What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Umpires cost Australia the Ashes

The issue in cricket is why do they use the 3rd umpire for this dismissal and not that one. Strauss, in the first inning when he swept onto his shoe, they went to the replay to check it out, yet Martyn has had inside edges given as LBW when a replay would have shown otherwise.

This isn't just about this series, the umpiring and cricket administrators need to have a policy on the use of replays. Wrong decisions happen and always have, but it's when the umpires decide that, yes, we'll have a replay on this one, but no, not on that one, is where the system and umpiring is inconsistent, IMO.

JJ

Immortal
this is hilarious stuff - I can see the fun you had when us Kiwi's were getting sour about umpiring decisions... just brilliant!

Iafeta

Referee
waltzing Meninga said:
It is quite clear that if, thoughout the match every decision was made correctly, Australia would have won that match and the Ashes.

Imagine after we got bowled out for 387, We were allowed to have Ponting, Martyn and Katich back in. We probably would have set them somewhere aroun 220 - 250 to win.

So when are we going to start using the technology???? Otherwise the ashes is going to become a lottery. With the 2 teams so close it is going to come down to who gets the better of the decisions in the 5th test.

At the moment we have 2 extremely inept umpires out there. Im not even sure The pakistani knows the LBW law. We need to have the best 2 umpires for the 5th test. Even if it means bringing in Simon Taufel. Regardless of what country they are from we need the best umpires out there because obviously these 2 have no idea and are spoiling this great series

Same deal last year, New Zealand complained of several umpiring decisions over here - refer back to El Diablo and Zippy's posts from last year, you'll get no sympathy from us.

Deal with it.

Iafeta

Referee
Tommy Smith said:
:lol:

That's right, it's a claytons Ashes series win. Just like when Australia drew with NZ in 2001 when the umpires killed the Kiwis. Langer 1st ball at Brisbane, Steve Waugh at perth which cost them the win.

The umpiring decisions in Australia used to be so bad in Australias favour that Michael Holding would have fun keeping count...the counts ended about 16-3 in Australias favour. And who can forget the inside edge from Sehwag which was given out in India which hurt them...or the amount of times Gilly has been lbw but not given (the lbw to Hoggard was his first ever to a fast bowler). I remember at Brisbane last year he was lbw about 5 times to Vettori but not given once.

Interesting isnt it when the shoes on the other foot...

Besides, its not as if Australia havent received the odd decision this series...Warne was plumb lbw, Clarke was plumb lbw to Hoggard as well last night.

Bottom line is England have been the better team and deserve to be 2-1 ahead.

Very interesting. Some of the most hypocritical reactions I've ever heard, last year, and for the past 10 years, sweep it under the mat, stop complaing about injuries, stop complaining about umpiring, now all we're hearing is oh yeah but we don't have Pigeon, and those umpires just aren't good enough.

Rastus_in_Melbourne said:
The issue in cricket is why do they use the 3rd umpire for this dismissal and not that one. Strauss, in the first inning when he swept onto his shoe, they went to the replay to check it out, yet Martyn has had inside edges given as LBW when a replay would have shown otherwise.

This isn't just about this series, the umpiring and cricket administrators need to have a policy on the use of replays. Wrong decisions happen and always have, but it's when the umpires decide that, yes, we'll have a replay on this one, but no, not on that one, is where the system and umpiring is inconsistent, IMO.

I totally agree. The 3rd umpire should be able to be called upon in any situation.

At the end of the day all the players want all decisions to be correct. No-body wants to win or lose a series because of umpiring errors. It cheapens the game. If you lose because of bad decisions you are furious and if you win because of them it doesn't feel as good because you havent won legitimately.

Its all well and good to say the decisions even themselves out, but it is quite clear that as shown in this series they don't and 1 side is disadvantaged severely.

Fact is if England win legitimatley I, with many others will congratulate them on a wonderfull performance. And wouldnt that be so much better for the game than there being doubt over the legitimacy of the victory?

Bring in the 3rd umpire for the 5th test!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fish eel

Immortal
waltzing Meninga said:
Fact is if England win legitimatley I, with many others will congratulate them on a wonderfull performance. And wouldnt that be so much better for the game than there being doubt over the legitimacy of the victory?

so lets give the kiwis the trans tasman trophy from a few summers back.

its cricket, it balances out in the end

fish eel said:
so lets give the kiwis the trans tasman trophy from a few summers back.

its cricket, it balances out in the end

Fish EEL, handing trophies back has nothing to do with this whatsoever.

This is about bringing in the 3rd umpire for all decisions. If the Kiwi's were hard done by a few years back then that only supports my case. Everyone in the game wants the right decisions to be made and it is not happening.

