What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tyrell Sloan

thebigredv

First Grade
I was glad that the kid got his chance......and he went ok for his first outing.....but I would like to see him put some beef on before I was confident he could handle the no 1 jersey week in week out especially in defence.....understandably he was a bit tentative at times but Im sure as he matures and fills out a bit his time wilk come

On a night when even Rava was getting picked up and carried into the in goal I felt with his slight build he did well in the physical side of things. Compared to watching Duff get dragged back with every other hit up it was a nice change. And unlike Duff, he'll only get bigger.

Yes I am a Dufty fan but want Tyrell to succeed big time.

Dufty‘s first NRL game saw him score a sublime individual try against Manly. Criss crossed west, back east and accelerated through the line and then had the high end speed to hold out Tommy Turbo for a 30 metre line dash to score.

Tyrell was confident, returned the ball well and had a big dig. Beaut kick chase and back up for a well deserved try. Also stopped try with one on one tackle second half. On the downside, pushed a failed pass, got stripped ( in his defence seem to stripped on the ground after tackle complete; could have been our penalty), weak arm grabbed and missed Whitehead tackle in Raiders 2nd try and seemed lax behind the line when big Tapine burst over for his Raiders try.

In other words a ‘ rocks and diamonds‘ type situation. A bit like…..

Tyrell has a beautiful floating running action and may well approach Dufty’s speed. That was only his first match in NRL and I will be cheering Tyrell on to hopefully build into a top liner.
I think the three downsides you raised are harsh.

The “pushed” pass was in good one and the fact it was dropped was not Ty’s fault.

Yes, he was stripped by a very good and sign experienced first grade hooker. Thanks can live with that. He will be better for the experience.

As for the try he “failed” to stop, clearly not his fault.

When faced with a clear one on one challenge he made a copy book table on a big centre. No sign of fear at all of the physicality needed to bring Kriss down. Great technique.

Crush

Coach
So firstly, a good debut from Ty in very difficult conditions. Has some things to learn and develop and i think he'll get 2 or 3 more games in first grade, similar to Amone.

I read posts regarding Sloan and i'm in disbelief at some comments, like "disappointed in his performance", or "not ready until 2023" etc. Seriously, wtf were you watching!!! The time for rose-coloured glasses has past. Dufty is gone, there will be no last minute turn around.

As for Ramsey at fullback, there's a definite difference between him and Sloan. Ramsey plays frantic football (imo), many moving parts all happening at once. Sloan is just the opposite. Both need to put on some weight, but, for Ramsey his body can only take on 2 maybe 3 more kg's. The weight he's put on already has already had an effect on his speed. Sloan, on the other hand, can put on 5+ kg's without effecting too much.

Last point, again Sloan's debut was very good, and remember, he'd been out for a fouple of weeks with a calf injury, and only several weeks ago was playing SG Ball. Plus add in a pretty bad broken jaw, which had a real impact on his weight.

Duff will see out most of the season at fullback, but, i'm confident Sloan will be our custodian next year.
He moves well, trails every play and seems like a confident type.
He’s our fullback.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
People's thoughts about who plays fullback v Warriors? While one good performance doesn't make a complete player, I was surprised Hook quite clearly stated Dufty will come back into fg next game.

I'm very literal so I will take that as fact though I realise coach's play games with the media. The cynic in me reckons Dufty wasn't even injured but I don't know...

Personally id be giving Sloan as many runs as possible. Play Dufty off the bench if need be. Sloan looks like our future and I'd imagine, just like the fans, the coach would be looking beyond the horizon for better days for our club.

Dufty was abysmal against the Bulldogs- a team, on paper at least, not as strong as the Raiders against which Tyrell was much better in terrible conditions. Dufty looked distracted and disinterested and deserved to be dropped- and yes there may have been some "fake injury news" involved in that. He is a confidence player and If the coach has told him that he is not up to it and has no future at the club, can we really expect him to reproduce his Brisbane heroics in the coming weeks and months?

Personally, I can't see any justification for picking Dufty at FB again unless injury or suspension rubs out Sloan and Ramsey. But Sloan should be the 1st choice FB from now. Picking Dufty would simply send a message that poor performance has no consequences.

thebigredv

First Grade
No player has ever excited me more than Nathan Blacklock. I know I won't be alone in that. He was the ultimate entertainer who played off the cuff, and knew how to find the line.

When Sloan did that little chip and chase, and follow through to score his debut try it showed vision and innovation and it was all a little awkward and gangly. I swear in that moment I saw Tingha and I saw a huge ray of light for this club.

Let's hope we see more him real soon.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
I can tell you that Sloan is a great frame for adding size. For all the David Peachey comparisons, I think he has more of an Inglis frame.

Ramsey will always be small. It's genetics.
Sloan is the answer. Now that his jaw is sorted, and after a big off season he'll be a beast.

Guaranteed.
I know nothing about genetics but based on the range of skills he showed against the Raiders, I think he's going to be a unique player.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Cannot remember which Canberra player it was but was through for a try in the 1st half only to be brought down by Sloan. From then I knew this guy will be a better option than Dufty. Dufty would have let that try in for sure and Saints won by 2 so would have cost us. Sloan still has alot to go but for a fist game in NRL it was a good start. He will only get better.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Cannot remember which Canberra player it was but was through for a try in the 1st half only to be brought down by Sloan. From then I knew this guy will be a better option than Dufty. Dufty would have let that try in for sure and Saints won by 2 so would have cost us. Sloan still has alot to go but for a fist game in NRL it was a good start. He will only get better.
It was Kris I think. Beast of a man.

True_Believer

Juniors
Dufty was abysmal against the Bulldogs- a team, on paper at least, not as strong as the Raiders against which Tyrell was much better in terrible conditions. Dufty looked distracted and disinterested and deserved to be dropped- and yes there may have been some "fake injury news" involved in that. He is a confidence player and If the coach has told him that he is not up to it and has no future at the club, can we really expect him to reproduce his Brisbane heroics in the coming weeks and months?

Personally, I can't see any justification for picking Dufty at FB again unless injury or suspension rubs out Sloan and Ramsey. But Sloan should be the 1st choice FB from now. Picking Dufty would simply send a message that poor performance has no consequences.

What happened to claiming we shouldn't let Dufty go and Hook has no idea what he's doing?

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Hook by all accounts wants Norman to stay. Looks like Possm's favourite retention guru Millward wants him gone as Hook stated he tried hard to convince them to keep him but they want to go a different path.

Latest posts