What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Underestimate Walker at your peril, Sailor tells Eels' rivals

eels81236

Bench
I'll be disappointed if we don't make the 8. In fact it will be a failure of a season if we don't.

mrpwnd

Bench
Why im confident...
INU - WHATUIRA/ATKINS
MATEO - RENI/SHACKLETON
KK - MCGUIRE/BRUEST/
CAYLESS - WEBB
GROTHE - HICKS/WALKER
So yes stagger id say our gains will cover our losses plus we have more depth in each position but i just feel that moi moi and Poore will have a lot better years.Horo and Mannah will improve and our forwards have a bit more mongrel about them.I think our halves cant go any worse and than there are some young guys coming thru like obrien-mitchel Loko Lassalo and ohanolan sio humble who werent ready last year but are perhaps ready to step up...
I could be wrong but i hope not.But we werent getting flogged last year and at times played some great footy
I guess on paper and in theory it all sounds like roses and flowers and all that gay sh*t, but a lot of our the buys that the club has made to cover the losses come with more cons than they do pros, especially when our best potential buys, Reni in particular, are a pretty big gamble. Sure a fair few have a point to prove, but it takes more than just that, realistically most of them have been far from their best and competitiveness for a while now. I genuinely hope for a good season, but just taken from a different perspective it's hard not to be just a tinge bit of a pessimist.

He will have to be better than Inu and turnstiles Wright - but Wendell talks up all of his mates so I take his comments with a grain of salt.

Personally I think Hicks will be the better signing.

Eels Dude

Coach
Why im confident...
INU - WHATUIRA/ATKINS
MATEO - RENI/SHACKLETON
KK - MCGUIRE/BRUEST/
CAYLESS - WEBB
GROTHE - HICKS/WALKER
So yes stagger id say our gains will cover our losses plus we have more depth in each position but i just feel that moi moi and Poore will have a lot better years.Horo and Mannah will improve and our forwards have a bit more mongrel about them.I think our halves cant go any worse and than there are some young guys coming thru like obrien-mitchel Loko Lassalo and ohanolan sio humble who werent ready last year but are perhaps ready to step up...
I could be wrong but i hope not.But we werent getting flogged last year and at times played some great footy

Interesting way of looking at it. Fats and Atkins are probably fringe first graders at best. Inu played poorly last year, but what he can do potentially far outweighs those two. Webb is no way a decent replacement for Cayless. He can't play the minutes and can't take the workload that Cayless achieved so someone else is going to have to pick up the slack in that regard. Cayless was a 45 minute per game prop. Webb is 30 minutes on a good day.

Is Maguire still first grade standard at his age and being out of the NRL so long? Is Bruest good enough to be a first grade player to begin with? Only time will tell. Hicks will be a good finisher, as can Walker if his head his screwed on right. But neither can offer as much to the side as Tahu and Grothe. Admittedly Tahu had a poor year, but on form he's a much better player than Chris Walker. Hicks is the only outside back I expect to do well next year, but even then we're going to miss Grothes hitups.

Mateo vs Maitua. Well that all depends on what type of player Reni comes back as. People seem to think he'll be the buy of the season but I tread cautiously. He was poor in his last season in the NRL and with two seasons out there's a big question mark if he still has it. I certainly don't expect him to offer the attacking brilliance that Mateo is noted for when in his best form.

I think Walker should do ok playing out on the wing. He was always one of those players that had a lot of weaknesses in their game though, a bit like Grothe, that oppositions target so I think all of us Eels fans are going to be holding our breath and doing a fair bit of swearing when opposition sides attack down his side of the field.

aqua_duck

Coach
What concerns me about Walker is that he was a player who akways relkied on his blistering speed and at 31 and after a few injuries his speed won't be what it once was, so hopefully he's developed a few more strings to his bow which I somehow doubt given how long its been since he's played 1st grade week in week out

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Interesting way of looking at it. Fats and Atkins are probably fringe first graders at best. Inu played poorly last year, but what he can do potentially far outweighs those two. Webb is no way a decent replacement for Cayless. He can't play the minutes and can't take the workload that Cayless achieved so someone else is going to have to pick up the slack in that regard. Cayless was a 45 minute per game prop. Webb is 30 minutes on a good day.

Is Maguire still first grade standard at his age and being out of the NRL so long? Is Bruest good enough to be a first grade player to begin with? Only time will tell. Hicks will be a good finisher, as can Walker if his head his screwed on right. But neither can offer as much to the side as Tahu and Grothe. Admittedly Tahu had a poor year, but on form he's a much better player than Chris Walker. Hicks is the only outside back I expect to do well next year, but even then we're going to miss Grothes hitups.

Mateo vs Maitua. Well that all depends on what type of player Reni comes back as. People seem to think he'll be the buy of the season but I tread cautiously. He was poor in his last season in the NRL and with two seasons out there's a big question mark if he still has it. I certainly don't expect him to offer the attacking brilliance that Mateo is noted for when in his best form.

