What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Two honest coaches!!

El Diablo

Post Whore
Colonel Eel said:
Hazarding a guess - and this is purely a guess - if the club was to win the Club Championship for the eighth straight year

Seeing the Club championship has nothing to do with first grade it shouldn't even come into the equation.

The Colonel

Immortal
Never said that it should come into the equation - this however in the past has been deemed rather a lucrative and impressive feat. Judging by the fact that this is has been the only championship other than the two Seven's championships and the MP of 2001 that he has managed to win it must have had some bearing on the club's decision to keep him.

In my opinion if the club does manage to win the Club Championship again I don't think it should have any bearing on whether or not they keep him especially if we were to finish outside the eight again.

This however may not be the opinion of the club. As I said it was purely a guess - that guess was based on the facts that have so far managed to keep him in the job up until this point.

mate it all depends on factors.......

what if Hindy goes in the first round again? followed by cayless soon after? burt too? dykes cant play? Jamie keeps aggravating his back and cant play 100%?

if the full squad is on the field ala 2001 then youd have to think top 4 (not at end of premiership but last 4 teams standing - thats the REAL top 4)

but if half the squad goes missing for extended periods (Hindy and Cayless together missed 31 out of a possible 48 matches) you cant expect them to be in the last 4 standing

most likely this call cant be made until around half way through next year, when we asses how they have started and what position they are in to build towards a finals run. I dunno really, because putting an exact number on it now when we are still 6 months away from the start of the season is kinda ridiculous.

Eelectrica

Referee
I like Smith as a coach but look at the injury toll Craig Bellamy has had to put up with at the Storm and look where they are.

oooh they lost Howe /sarcasm

and Ross and Hill aren'ty much of a blow - great players but they would have gotten used to them not being there since 99. Hindy hasn't sat out for more than 3 weeks (I think) ever in his playing career.

If anyone thinks that injuries (or lack thereof) didn't contribute MASSIVELY to 2001 they are kidding themselves. Look att he Roosters last year - crap first half due to injury, great second half of the year because everyone came back and was relatively fit for the finals. We got Caylo for like 4 games? Dykes played one good game at the end of the year. Burty didnt play after round 3, and the difference Hindy made after he came back was obvious.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Hollywood Jesus said:
If anyone thinks that injuries (or lack thereof) didn't contribute MASSIVELY to 2001 they are kidding themselves. Look att he Roosters last year - crap first half due to injury, great second half of the year because everyone came back and was relatively fit for the finals. We got Caylo for like 4 games? Dykes played one good game at the end of the year. Burty didnt play after round 3, and the difference Hindy made after he came back was obvious.

HJ, we had Cayless, Hindmarsh and Burt playing in 2002 but we still managed to only win three of our last fourteen games. We also had players like Ryan, Drew and Ian Hindmarsh in the side then too. What's the excuse for those losses?

Eelectrica

Referee
El Duque said:
HJ, we had Cayless, Hindmarsh and Burt playing in 2002 but we still managed to only win three of our last fourteen games. We also had players like Ryan, Drew and Ian Hindmarsh in the side then too. What's the excuse for those losses?

I really think that game Newcastle had a huge effect on the rest of the season. To have put so much into that game and to have it stolen. I think that was too much to overcome.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Eelectrica said:
El Duque said:

I really think that game Newcastle had a huge effect on the rest of the season. To have put so much into that game and to have it stolen. I think that was too much to overcome.

Well isn't it the coaches job to get them over such a thing?

Honestly you can't blame that one game for such a shit season.

Actually I think SOO killed us in 02, and that began our slide to where we are now. We were doing very well in the first half of 02 (to lose so many games at the end and still comes 6th shows how good our first half of the year was).

Then comes SOO, 6 players in, and BAM! all of a sudden we start to slide down. I don't think any of those players recovered from SOO in the second half of the year to play anywhere near where they were in the first half of 02.

That is what I actually think is the root of our problem here. SOO was the beginning of our slide, and its another reason (along with player raids) that our super 01 performance has come back to haunt us.

