What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Two things we could learn off the world game...

Moffo

Referee
Extra Time - From a fairness perspective....golden point does not make sense. The other team should be given an opportunity to respond should one team score. Whilst golden point is exciting, I don't think it is a fair way to decide an 80min game

Offsides - The offside rule is so convoluted in RL. Whilst they are someway on the path to football...it should simply come down to whether they get involved...there is still a bit of murkiness in relation to the rules where they are inside 10m of where the try is scored

Simple, but I think easy to make changes

Cheers,
Moffo

TheEelDeal

Juniors
f**kIN SPAIN AFSGSDGDSGA
But seriously, golden point is sh*t. Just a field goal kickathon. Who wants to watch that?

Patorick

Staff member
f**kIN SPAIN AFSGSDGDSGA
But seriously, golden point is sh*t. Just a field goal kickathon. Who wants to watch that?
Eels-still-hunting-for-the-new-Sterlo-5992428.jpg

Eels Dude

Coach
If anything Soccer should learn off rugby league. Golden Goal would be a perfect idea for their game. Suits it a lot better than it does League. Given how difficult it is to score a goal in the first place, a team that actually manages to put one into the nets in an extra time situation should thoroughly deserve to win the game instead of running around for another 25 minutes just in case the opposition happens to nail one back in that period.

Paullyboy

Coach
I can't believe someone honestly suggested that the offside rule in soccer is more clearcut than in league.

sooperdooper

First Grade
If anything Soccer should learn off rugby league. Golden Goal would be a perfect idea for their game. Suits it a lot better than it does League. Given how difficult it is to score a goal in the first place, a team that actually manages to put one into the nets in an extra time situation should thoroughly deserve to win the game instead of running around for another 25 minutes just in case the opposition happens to nail one back in that period.

disagree.. golden goal was around for a long period of time.
Extra time is definately the answer.. it provides everyone the time to actually play the game.
Instead of a long ball kick and hope.

Same as league.. if it is extra time we will see teams attempting to play instead of field goal attempts.

thorson1987

Coach
disagree.. golden goal was around for a long period of time.
Extra time is definately the answer.. it provides everyone the time to actually play the game.
Instead of a long ball kick and hope.

Same as league.. if it is extra time we will see teams attempting to play instead of field goal attempts.

I lie that. But i would rather Golden Point with an exception. No Field Goals.

VictoryFC

Bench

Soccer already experimented with Golden Goal. Who loved it? No one. So it went back to how it was, the way it should be. If Rugby League has anything to learn from soccer, its that rule changes shouldn't be done at the whim of an incident. There are so many instances in soccer that call for rule changes, but thankfully FIFA aren't as reactionary as other sports.

Also, the offside rule in soccer is so simple to understand that only people who have never watched soccer seem to chime in with "it makes no sense" statements.

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
I've said it before and I'll say it again - anyone who thinks 'golden try' is a good idea is off with the fairies.

That'd be like Wilt Chamberlain learning how to have sex off Stephen Hawking

VictoryFC

Bench
Even the NFL has changed their Overtime rule. When the first team scores, the 2nd team gets one more possession (I think thats it). It used to be basically golden point.

People who think golden point will be better with no field goals , what do you do with the 5 minutes before fulltime. Only allow tries in that period to.

If golden point is to exist then leave it.

If after 80minutes its a draw , fair enough , but you are going to get continual shots at fied goal well before fulltime.

adamkungl

Immortal
To the golden try fans - what happens if a team scores 5 field goals, then the other team scores a try? the team that scored a try still lose?

Jono1987

Juniors
During the regular season if teams can't be separated after 80 minutes then both teams deserve a point out of it. In finals football or Origin if teams were equal after 80 minutes I'd give them a further 10 mintues (5 minutes for each side going eachway) that would be played regardless of how many points were scored. Then and only then if teams were still equal I would use golden point.

typicalfan

Coach
They are only field goal-a-thons because our field goal kickers suck. They should all be getting lessons from Darren Lockyer.

Latest posts