What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tyros' form a consolation for Bennett

RedVDave

First Grade
Tyros' form a consolation for Bennett

Jake Marketo's dad, Mike, and Kyle Stanley's brother, Chase, had given them plenty of advice about what to expect in their NRL debuts, but neither mentioned that a team-mate could be carried off during the pre-match warm-up.
''We were doing some tackling and the next minute the big bloke just dropped, so we've all gone to look but everyone was just saying 'Stay focused, stay focused','' Marketo said of the injury to Dragons prop Dan Hunt, who is out for the season with a ruptured Achilles.
Almost as unexpected for Marketo, whose father played for Balmain in the 1980s, was the sight of his 17-year-old flatmate, Alex McKinnon, sitting next to him on the interchange bench as Hunt's replacement after playing in the under-20s match.

Marketo got on the field in the main game but McKinnon warmed the bench for the entire 80 minutes.
''I live with Alex and when I saw the big redhead come out and sit on the bench, I was thinking, 'How good is this'. It would have been great if he had got on,'' Marketo said.
As it was, the Dragons still had three debutants in the side following the late withdrawal of centre Beau Scott due to a knee injury. That resulted in Stanley shifting from fullback and Kalifa Fai-Fai Loa being promoted on to the wing.
''He played a great game,'' Stanley said of Fai-Fai Loa, who leads the statistics for metres gained in the Toyota Cup. ''He was very strong and took a lot of workload off the forwards. It is what he does best and everyone thought he played well.''
All three were impressive but none more than 18-year-old Stanley, who scored a try and laid on another for Jason Nightingale.
''That just came out of the top of my head. I saw the opportunity to pass to Jason and he scored,'' Stanley said. ''[But] all the boys stuck in really well and that is what Wayne [Bennett] is really proud about.''
Stanley said his brother Chase, who is set to make his Melbourne Storm debut in next Sunday's match against the Bulldogs, had phoned him several times yesterday.
''He just said do your normal game routine and play your natural game because that is what you do best,'' Stanley said

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-a-consolation-for-bennett-20100523-w40s.html

Even though they lost, I think the boys will take a lot of confidence out of the game yesterday. Bennett would have been very proud of their heart and courage to stay in the game. The young guys will be much better for the game and we know that we can rely on them over the next 6 weeks.

Godz Illa

Coach
Nice article that. Saints haven't seen more than a couple of debutants since 07 really, but when it rains it pours.
I had a feeling McKinnon would warm the bench for the full 80, but when Emmett went down I thought Wayne may have been forced to throw him on

big_dell

Juniors
i thought mckinnon would warm the bench too. but trent merrin said that sitting on the becnh the whole time against the broncos was good for him as he got a feel of what its like, even though he didn't play.