What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U-18s Grand Final

CyberKev

Staff member
For those who may be interested, the TAC U-18 Grand Final will be on this Saturday also, and we should be able to catch much of it on TEN.

The Gippsland Power and the Dandenong Stingrays are the two sides squaring off, and some of the top young players from the upcoming draft will be on display, including:

Xavier Ellis (tipped to go top two in the draft);
Nathan Jones (possible top ten midfielder);
Travis Tuck (likely Hawthorn f/s);
Jay Neagle (likely Essendon f/s);
Lachlan Hansen (younger brother of West Coast's, Ashley); and
Curtis Barker.

Young Sam Carpenter will also be playing and he is definitely inspiration plus, given that he only has 1 good arm and 1 part arm.

It'll be worth watching to get a glimpse of the "Uncanny X-Man" alone, even though he would appear to be Collingwood bound :(, but I'm obviously keen to get a glimpse of young Tuck.

CyberKev

Staff member
meltiger said:
No Calder?! Interesting.

Makes for a pleasant change.

Much talk abounds as to whether Hawthorn should risk 38 on young Tuck.

No-brainer for mine given his pedigree and the number of times he has featured among the best players in TAC games.

Of his 338 possessions for the season, 311 have been effective ones, an astonishing rate of 92%!!!

Sounds like a worthwhile risk to me.

Maybe if we're lucky the Uncanny X-Man will have a flat game and Collingwood will rethink using pick 2 on him.

CyberKev

Staff member
Scratch what I said about the game being on TEN.

TEN prefers to have Moonface Newton wanking on with yesterday's men on trivial matters.

FOX have sole rights to the TAC Grand Final, bugger it! ](*,)

meltiger

First Grade
Damnit ... No fox for me :(

Surely, if young Travis was passed over and ended up becoming the star his brother looks to be on his way to becoming (& all reports say Tuck #2 is better) - The Hawthorn recruiters would be lynched?!?!

CyberKev

Staff member
meltiger said:
Surely, if young Travis was passed over and ended up becoming the star his brother looks to be on his way to becoming (& all reports say Tuck #2 is better) - The Hawthorn recruiters would be lynched?!?!

As I see it, by the time you get down to pick 38 you're pretty much starting to stab in the dark anyway.

You might as well keep the masses happy, particularly with stats like he has been returning in the TAC.

Whether he ends up being better than Shane remains to be seen. All this, he looks better at this age type of crap is fine, but until he gets picked-up and gets some results on the board its all just speculation.

meltiger

First Grade
CyberKev said:
Whether he ends up being better than Shane remains to be seen. All this, he looks better at this age type of crap is fine, but until he gets picked-up and gets some results on the board its all just speculation.

If he continues the family tradition of coming on massively in his early twenties he'll be a hell of a player.

choc_soldier

Coach
CyberKev said:
Young Sam Carpenter will also be playing and he is definitely inspiration plus, given that he only has 1 good arm and 1 part arm.

I saw a story on Sportsworld (I think) about him, and for what he can do considering his disability, is just truly amazing.

CyberKev

Staff member
parra_panther said:
I saw a story on Sportsworld (I think) about him, and for what he can do considering his disability, is just truly amazing.

Yeah, he's a goer alright, the lad.

His junior record is quite remarkable, but -- alas -- its hard to see an AFL team being brave enough to punt on him at draft time.

CyberKev

Staff member
meltiger said:
If he continues the family tradition of coming on massively in his early twenties he'll be a hell of a player.

Yes.

Although it would be even better still if he broke from tradition and came on strong in his late teens instead :badgrin:

meltiger

First Grade
CyberKev said:
Yes.

Although it would be even better still if he broke from tradition and came on strong in his late teens instead :badgrin:

Nah ... Let him fail for 2 years, get delisted, go to Adelaide for a year then get picked up by Richmond in the 70's ;-) ;-)

Sounds like a plan to me :D lol

Stormin Norman

Juniors
the thing about calder is they cover a fair big area and its on the edge of metro an country and have an area that is heavaly populated wit dence housing and a good set up to make it work unlike the neighbouring western jets

CyberKev

Staff member
Well, I finally got to watch the game and was impressed by a number of players...

