What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Under rated actors

Maybe not underrated as such but there's plenty of comedians who are (perhaps) surprisingly good actors. Jim Carey, Eddie Murphy, Gervais/Merchant/Pilkington, Bill Burr, John Candy and Don Rickles are a few that spring to mind.

Also I reckon Sigourney Weaver seems underrated to me.

No one knows who he is but Unknown Hinson is a country music singer and is a wonderful voice actor as Early Cuyler on Squidbillies.

John Candy gets a +1 from me. And yes - all those other guys can act... well..

Who does not rate Robin Williams?

Sorry, I like the thought, but Robin is a legend to everyone.

Known for being a funny merkin, one of the best ever.

But was rated for his roles, too many to name.

May I???

Mrs Doubtfire
Good Will Hunting
What dreams may come
Good Morning, Vietnam
Dead Poets Society
Moscow on the Hudson..

Some of my favourites. And while I didnt ncessariily rate the film highly - he was chillingly brilliant in One Hour Photo.

For one of the most famous comedians of all time - the guy's range in acting on the big screen was phenominal.

As for under-rated - I tend to agree he is a legend to everyone. But I also think that because he could to everything from comedy to drama to suspense to pretty much anything there is - yep I'd suggest under-rated. Not many others could cover what he could.

Last edited:

horrie hastings

First Grade
It’s kinda funny... I was talking about this topic with an American friend last night and he gave me Sam Neill...

i was like... nahhh he’s rated very highly... then I realised he’s rated highly in NZ and Australia and the UK... but American audiences probably only remember him from Jurassic Park.

Damien Thorn in The Final Conflict ( the third Omen movie) which was his break through Hollywood movie way before Jurassic Park.

Last edited:

shiznit

Coach
May I???

Mrs Doubtfire
Good Will Hunting
What dreams will come
Good Morning, Vietnam
Dead Poets Society
Moscow on the Hudson..

Some of my favourites. And while I didnt ncessariily rate the film highly - he was chillingly brilliant in One Hour Photo.

For one of the most famous comedians of all time - the guy's range in acting on the big screen was phenominal.

As for under-rated - I tend to agree he is a legend to everyone. But I also think that because he could to everything from comedy to drama to suspense to pretty much anything there is - yep I'd suggest under-rated. Not many others could cover what he could.

The Fisher King... he was brilliant in that too...

Rod McClusky

Juniors
Same. I was having this conversation with someone the other day - that there's not a single film of Brad Pitt's I've seen that I didnt like. And that he's been brilliant in all of them. Yes he's very high profile but yes he doesn't get the plaudits like others - and possibly for reasons you say.

Snatch, 12 monkeys, Fight Club, Legends of the Fall, Inglorious Basterds, Seven, The Departed, Moneyball, World War Z, Oceans Eleven, 12 Years a Slave, Fury.... not all his films there but that's a pretty damn impressive CV right there.. (well at least I loved all these...).

Pitt even had a cameo on Being John Malkovich - my 2nd favourite film of all time.... (looking forward to the LU all time favourite movie results...).

Another Under-rated actor I suggest..

Daniel Bruhl - played Niki Lauda in Rush - awesome performance, amongst a few other films of his I've seen (inc Inglorious Basterds). He's been brilliant in all.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Brühl
True romance is his 2nd best
Se7en he is at his best

“What’s in the BOX?”

myrrh ken

First Grade
May I???

Mrs Doubtfire
Good Will Hunting
What dreams may come
Good Morning, Vietnam
Dead Poets Society
Moscow on the Hudson..

I loved his serious roles. Esp Awakenings.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Another one, Hugo Weaving.

Has never even been nominated for an Oscar or a Golden Globe. The only recognition he has ever received has been right here at home. His performance in V for Vendetta was sublime, despite the fact he is under a mask the whole time.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Another one, Hugo Weaving.

Has never even been nominated for an Oscar or a Golden Globe. The only recognition he has ever received has been right here at home. His performance in V for Vendetta was sublime, despite the fact he is under a mask the whole time.

Yes so true, considering he has been in quite a few big movies like The Matrix and the sequels and Priscilla. His ability to play serious and comical characters is amazing like the heroine addicted ex footballer opposite Cate Blanchett in Little Fish and as the cross dressing police sergeant in The Dressmaker.

nöyd

Staff member
I'm not going to re-read the entire thread to check, but surely someone else has metioned William Fichtner

Jack Deth

Juniors
May I???

Mrs Doubtfire
Good Will Hunting
What dreams may come
Good Morning, Vietnam
Dead Poets Society
Moscow on the Hudson..

You forgot Insomnia

T.S Quint

Coach
Robert Pattinson is known only as the sparkly vampire dude from Twilight. It’s a shame because he has put in some impressive performances in some quality movies since then.

The Rover
Cosmopolis
The Lighthouse
Lost City of Z

If there is any doubt as to if he is underrated or not we only need to look at the uproar over his casting in the new Batman movie.

T.S Quint

Coach
For a very long time I would always say how two of the most underrated actors were Brad Pitt and Leo DiCaprio.

I’m glad they have gotten the recognition they deserve.

Generalzod

Immortal
3bc63353a136966767d92e54147770b4.jpg