What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U20 comp given green light

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Awesome news.

I am all for it.

Will help create a truly national comp in the end.

Qld Rugby league will be fine, Qlder's love rigby league.

Brutus

Referee
I think it's a good idea.

Every NRL game now has a guaranteed quality curtain raiser.

Be good if they could create a quality reserve grade comp for players older than 20 and show it on the ABC.

Red Bear

Referee
My issue with this is it basically puts premier league in 3rd structure, sending my club further back in the eyes of the rl world. Fantastic way to celebrate 100 years of rugby league (101 seasons), put clubs like norths and newtown further of the scale.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Given teh WARL are going to put a team in the JB cup from 2008 I would have thought it would have made more sense to have had a team in this comp instead. Gives WA players a better exposure to NRL scouts and is a more logical stepping stone to a full franchise in the future.

gallagher

Juniors
Perth Red said:
Given teh WARL are going to put a team in the JB cup from 2008 I would have thought it would have made more sense to have had a team in this comp instead. Gives WA players a better exposure to NRL scouts and is a more logical stepping stone to a full franchise in the future.

You used words 'sense' and 'logical'. This is rugby league Perth Red!!!!

Next you will be asking why they are calling a comp involving 3 of the 6 states 'national'.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
gallagher said:
You used words 'sense' and 'logical'. This is rugby league Perth Red!!!!

Next you will be asking why they are calling a comp involving 3 of the 6 states 'national'.

The N in NRL stands for NSW, not National, you doofus. Everyone knows that! :sarcasm:

ledzep

Bench
The Premier League and Queensland Cup - now effectively the third tier - will still be better quality than this U/20s comp

Timbo

Staff member
Perth Red said:

Can I just ask, what's the point of entering a team in the JB Cup?

With this new competition, the JB Cup is effectively a 4th string competition.

Surely PL or the QLD Cup were better options?

Misty Bee

First Grade
Lockyer4President! said:
The N in NRL stands for NSW, not National, you doofus. Everyone knows that! :sarcasm:

And we should strengthen that notion by punting sh*t destructive clubs like Brisbane and reinstating more 'N' clubs, like Newtown and Norths.

McCrud

Juniors
Misty Bee said:
And we should strengthen that notion by punting sh*t destructive clubs like Brisbane and reinstating more 'N' clubs, like Newtown and Norths.

Ahhhh, the great one...Misty Bee...... has arrived.

The great one has come to unleash his patented brand of Bronco hate upon us all....all hail the great Misty Bee!

Misty Bee

First Grade
Stay on your knees, Le Peasant. I don't hate the Broncos, but merely respond to dipsh*ts like Locky and their NSW paranioa.

Timbo, I reckon if you are going to introduce another side fromPerth, encouraging a side to enter the Jim Beam Cup is a great idea, because it not only opens the door for a NRL side, but also develops the juniors as well. Far better than an Under 20 side, where they have to move state when they are 21.

McCrud

Juniors
Misty Bee said:
Stay on your knees, Le Peasant. I don't hate the Broncos, but merely respond to dipsh*ts like Locky and their NSW paranioa.

Misty Bee, you don't know who you are talking to.

As a longtime lurker on this site, I have taken the time to study the posters most prevalent in the time-honoured art of the 'Bronco-Bash'.

Misty, your hatred of the triumphant boys from Brisbane knows no bounds, it exceeds anything I've ever witnessed. It is truly a sight to behold.

So, please, Misty, don't be modest, your talking to me, and I know the truth - you HATE the Broncos with a passion.

Don't undersell yourself Misty. In fact my analysis has concluded that you in fact hate the Broncos more then you love the Eels. Although this finding may shock you Misty, I have another - even more shocking theory:

You actually LOVE the Broncos - my assessment has concluded that you contribute more posts to hating anything Bronco-related then you do to praising the Eels. Keeping the Broncos in the news Misty - I like your style.

Perhaps we have a double-agent in our midst.

It's ok Misty - we'll keep this secret between you and me ;-)

nqboy

First Grade
"The ARL confirmed the current Harold Matthews and SG Ball competitions would be expanded to become national pre-season under-16 and under-18 competitions. Both competitions will include the three Queensland NRL sides, and Melbourne Storm in a joint venture with Central Coast Rip."

Wonder who's going to pay for the travel involved with that.

Are the HM and SGB currently played pre-season? What do the kids do after these comps finish?

innsaneink

Referee
nqboy said:
"The ARL confirmed the current Harold Matthews and SG Ball competitions would be expanded to become national pre-season under-16 and under-18 competitions. Both competitions will include the three Queensland NRL sides, and Melbourne Storm in a joint venture with Central Coast Rip."

Wonder who's going to pay for the travel involved with that.

Are the HM and SGB currently played pre-season? What do the kids do after these comps finish?

Study-exams, SC,HSC

bender

Juniors
I actually think that this is good for the QRL. At the moment, there are too many players playing in the QRL who dont want to be there, and the clubs become a bit transient. This means that more of the players will be a little older and will stick with the clubs for longer. I doubt any drop in standard will be noticeable.