What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Underrated Music & Artists

Balmain_Boy

Right, understand what you mean now. I think it's unfortunate how people don't go looking for music enough - they just let it fall in their lap. If they like something on the radio they'll go buy the CD. But so much quality music doesn't get played on the radio, and people miss out on them. Maybe in 30 years people will 'discover' Elliott Smith like the baby boomers 'discovered' Nick Drake in the last 15 years. Hopefully.

Balmain_Boy

Oh, for another underrated artist.

One Joseph Arthur. All Five of his releases have been nothing short of outstanding. Unfortunately most record stores in Australia consider them imports. If you like musical complexity Alex, i'd recommened you have a listen to some of his stuff (if you haven't before).

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
How about we post links to samples of the artists' music if they're (legally) available for download? Here's mine:
Pitch Black - "Lost in Translation (radio edit)" (7.8mb,192kbs mp3) http://www.pitchblack.co.nz/downloads/lost_in_translation_radio_edit.mp3

Primordial - "The Gathering Wilderness" (104kbs real audio stream) http://www.metalblade.de/mp3/primordial-thegatheringwilderness.ram

And I'll add another band to my underrated list, Manes. Awesome wierded out rock/metal act, kinda like a darker Radiohead with some heavy riffs in there.
Manes - "Ende" (mp3) http://www.manes.info/downloads/manes_ende.mp3

fat_mike

Juniors
chris hanna - propagandhi

both the man and the band are incredibly under rated. they are one of the most amazing 3 pieces i have ever seen. riffs that rip you apart lyrics that do the same. the way hanna can cut it on the axe then sings with passion and speex that he does is nothing short of brilliant.

miccle

Bench
Definitely agree about Elliott Smith - he was an absolutely brilliant musician and has inspired me greatly from the time I started writing music in the late 90's. Aside from him, I belive the following are extremely underrated:

Ani Difranco
Violent Femmes (so much more to these guys than "Blister in the Sun"!)
The Lucksmiths (one of the greatest Aussie bands imo, and have been going for 11 years!)

Zoidberg

First Grade
Mere Theory, Aussie band from Adelaide

Also I bought the Resident Eil 2 soundtrack which has some great stuff on it.
Download or listen to KILLSWITCH ENGAGE - END OF HEARTACHE, awesome song, but not sure about their other stuff yet

fat_mike

Juniors
the lawrence arms. great 3 piece. signed to fat wreck chords which is the biggest indie punk label in the world. incrddibly mellow and thoughtful. recentlytoured with anti flag and were equally as brilliant as anti flag. a no nonesense lets get on with the great music live band.

skeepe

Immortal
Not sold on the Lawrence Arms, just don't like their stuff.

Most underrated band IMO is the Dropkick Murphys. If you do one thing before you die, you MUST hear their music.