and feel that if we made it past Brisbane then we would have really given Penrith a shake in their current form. Anyway, not saying that Smith is a supercoach, not saying he is terrible but simply saying that he seems to have learnt his lesson based on the last few rounds.

poojar

Juniors
perhaps something a bit more productive would be, if you dont think Smith should coach next year, who else would you have coach? And remember itd have to be someone that you could nearly guarentee would get better results to justify the payout that would be needed for Smith.

I personally would rather give him another year, than pay him out and get an untried coach.

The Colonel

Immortal
Whether we like it or we don't at this stage Brian will be the coach for next year at least after Alan Overton and the board have stated they will stand behind him. Whinging about should or shouldn't Smith coach next year is a pointless exercise unless the whole board is voted off at the next AGM and you are one of those on the ticket of the new members.

I agree that this year hasn't been a good one - far from it. I have also said before I don't really give a rat's arse who is to blame - just as long as the performance next year is better than the previous two years. We have had another clean out of players this year - admittedly a lot of the strengths of the new players joining the club are yet to surface. The overall majority of these players can and have started in first grade - possibly only "crowd favourite" Fui Fui Moi Moi has the biggest question mark over his head :roll: - and have the potential to do so at the Eels.

Those that have left have played well - mainly when contracts were on the line but they have shown they have ability. Some of those players were "nuffies" when they came to the club and some now leave as potential first graders or with rejuvenated careers. Whether or not this is a good call also remains to be seen.

BS is here for one more year whether we like the fact or not - as long as the team's performance improves remarkedly IMO he will see out the end of his contract. If it doesn't he will most likely be gone before the 2004 season is over.

El Diablo

Post Whore
What exactly would it take for Smith to warrant being sacked next year in the eyes of his fans?

Miss the 8?

Come 6th, 7th or 8th and bow out in the first week?

Is he allowed ANY excuses?

Ron Jeremy

Coach
El Duque said:
What exactly would it take for Smith to warrant being sacked next year in the eyes of his fans?

Miss the 8?

Come 6th, 7th or 8th and bow out in the first week?

Is he allowed ANY excuses?

If he doesn't atleast achieve a top 4 spot next year with the calibre of players he has at his disposal then there should be no questions asked and shown the door!!

The Colonel

Immortal
Hazarding a guess - and this is purely a guess - if the club was to win the Club Championship for the eighth straight year, finish in the top eight at least and have a good finals series he would be back for at least the 2005 season. However if they were to finish in the top four only I would expect to see him back as well.

That being said if the year starts as disasterously similar to this one I think he will be lucky to make round 10.

Latest posts