What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uai

beef

Juniors
Ive been looking around at careers that might be good for me and I just want to get the scores they ask for in perspective of what everyone gets. One asks for a 94 and up and im just wondering if thats exceptionally high or what.

The Devil

Bench
Well that is considering on the scaling of your subjects. But basically here's the lowdown

if you get mid 80's for all your internal and external exam marks, you're well on your way to getting at least a 95

So try and aim for Band 5 all round and you'll get close to what you want to get into.

Stranger

Coach
95 is a very very good uai. What are you looking at? I though you were going to become a sparki?

beef

Juniors
Yeah was. Got over the idea of it when I really looked into it. Now im thinking of doing sports physiotherapy. Only early days but im only in year 10.

Stranger

Coach
:lol:, that is one of the hardest subjects, but look at the side courses...

You can do a few of them, and then get into it with a less UAI.

Stranger

Coach
If you're doing physio, do a course that deals with muscles or somthing that will be an added bonus towards Physio. Im not sure what course are available, but there are plenty.

axie

Juniors
beef said:
Yeah was. Got over the idea of it when I really looked into it. Now im thinking of doing sports physiotherapy. Only early days but im only in year 10.

UAI wise physiotherapy is the hardest degree to get into at Newcastle with last years cut off being around 96.85. If you’re serious about doing physio though, I would recommend you do as many sciences as possible in year 11 and 12, chemistry, biology and physics all play a big role in the degree.

Misanthrope

Staff member
The UAI pleasers seem to be Physics, high level Maths/English, Ancient History, Chemistry etc. Not sure on the humanities, as I didn't do any myself. It also varies dependent on your school. There's no 'scaling' in the traditional sense any more. The current system works by comparing your in class marks against the in class marks of all of your class-mates (in all of their classes) to establish a clear picture of what you were marked against.

At least, that's how it was explained to me. The classes listed above are typically populated by the better performing students - as opposed to IT and Drama.

TooheysNew

Coach
There are no UAI pleasers as such. Trying to play the system by doing the harder subjects will just drive your UAI down. If you have any prereqs for the course, do them, aside from that choose courses you think you will do well in and enjoy.

Devil, mid 80s wont get you a 95 UAI. You'd be lucky to get 90.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Devil, mid 80s wont get you a 95 UAI. You'd be lucky to get 90.

Mid to high eighties got me a UAI above 90, and I had to contend with doing drama and IT in a small town high school.

Lynchy

Juniors
Enough thinking about UAI's, i have an option that you might want to think about.

The University of New England (in Armidale) has an Early Acceptance scheme where your entry doesnt get based on your UAI,but on a recommendation from your school principal. So if you think youre not going to achieve the desired result in the H.S.C it may be an option you can look into. Your school career advisor wouold be the best one to ask. Its what i did!

See I got high 70's in the H.S.C (which was crap cause i thought id do better lol) but my UAI was scaled down because of the school i went to (Good old Macquarie Fields for you lol) and only came out with a UAI of 55.75, which cut my options down to living on the dole or doing hairdressing at TAFE lol, no chance of the Uni degree i wanted. But because i went through the Early Acceptance scheme, just as a back up, i got into 2 different courses and was able to choose between the two.

You may not want to move away from to home, to Armidale but i did, lived at a college (GO EARLE PAGE!!!) and had the best time of my life

Just some choices for you (hope ive been some help!!!)

Misanthrope

Staff member
You went to UNE, lynchy? When? I was at UNE (also got in via the Principal's Recommendation scheme, accepted it before I got my UAI) from 2002 until the end of 2004. Lived in Drummond & Smith College for a year before making the move to town.

Armidale isn't a bad option as a fallback. It's a lovely spot, big enough to have the major things you want in life, and small enough that you don't get overwhelmed by the move to a city.

Lynchy

Juniors
I was there in 2004. First semester i was a nursing student then changed my course to Theatre studies. I think i know you dude, or you know me, by association.... lol.

I was the guy who stared in Ali Juchau's version if the Hot Mikado as Nanki-Poo if you managed to come and see us.

oh and living at drummond and smith.... thats just shameful lol :lol:

Misanthrope

Staff member
I was there in 2004. First semester i was a nursing student then changed my course to Theatre studies. I think i know you dude, or you know me, by association.... lol

If you did theatre studies in 2004, I should know you. I didn't see Hot Mikado, though. Were you in anything else in 2004? Maybe one of the 333 productions?

Lynchy

Juniors
well i was suppost to be in a 333 production. i dont remember the guy who directed it or the name... lol... its been too long, but i couldnt do it, i was the guy who let everyone down and was hated by the entire 333 class and in Sue Fells black list lol. A lot has changed since then and im not such a Punani lol. It was the production, the characters name is Pavel and him and his wife lived in a pig sty. Come to think of it, i think the directors name was brendan. So if youre in contact with him tell him im deeply sorry.

I also did the lights for the all dance production, and it had music from movies like Amile, i dont remember her name either(damn my memory is bad) but she was very talented.

So you might remember me and are right now thinking "oh that knob", but like i said, a lot has changed.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Bwahahaha, Deano (Brendan) is one of my best mates. So you're the infamous SOB who let him down? j/k :lol:

I don't think we ever met, but I heard about that. Don't think there are any hard feelings, Deano's a pretty forgiving bloke, but I'll pass it on to him next time I see him. He's in Sydney now, so I don't see him so much.

Small world, heh.

Lynchy

Juniors
Indeed it is a small world. I didnt meet a lot of 333 people (for fear of being stoned to death lol) but am still really close with Ali juchau and chat to her all the time. Good times though.

And bugger you for not seeing hot mikado :lol:

Misanthrope

Staff member
Ali was an interesting girl, lol. My housemate actually went on a date with her once, although it didn't pan out. Did you get to see her production of 'Greek' in 2004? It was absolutely amazing. She was basically on the fringe of my circle of friends, how is she doing these days? Still in Armidale?