I don't think there is any question that, apart from the 1st Test, England has been far and away the better side and thoroughly deserve their 2-1 lead.

Having said that, the last three Tests have been nail biters and I hope that the 5th Test is also a closely fought contest. Test cricket needs these kind of matches and I look forward to 8th September. I hope McGrath is back.

Scott

Bench
The umpires haven't cost you the Ashes. You have a team with a couple of magnificent players, a couple of good solid grafters, an arrogant opening batsman who thinks he is gods gift and won't learn from his mistakes, and a captain with no idea!

You have been outplayed, out coached and well and truly out thought.

In saying all this, you can still win the final test and save the Ashes. If Simon Jones is out, it will be a MASSIVE loss for England.

fish eel

Immortal
waltzing Meninga said:
Fish EEL, handing trophies back has nothing to do with this whatsoever.

This is about bringing in the 3rd umpire for all decisions. If the Kiwi's were hard done by a few years back then that only supports my case. Everyone in the game wants the right decisions to be made and it is not happening.

If your going to talk about Australia not being beaten legitimatly, then it cuts both ways.

NZ fans wopuld argue that we didnt beat them legitimatly a few years back, so hey, if we're going to say a side wasnt beaten legitmatly because of some umpiring decisions, why not hand back trophies???

At least this way we could keep the ashes!

dice

Juniors
JJ said:
you're being a dead-set idiot - they are legitimately beating Australia, and it has much more to do with Australian incompetence and abysmal captaincy than umpires and reserve fielders

The Martyn and Pointing inside edge LBW, and Jones caught behind may have been forgiveable 50/50 deicsions go against the aussies. But Flintoff was as plum LBW on 8 (made 102) and Katich decision was atrocious. These are clear cut and critical decisions going against the aussies that ultimately decided the game and possibly the series. If you can't see any of that then you are the deadset idiot.

And once again if you can't see how resting bowlers who have bowled 3 days in a row could effect their performance then you are an idiot. If there was no advantage to be gained by constantly subbing bowlers prior to their spell the poms wouldn't be doing it, as simple as that.

fish eel

Immortal
dice said:
The Martyn and Pointing inside edge LBW, and Jones caught behind may have been forgiveable 50/50 deicsions go against the aussies. But Flintoff was as plum LBW on 8 (made 102) and Katich decision was atrocious. These are clear cut and critical decisions going against the aussies that ultimately decided the game and possibly the series. If you can't see any of that then you are the deadset idiot.

As I've said, if we had held or catches, none of the above would have mattered.

All this moaning just makes us look like bad sports.

As has been pointed out, when the sheep lovers were moaning about decisions going against them last summer, they were told to stop whinging.

fish eel said:
If your going to talk about Australia not being beaten legitimatly, then it cuts both ways.

NZ fans wopuld argue that we didnt beat them legitimatly a few years back, so hey, if we're going to say a side wasnt beaten legitmatly because of some umpiring decisions, why not hand back trophies???

At least this way we could keep the ashes!

You are missing the point completely. What I am saying is that it is bad for the game, it's players and spectators when a side loses or wins a game because of umpiring decisions. Handing back the trophies is not going to solve the issue.

The most frustrating thing is that there is a simple way to solve it but for some reason the ICC refuses and it is cheapening the game

Scott

Bench
Get a grip Meninga. For the last 15 years any team playing Australia has been playing 13. The umpiring 'errors' are ALWAYS massively in favour in Australia.

Mistakes happen. Deal with it.

England has simply been better than Australia in this series so far.

waltzing Meninga said:
You are missing the point completely. What I am saying is that it is bad for the game, it's players and spectators when a side loses or wins a game because of umpiring decisions. Handing back the trophies is not going to solve the issue.

The most frustrating thing is that there is a simple way to solve it but for some reason the ICC refuses and it is cheapening the game

I agree with what you're saying, it's an issue that's going to be around long after this series has been decided. The ICC really should be brave about it, I mean cricket has been through so much in the last 30 years to bring it into the modern era, lets not stop now cause it will ultimately benefit all teams.

borat

Bench
The Title of your thread is "Umpires cost Australia the Ashes". Not that its bad for the game, not that the third umpire should be used more. Fish Eel is excatly right, you are being a bad sport.

I for one can't stand it when the English and Kiwis carry on about umpiring decisions so there is no way I am going to do the same. As long as the game has umpires on the field there will always be contentious decisions and most will favour the home team. Thats how it is and we have benefitted from this on many occasions in Australia.

These 2 umpires are performing quite badly and I think this may see the end of their respective careers but its far from the reason why we are getting beaten. Its simply that England for the last 3 tests have been too good.