What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tyson Gamble

Reflector

Juniors

> Hey hey hey hey....not bad. You're nailing it
> Thanks mate
> Yeah
> Means a lot
> I don't know what it is about your face, but I wanna deliver one of these right in your suck hole
> Is there anything I can do to work on that?
> No, not really - it's your face
> Again man, you're doing great - this is the finals! Newcastle's having a great time, the team's having a great time - you blocked Jamal's shot - but if you don't change your face, I'm gonna change it for you.
> Ok...ok...all I can do is take that in, consider it, just try and do my best version of whatever I think that would be-
> I don't even hear what you're saying right now 'cause your face is driving me nuts
> Again-
> Woooah - Danika!

Big Pete

Referee
Tyson is such a competitor and he's somebody who isn't afraid to have a shot. I remember when he first came back from the Tigers, the Dolphins were 5/14 and were playing well within themselves. He gets them there and against all odds takes them to the semi finals where they barely went down to a very talented Wynnum side.

He doesn't make any excuses either. A couple of years later, he was over in Darwin as 18th man for the Broncos. Usually players would take a break or go through the motions in reserve grade, but Gamble took the red eye to Cairns and came up with this gutsy try saving tackle where his opponent raced 70 odd metres.

The next week he's leading the Broncos to their second win of the season after they found themselves down by 22 points. It doesn't matter if the team is struggling he's going to give it everything he has. He'll make mistakes and at times he'll be found out but the fans pick up on it and he just makes you proud to support him.

Reflector

Juniors
Once Happy Healthy Harold hangs up the boots and goes back to teaching primary school kids about drugs, there's a vacancy for the Qld #7 jersey. Considering Walsh should have the fullback role to himself, you wonder if there could be an argument for putting Ponga at 5/8th and Gamble at half for Qld. Tyson is the kind of guy who'd play every Origin like it's his last, and unless I'm mistaken he's got experience at halfback too?

Yosh

Coach
Once Happy Healthy Harold hangs up the boots and goes back to teaching primary school kids about drugs, there's a vacancy for the Qld #7 jersey. Considering Walsh should have the fullback role to himself, you wonder if there could be an argument for putting Ponga at 5/8th and Gamble at half for Qld. Tyson is the kind of guy who'd play every Origin like it's his last, and unless I'm mistaken he's got experience at halfback too?
I think Munster and Sam Walker will be there next halves pairing. Ponga and Walsh will be a good battle and I think Qld will only pick one and put the other at 14.

If Gamble keeps on improving and can play a whole season at a high level, he should be in the discussion for selection at least!

Apey

Staff member

A year before Tyson Gambleā€™s forearm ended up with Jack Wightonā€™s mouth around it, the Knights five-eighth found himself on the McDonald Jones Stadium big screen on his first day in Newcastle.

More than 13,000 fans booed him. Jacob Saifiti sprayed him. And Gamble gave them all the oiliest, smart-arse grin you can imagine.

ā€œI put a bomb up and [Saifiti] half hit me in the air,ā€ Gamble said before the Knightsā€™ chaotic, extra-time win over Canberra, in which the Newcastle No.6 claimed Wighton bit him early in the second half. Gamble is instead recalling his first visit to the city, while playing at the Broncos scrumbase last year.
ā€œI laid on the ground, milked the penalty, bounced back up and then the whole crowd was booing me. I was on the screen smiling, carrying on.

ā€œJ-Saf let me know about it at the time and then [again] as soon as I got here. It was a great start with the Newcastle fans.ā€
Theyā€™ve quickly come around though, and rightly so. Gamble was in anything and everything against the Raiders. Setting up tries, conceding them, charging down field goals, cramping like nothing else, and of course reeling out of that tackle on Wighton.
Knights five-eighth Tyson Gamble and Canterbury captain Reed Mahoney exchange pleasantries.

Knights five-eighth Tyson Gamble and Canterbury captain Reed Mahoney exchange pleasantries.Credit: NRL Photos
The incident was the flashpoint of the finals, and continued the rugby league theme that has characterised Gambleā€™s approach and career to date.
ā€œMight have been a few too many beers, Iā€™m not too sure,ā€ he said with a grin, confirming that his parents missed the second half of his debut for Wests Tigers at Campbelltown in 2018.

In between, Gamble has spent five years becoming an overnight success with the Knights. Alongside Jackson Hastings, he half of an unlikely Newcastle halves pairing that has helped steer the club from the bottom four less than three months ago to a 10-game winning streak, a third straight sellout crowd and a semi-final against the Warriors on Saturday.
Two years ago, a return to the tools ā€“ as an electrician, where he started on $8.30 an hour ā€“ looked more likely.
Worth the Gamble: Happy times in the Hunter for Newcastleā€™s No,6.

Worth the Gamble: Happy times in the Hunter for Newcastleā€™s No,6.Credit: NRL Photos
ā€œIā€™d been full-time for four years, had played three games and I was off contract,ā€ the former Bronco said.
ā€œThat 2021 season was a tough year for Brisbane and I got an opportunity in a game against the Titans.

ā€œI looked at myself and said, ā€˜This is it. Youā€™re about to play your fourth game in your fourth year. You either take it now, or this might not be the career path for you.ā€™
ā€œFortunately enough, I played really well that game. We were down by something like 20-0 in 20 minutes. But we came back and I think I got man of the match.
ā€œI sort of realised that if I knuckle down and look after myself, I can actually make a career of this. That was a bit of a turning point in my career. It was make or break: you either take this opportunity or get back on the tools.ā€
Twenty-two games for Newcastle this year is the result of Gamble taking his latest opportunity. Bonuses triggered by that game time take his cut-price contract to more than $200,000 next season.
Assistant coach Blake Greenā€™s influence has helped the 27-year-old get ahead of the game and ā€œkeep my perspective around the ruckā€.

ā€œIā€™m not suddenly hit with, ā€˜Play the ball right now, Iā€™ve got to do this, this and thisā€™,ā€ he said. ā€œAnd with Jacko [Hastings] on the ball a lot, I get that extra time to see whatā€™s happening on the field, where defenders are tired or not really in the line.ā€

His playmaking skills have undoubtedly developed. But Gambleā€™s starving-dog-with-a-bone mentality will always be his greatest asset.
ā€œHonestly, I just hate losing, and always have,ā€ he said. ā€œAthletics days at school, card games, board games, I just hate losing. I donā€™t want to lose. Footy was the same; Iā€™d cry as a kid if Iā€™d lost, or if we were losing, Iā€™d cry in the game because I just wanted to win.
ā€œSo, ball on the ground, youā€™re the first bloke to it. If thereā€™s a tackle to be made, you make it.

ā€œThe niggles, the pushing and shoving, I love that stuff. If I can get somebody else off the game ā€“ whether itā€™s for one play, two minutes or the whole game ā€“ Iā€™ll take that.
ā€œIā€™ll wear it and I know a lot of people think Iā€™m a bit of a grub, but Iā€™ll wear that name tag if it helps the team.ā€

Yosh

Coach
I think 27 is when a play maker's prime starts so it's perfect we got 2 halves around that age on the cheap. If we end up keeping Clune, we would have 4 halves next year all on the cheap and all first grade quality. That is the sort of depth we have been craving all this time!

I think 27 is when a play maker's prime starts so it's perfect we got 2 halves around that age on the cheap. If we end up keeping Clune, we would have 4 halves next year all on the cheap and all first grade quality. That is the sort of depth we have been craving all this time!
Clune is off the the ESL