It's not Smith, or Kusto, or Crouch or Dykes or whoever anyone wants to blame - its that not since 86 had we had to cope with that kinda stuff. We couldn't handle it. The second half of our year suffered badly as a result, and then 03 started terribly with our best player being rules out for 15 weeks after 35 minutes, followed by our form back 2 weeks later, and our inspirational captain 3 weeks after that. We justhavent been able to get any slack since SOO 02.

Now you can argue the Roosters as a valid opposition point, and I will grant that they have handled it better than us by a million miles. But that doesnt mean thatbecause they have done it that we should have been able to. Maybe they were lucky to get the right people all together at once who are able to handle that stuff? Maybe our players need to experience that for a bit to get used to it? I dunno, but whatever the case is it was Origin that became our curse.

Everyone was happy with 6 selections, and it was great to see so many Eels running around in origin, but I always had the feeling that it would come back to bite us, and it did.

Misty Bee

First Grade
Smith lovers, what, pray tell, is the coach there for?

When the team hits a problem period in the seaons, who is responsible for getting themover it?

When one of the big guns gets injured, who is responsible in oragnising the team to cope?

Who is responsible for making sure the team knows it's defensive drills?

Umm, is it the friggin ball boy????

Yawn. Misty doesn't like Smith - Misty must therefore be ridiculed. How do we ridicule him? How about below: Poojar's effort.

perhaps something a bit more productive would be, if you dont think Smith should coach next year, who else would you have coach? And remember itd have to be someone that you could nearly guarentee would get better results to justify the payout that would be needed for Smith.

I personally would rather give him another year, than pay him out and get an untried coach.

So no other coach in the NRL could repladce him this year, but wait 12 months and we can get any old Tom, Dick or Harry? Great strategy that one.

And Freak, I stated a valid point. If you can't debate it, stick to a simpler forum.

And HJ, the man with more wool over his eyes than a Greek Merino, if you care to remember (or if you were to pissed at the time, ask the shop asistant at Katies when you pay off the lay-by), last year the Chooks had a virtual ENTIRE first grade side out. Remember they had to drag Cusak out of the reggies to captain the side v Knights? Parra have had an injury run nowhere near as bad. So Hindy got crook for a while. What are we, a friggin one man team like Newcastle?

The way this is going, the most interesting thing about 2004 will be your excuses for why Smith can get the side to the top 4 AGAIN!!!!!!

poojar

Juniors
Misty Bee said:
Yawn. Misty doesn't like Smith - Misty must therefore be ridiculed. How do we ridicule him? How about below: Poojar's effort.

perhaps something a bit more productive would be, if you dont think Smith should coach next year, who else would you have coach? And remember itd have to be someone that you could nearly guarentee would get better results to justify the payout that would be needed for Smith.

I personally would rather give him another year, than pay him out and get an untried coach.

So no other coach in the NRL could repladce him this year, but wait 12 months and we can get any old Tom, Dick or Harry? Great strategy that one.

perhaps you read my email wrong misty. i personally would rather give him another year, THAN (a linking word in a choice between two options) pay him out and get an untried coach (for next year).

i didnt ridicule you, i just asked the question who else would you have coach us next year that will justify the payout of Smith.

Maybe you should read my posts properly before you ridicule me!!!!!

If we don't have the players to handle such a mental strain than no matter which coach we have, and no matter how good he is, he won't be able to do it. Maybe the roosters got lucky and had those type of people that could lift in sucha situation, and maybe we weren't so lucky. How can you say that our boys are actually able to do it, but not under Smith? Where is the evidence for that? There's NONE, no matter what excuse you give.

And after looking at the without-Hindy, with-Hindy 2003 figures, it looks like he was more important to us than we would have thought. But let's not forget about Caylo, Burty, Dykes, Hodgson and Vella etc either.

The Roosters got lucky and had their players back by Round 19 or so, so they could start a charge at the right time. prior to this they were, like us, in danger of missing the cut, but they stormed home with a full team on deck basically. We had no such luxury.

But then again, maybe our boys don't have the ingrained mental ability to overcome those obstacles. not hacking on them, but its just a possibility is all. This is not something that can be taught easily, often not at all, and some people just get lucky while other miss out on the luck. I've studied enough psychology to know the truth of this.

