What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tyrone May

Abacus

Juniors
Lighten up mate. If he gets sacked well and good, I’m just expressing my opinion.
Haha, mate I've got no problem with your opinion, just tired of the general "media hates our club" pity seeking behaviour of some on here. If others have decided we're the bad guys, I'm happy to embrace it as it probably means the main thing pissing them off is that we're winning.

But agree, I'm happy to see the back of May too. I just don't think it will happen.

Kilkenny

Coach
Really? I suggest you go back through this thread brother. There’s a couple of people who think he’s being hard done by in relation to the backlash he’s copped from the filming incident.

He f**ked up. If he gets the sack because of it I for one won’t be upset.
99%of posters in here and fans generally accept he f**ked up.

I don’t think there is anyone who thinks he has been hard done by. He pleaded guilty, was convicted and punished by the Court.

His indiscretions post criminal conviction are now at the forefront and form part of the show cause notice as to why he should or shouldn’t remain a Panther going forward.

I don’t condone what he did resulting in his criminal conviction, it was poor, very poor unacceptable conduct.

I really don’t want to offer an opinion about his social media post, I hate social media, it has damaged our society the whole social media thing. It can be so poisonous and influenced by the leftist minorities in our society.

My opinion has only ever been he needs to be dealt with fairly and not a victim of the PC world we now live in. Everyone deserves there day in court, even if his situation is not a court, but a board meeting to determine his fate.

soc123_au

Staff member
Really? I suggest you go back through this thread brother. There’s a couple of people who think he’s being hard done by in relation to the backlash he’s copped from the filming incident.

He f**ked up. If he gets the sack because of it I for one won’t be upset.
My interpretation has been most people are fine with his punishment over the filming incident, but a lot think the reaction to the tweet is harsh.

I suppose it depends if you seperate them. In my opinion the media have treated the tweet as an extension of the original crime. Where I and some of the others are treating the tweet as a separate issue.

He is guilty this time for being a dummy, but I dont think much worse than that.

In saying that I think the best thing for him is to be out of the spotlight for a while. Whatever the result I dont think the bloke deserves to have his life destroyed. For all his faults I kind of have a bit of respect for him in that through all this process he has not thrown one single person under the bus to try and get leniency. I can see why he is popular with the playing group whether they were involved in the sharing group or not. If he says he has your back I reckon he means it.

Kilkenny

Coach
Haha, mate I've got no problem with your opinion, just tired of the general "media hates our club" pity seeking behaviour of some on here. If others have decided we're the bad guys, I'm happy to embrace it as it probably means the main thing pissing them off is that we're winning.

But agree, I'm happy to see the back of May too. I just don't think it will happen.
You think post GF the media have presented a fair and balanced viewpoint around our celebrations.

Who is seeking pity, just some of us believe the media have gone way over the top in there efforts to play down or criticise our achievements.

The_Frog

First Grade
They would know what the conditions are and whether or not he breached them.
Don't be so sure about that. Rugby Australia got this very point wrong and you'd think they're a bigger show than the Penrith Panthers. At least Panthers have that precedent to refer to.

roofromoz

First Grade
It shouldn't bother you if they have to pay him a settlement. They paid Hook a settlement, and they paid Gus a settlement. The courts in almost all cases won't make an employer re-employ someone they've already sacked. Maybe they will pay him out anyway without the need for court, at least in part. It would be hard to demonstrate that a social media post of some song lyrics was grounds for dismissal after all. A reasonable barrister would tie them in knots.

He's off contract though a few days before the deadline. Is the club therefore liable in any financial payout? And if so, what implications for the cap?

Abacus

Juniors
You think post GF the media have presented a fair and balanced viewpoint around our celebrations.

Who is seeking pity, just some of us believe the media have gone way over the top in there efforts to play down or criticise our achievements.
They've tried to make mountains out of molehills but I've been surprised by the over-sensitivity of our forum in reacting it to it rather than laughing at the desperation of journos. If May hadn't given them a free hit, it would be all over already.