NATHAN JONES: Was awesome in racking-up 36 strong disposals for the losing side and must certainly be a big show of being drafted top ten. Has a sturdy build, neat skills and plenty of stamina. Will be looked at closely by Collingwood, Essendon, Richmond & Brisbane among the sides holding top ten picks, I would think.

DALE THOMAS: Took man of the match honours, with 20 great possessions and 4 superb goals. Has plenty of promise as a neat, fast and extremely skillful outside midfielder cum peripheral forward and should be snapped-up with a first round pick.

DANIEL NICHOLS: Hard running, hard at it centre player with good skills and a scintillating burst of speed.

RICKY DELPHINE: Tiny rover who moves with pace, thinks well through situations, and shows enormous courage.

SCOTT PENDLEBURY: Tall and rangy outside mid/forward type who kicks well and could develop nicely upper body.

TRAVIS TUCK: Sign him up Hawks! Was fabulous in the first half with hard running bringing 16 direct possessions. Faded in the second half, but has a good left foot and attitude.

XAVIER ELLIS: Nice smarts and skills and can move well. Didn't have a huge game, but did take a huge mark. Will come on well, but I somehow think Jones may be the better option.

AuckMel

Bench
CyberKev said:
Well, I finally got to watch the game and was impressed by a number of players...

NATHAN JONES: Was awesome in racking-up 36 strong disposals for the losing side and must certainly be a big show of being drafted top ten. Has a sturdy build, neat skills and plenty of stamina. Will be looked at closely by Collingwood, Essendon, Richmond & Brisbane among the sides holding top ten picks, I would think.

I was really impressed by this bloke. Despite not getting BOG, I think he was far and away the best, with only a few turnovers hurting his game.

CyberKev said:
DALE THOMAS: Took man of the match honours, with 20 great possessions and 4 superb goals. Has plenty of promise as a neat, fast and extremely skillful outside midfielder cum peripheral forward and should be snapped-up with a first round pick.

Top class player.

I enjoyed the whole game. I make sure my son watches these sort of matches just to show him what he'll be up against in a few years time.

CyberKev

Staff member
Auckmel,

Your son must go alright does he?

I agree with your comments on the match and the two players that you focused on.

I was actually remiss not to mention the boy Magner (could be spelt wrong) from the beaten Stingrays, who kept at it all day, and showed plenty in terms of both getting the pill and using it under pressure.

AuckMel

Bench
CyberKev said:
Auckmel,

Your son must go alright does he?

He does ok. Captaining the U10's next year and he'll still only be 8. Plays on the wing, but generally takes a tagging type roll. The coach and the club think pretty highly of him already.

Reminds me a lot of his older brother who's a bit of a sportsman too.

One day though, I think he'll have to choose athletics or footy as he's already triple jumping close to 7 meters.

CyberKev said:
I agree with your comments on the match and the two players that you focused on.

I was actually remiss not to mention the boy Magner (could be spelt wrong) from the beaten Stingrays, who kept at it all day, and showed plenty in terms of both getting the pill and using it under pressure.

There was another small bloke at the back (on the losing side) who kept a bloke much bigger than him very quite. Name escapes me but, i was impressed.

CyberKev

Staff member
AuckMel said:
One day though, I think he'll have to choose athletics or footy as he's already triple jumping close to 7 meters.

7m at his age?! That's very nice.

AuckMel said:
There was another small bloke at the back (on the losing side) who kept a bloke much bigger than him very quite. Name escapes me but, i was impressed.

I think you're referring to Adam Kirkwood.

I should have mentioned him also, as he had much the better of Jay Neagle on the day.

Unfortunately for him, his small stature (184cm) will make it hard for him to get picked up. In the TAC, FB is often reserved for the lesser KPP types to begin with, and to impress at that height you'd probably need to be knocking-up possessions through the midfield.

AuckMel

Bench
CyberKev said:
7m at his age?! That's very nice.

He did his PB of 6.81 before he turned 8!! :)

We're seriously thinking about some extra coaching for him.

CyberKev said:
I think you're referring to Adam Kirkwood.

That's him.

CyberKev said:
I should have mentioned him also, as he had much the better of Jay Neagle on the day.

Unfortunately for him, his small stature (184cm) will make it hard for him to get picked up. In the TAC, FB is often reserved for the lesser KPP types to begin with, and to impress at that height you'd probably need to be knocking-up possessions through the midfield.

Yea, fair points.