Get over your obsession with Smithy, Misty, cause guess what - HE AIN'T GOING NOWHERE!!!! WWHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-HOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Hollywood Jesus said:
If we don't have the players to handle such a mental strain than no matter which coach we have, and no matter how good he is, he won't be able to do it. Maybe the roosters got lucky and had those type of people that could lift in sucha situation, and maybe we weren't so lucky. How can you say that our boys are actually able to do it, but not under Smith? Where is the evidence for that? There's NONE, no matter what excuse you give.

And after looking at the without-Hindy, with-Hindy 2003 figures, it looks like he was more important to us than we would have thought. But let's not forget about Caylo, Burty, Dykes, Hodgson and Vella etc either.

The Roosters got lucky and had their players back by Round 19 or so, so they could start a charge at the right time. prior to this they were, like us, in danger of missing the cut, but they stormed home with a full team on deck basically. We had no such luxury.

But then again, maybe our boys don't have the ingrained mental ability to overcome those obstacles. not hacking on them, but its just a possibility is all. This is not something that can be taught easily, often not at all, and some people just get lucky while other miss out on the luck. I've studied enough psychology to know the truth of this.

Get over your obsession with Smithy, Misty, cause guess what - HE AIN'T GOING NOWHERE!!!! WWHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-HOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"If we don't have the players to handle such a mental strain than no matter which coach we have, and no matter how good he is, he won't be able to do it."

And who's job is it to get the right players to our club Jesus??.......it's Brians duty to get the best possible players to our club & retain them when performing and to be shown the door when there not!!

El Diablo

Post Whore
Ron Jeremy said:
Hollywood Jesus said:

"If we don't have the players to handle such a mental strain than no matter which coach we have, and no matter how good he is, he won't be able to do it."

And who's job is it to get the right players to our club Jesus??.......it's Brians duty to get the best possible players to our club & retain them when performing and to be shown the door when there not!!

And if the current mob aren't mentally capable then he should get rid of them.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Hollywood Jesus said:
and you don't know that til u get em here and find out, do ya?

We still have some of the 2001 mob here and if they're not mentally cabable(as you were saying earlier)then what are tey still doing here?

I'm not really saying anything except that in football, failure is not necessarily the result of the coach, as some seem to think no matter what.

just offering alternative possibilities. I don't think what i said is true in the least, but no one can provbe it isn't and no one can prove Smith is the reason we haven't won yet.

Basically my whole point in this is whinge all you want, nothing will change because you think you know what's best. All you do is prove you are a whinger, if you do nothing else but whinge.

But hey, when you're not me, life's obviously gonna suck so everyone can go ahead and whinge all they want. It's perfectly understandable. :D

theicemandanno

Juniors
How bout we get a graph showing the 7 years prior to BS and the 7 years with BS.

Here, ive even got the figures for you:

1990 - 8th out of 16 missed finals
91 - 15th/16 missed finals
92 - 15th/16 missed finals
93 - 11th/16 missed finals
94 - 12th/16 missed finals
95 - 19th/20 missed finals
96 - 13th/20 missed finals

1997 - 3rd/13 made finals
98 - 4th/20 made finals
99 - 2nd/17 made finals
00 - 7th/14 made finals
01 - 1st/14 made finals
02 - 6th/15 made finals
03 - 9th/15 missed finals

Had enough of a bitchslapping yet ;-)

Ron Jeremy

Coach
theicemandanno said:
How bout we get a graph showing the 7 years prior to BS and the 7 years with BS.

Here, ive even got the figures for you:

1990 - 8th out of 16 missed finals
91 - 15th/16 missed finals
92 - 15th/16 missed finals
93 - 11th/16 missed finals
94 - 12th/16 missed finals
95 - 19th/20 missed finals
96 - 13th/20 missed finals

1997 - 3rd/13 made finals
98 - 4th/20 made finals
99 - 2nd/17 made finals
00 - 7th/14 made finals
01 - 1st/14 made finals
02 - 6th/15 made finals
03 - 9th/15 missed finals

Had enough of a bitchslapping yet ;-)

You forgot to mention the calibre of players at Brians disposal compared to 90-95 & the introduction of the 3.25 million dollar salary cap!!