Alintheeast

Juniors
PC, Cancel Culture whatever the reason for mine he should go, my understanding is Rugby League is a team sport. May could of won us a game or two but his tweet was about him not the Panthers. It was about how badly “he” not we was treated. May could have said the journos, pundit, so called experts shat on my mates, my team my suburb but no he had spit and whinge about Tyrone May.

Abacus

Juniors
He's off contract though a few days before the deadline. Is the club therefore liable in any financial payout? And if so, what implications for the cap?
Media is reporting his 2022 contract has now been registered by NRL. So while payout under the contract may be minimal, settlement to offset any risk of claim for unfair dismissal is possible. Any settlement included in the cap.

The_Frog

First Grade
A contract was inked, but not yet registered with the NRL. If they pay him out, my guess is that would be included in the cap. If they don't, he is free to seek remedy in the courts, any settlement most likely would be included in the cap. Just guessing here though but that seems the most likely.

Kilkenny

Coach
They've tried to make mountains out of molehills but I've been surprised by the over-sensitivity of our forum in reacting it to it rather than laughing at the desperation of journos. If May hadn't given them a free hit, it would be all over already.
I agree, but our celebrations were not worthy of such a negative narrative and I don’t think fans should be chastised for calling it for what it is.

Don't be so sure about that. Rugby Australia got this very point wrong and you'd think they're a bigger show than the Penrith Panthers. At least Panthers have that precedent to refer to.

RA had a massive long term deal in place, we have a small one year deal. Our liability here is very small if we have to settle.

DinkyDi

Juniors
A contract was inked, but not yet registered with the NRL. If they pay him out, my guess is that would be included in the cap. If they don't, he is free to seek remedy in the courts, any settlement most likely would be included in the cap. Just guessing here though but that seems the most likely.
Yet he was paid for nothing when he served his suspension.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Yet he was paid for nothing when he served his suspension.
and so that makes it right .........

It was a no fault stand down by the NRL. Yes he was paid for that.

Was he paid for the actual suspension. Probably only a few folks know actual answer to that.

Kilkenny

Coach
As I have suggested I don’t believe his conduct is worthy of dismissal but if our board see it differently I’m not going to lose any sleep over it. I tend to think you make your own decisions in life, either by actions or words, so if he is let go so be it. Tyrone has done some dumb shit, not least his behaviour resulting in criminal conviction so if he is let go I agree he probably only has himself to blame. I don’t think he should be sacked but I will understand the reasons why if that is the way this sad situation plays out.

Abacus

Juniors
I agree, but our celebrations were not worthy of such a negative narrative and I don’t think fans should be chastised for calling it for what it is.
Sure, call it overboard but not "the media hates us". There's a difference and a lot of the articles were trash journalism so not sure why any fan would take them seriously or take offence.

IMO, if May's post had not occurred a lot of the media narrative is likely very different.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
I'm hoping it's say an 18 week suspension (which is super harsh). Put him back on the tools, play park footy and see where we go from there.....

Media is reporting his 2022 contract has now been registered by NRL. So while payout under the contract may be minimal, settlement to offset any risk of claim for unfair dismissal is possible. Any settlement included in the cap.

Does unfair dismissal apply to contractors? They’re not always covered by all labour laws.

Kilkenny

Coach
and so that makes it right .........

It was a no fault stand down by the NRL. Yes he was paid for that.

Was he paid for the actual suspension. Probably only a few folks know actual answer to that.
I’m pretty sure he continued to receive his salary during the period he was stood down.

I'm hoping it's say an 18 week suspension (which is super harsh). Put him back on the tools, play park footy and see where we go from there.....

That’s a terrible deal for the club. We lose a player for 18 weeks and he has to stay in our top 30.

Much better just to sack him. It’s effectively the same thing and we can replace him in the top 30.

Latest posts