I think Walker should do ok playing out on the wing. He was always one of those players that had a lot of weaknesses in their game though, a bit like Grothe, that oppositions target so I think all of us Eels fans are going to be holding our breath and doing a fair bit of swearing when opposition sides attack down his side of the field.

Or;

- Inu had potential but never showed it last year
- Tahu, most on here were disapointed about his form and were glad for him to go.
- Grothe is a big loss but was injured for most of last year
- Keating struggled to make the starting side
- Cayless was on his last legs, Mannah and Poore will increase their game time now. Webb may only need to play a solid 20 to 30 mins.
- Mateo yes would have been nice to kept. But Shackleton is like having a new player as his replacement, yes different players but the Shackle runs straight and hard. Horo will continue to improve and has the ability to off-load in a more controlled manner. Don't care about Reni, I just see it as a bonus for the squad if he happens to show good enough form to get a call up.
- I am disappointed we lost Wright, I bagged him at first, but last year he started to show some potential. I bet he wished he had now stayed, but not to sure if there were any other issues with him leaving.

Basically the players we let go last year had potential (Mateo, Wright, Keating and Inu) and had not yet shown it - and we have replaced them with experienced players who may or may not still have the ability for the NRL. I don't think our squad is weaker then last year. I think we have more depth in the squad with some good potential in coming up ( Murray, O'Hanlon, Allgood, Loco, Sio, Filga, Mitchell, o'brien)

Eels Dude

Coach
Or;

- Inu had potential but never showed it last year
- Tahu, most on here were disapointed about his form and were glad for him to go.
- Grothe is a big loss but was injured for most of last year
- Keating struggled to make the starting side
- Cayless was on his last legs, Mannah and Poore will increase their game time now. Webb may only need to play a solid 20 to 30 mins.
- Mateo yes would have been nice to kept. But Shackleton is like having a new player as his replacement, yes different players but the Shackle runs straight and hard. Horo will continue to improve and has the ability to off-load in a more controlled manner. Don't care about Reni, I just see it as a bonus for the squad if he happens to show good enough form to get a call up.
- I am disappointed we lost Wright, I bagged him at first, but last year he started to show some potential. I bet he wished he had now stayed, but not to sure if there were any other issues with him leaving.

Basically the players we let go last year had potential (Mateo, Wright, Keating and Inu) and had not yet shown it - and we have replaced them with experienced players who may or may not still have the ability for the NRL. I don't think our squad is weaker then last year. I think we have more depth in the squad with some good potential in coming up ( Murray, O'Hanlon, Allgood, Loco, Sio, Filga, Mitchell, o'brien)

That's fine you if that's your opinion, mine differs. All I'm saying is I don't agree with others in that we have a better side on paper for 2011 than we did the season just gone. It's my opinion we have a much worse side on paper for 2011. Obviously our side on paper means nothing, it's about how you gel as a side and that's equally up in the air, so we can only go judge on 'side on paper' at this stage.

I commend those that look optimistically towards next season thinking we're a top 8 or potentially top 4 side. But I think that's wishful thinking more than anything. On the other side of the scale, the competition is very even and luck can mean the difference between making and missing the finals. As we've found in the past.

natheel

Coach
i think our new signings will all be great for us!, they all r in positions where we have alot of competition for spots. so itll push them to succeed and try harder. i think walker will b a solid buy for us and i think our best buy will be Reni Maitua

Snoochies

First Grade
I think our new sigings will cover the ones that left and they all cost probably half as much. Win/Win.

strider

Post Whore
I think our new sigings will cover the ones that left and they all cost probably half as much. Win/Win.
i reckon they'll be costing way less than half as much tbh

i think all the newbies are guys who will give their all .... i just have concerns about the potential for injuries - plus its hard to judge ability of guys who have been out of the NRL for a period ... but i think they'll have a good attitude and that's as important to our team atm as anything

jk13

First Grade
when u look at the team this year, every single player needs to prove a point. theres the obvious ones like the recruits but theres also hindy at capt and hayne after coming back down to earth.

all i want is an 80min team this year, i can live with that

Eels Dude

Coach
It's irrelevant as to whether they're costing very little though, if we're not spending anywhere near the full salary cap though. Unless you're one of those fans who looks at end of year financial statements, and is pleased with the fact we had a poor year, if it means we saved 500k by not spending up to the salary cap.

Snoochies

First Grade
It's irrelevant as to whether they're costing very little though, if we're not spending anywhere near the full salary cap though. Unless you're one of those fans who looks at end of year financial statements, and is pleased with the fact we had a poor year, if it means we saved 500k by not spending up to the salary cap.

Well if we have a poor year at least we can't whinge that we paid them too much as we did with Inu/Mateo.

Bigfella

Coach
Yep maroubra. If your mate ando had put a line through inu and Mateo at the beginning of the season it was suicide for him not to have sources their replacements first.

Latest posts