What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Union- does it do it for ya

Dont know about you people, but i have tried to watch a few games of this world cup but it is just a crap game.We should get down on our hands and knees and worship the people who had the idea to take this game and create League!
If league isnt a better game than ill eat my hat!
Do you reckon that some incentives were given to those that crossed over to this crap game so they could learn a bit about this game because they all made it in.
Id like to see the fallout if Sailor didnt make it
League has so much more

147 days until the town becomes red and blue :lol:

Matt23

Staff member
I've never been a fan of yawnion...far too technical...and you dont think some of those union players that watched the NRL grand final would'nt be interested in playing? rumour has it Iestyn Harris from Wales is keen to return to rugby league.

fosie

Juniors
Apparently league came from union huh? That'd be right. Union was so boring and it sucked so they created league. :lol:

Juniors
No. I hate yawnion. I can't even tell when they are playing the ball or if the biff is on!!!

Newbie said:
No. I hate yawnion. I can't even tell when they are playing the ball or if the biff is on!!!
Freakin ref blows the whistle so much a punch would have to be stopped in midswing :lol: :lol:

147 days until the town turns red and blue 8)

socksie

Juniors
i have never understood union

to me its just league but with only fat guys head-butting each other and little guys at the back who aimlessly kick the ball to each other like a rally

mrford61

Juniors
Not a fan of union and only games I have ever watched is a couple of the Wallaby games. Though I would watch a game of marbles if it was Aust. playing. Especially beating the poms or French.

I think league was born as an alternative for the working class who couldnt get a game in the "society" code and today is still the favoured code of private schools and the supposed upper end of society.

gaterooze

Bench
League in Australia bascially started from a workers compo dispute -- a Union player (a carpenter IIRC) was injured in a game and couldn't work, but because of Union's "amateur" status (most of them were upper-class society types) they refused to pay the player any compensation.

So promoter J.J Giltinan (the bloke the Minor Premier shield is named after) formed a breakaway professional League to protect the working class players, and adopted the more exciting 13-a-side rules which had been developing in England.

As to the current state of Union -- I've tried several times to get into a game, but it's at once boring and chaotic. Almost none of the grace & skill of League, nor its toughness and endurance. To me, it falls down in every category. If League didn't exist, it would be okay to watch, but when you compare the two, I seriously cannot understand the appeal of Union. It seems to be all hype. Or maybe I just don't "get it?"

Case in point-England beat South africa 24? to 6? and 20 points came from kicks at goal.Thank god El Masri doesnt kick for them or they would only have time to kick off!!!! :lol:

145 days until the knighs rein :twisted:

fosie

Juniors
wat's the point of watching the world cup when you know who's gonna win and they end up thrashing and i mean thrashing the other team?? except the South Africa vs England one..........i think :oops:

Doctor

Bench
I used to follow the same line of thinking as that held by most those who have posted here already.

I hated Union, because I saw the alternative and couldn't work out why anyone would care about Union if League was there.

But their international game is so much bigger, and thus I get excited about watching Australia actually compete on that level. I don't like the game so much as the atmosphere of watching rugby (be it union or league) being fought out by our country.

I no understand most of the rules (occassionally a penalty or two will confuse me), and therefore I actually don't mind the sport. What you must appreciate is that it is a different sport - I take it as a something alternative.

The thing is: It is much easier to play than League, especially for backs. Need I point out that Rodgers, Sailor, Tuqiri, Blacklock, Walker etc all rapidly rose to state and some international level within 12 months? It says a lot about how much easier it is to play.

Therefore: No wonder more countries play it at a competitive level - it is easier for sides to compete when they don't have to run back 10 metres in defence.

Nevertheless: I like the game for what it is. If rugby league had close, packed-out capacity games like this, and world cups with 6 real hopefuls of taking the cup, I think League's international game would be on track.

But face it - league internationally has flatlined - big time.
League will become like that girly sport they play down south - only a national sport for Australia and not international.

Union, therefore, at least has an international game.

Union only has an International game because they don't have any form of club level that can be easily recognised or marketed. Therefore it promotes the hell out of their product when it really isn't any different to the international results of League matches. In effect, they have an international game because they keep telling everyone they have one.

astrogirl

First Grade
I've shown a little interest in the rugby world cup, only because I am in a tipping comp at work and I love the prospect of beating the boys :D

A team that has impressed me is the Japanese team. (I can't get over the fact that they are called the Cherry Blossoms though!) I saw a bit of the game against France - while I understand that France were not at their best I was quite impressed to see Japan get within 1 point of the French just after half time. I think it's quite unfortunate that the Japanese have provided quite a spectacle, by exceeding expectations with some good plays and some stoic defence, however are yet to get a point on the board. I can't help but look forward to their upcoming matches.

The_Ben

Juniors
Danish Moo Cow said:
Union only has an International game because they don't have any form of club level that can be easily recognised or marketed. Therefore it promotes the hell out of their product when it really isn't any different to the international results of League matches. In effect, they have an international game because they keep telling everyone they have one.

What about S12, NPC, Currie Cup, Shute Shield and the comps over in England, France and Japan? Don't tell me they aren't club level?

I'm sticking up for union, because not only do I play the game, but for these reasons:

- Less racial gangs when compared to League. I've never seen flares or rioting at a Union game
- A true international game. NZ, Eng, Sth Africa, Australia, Ireland, Argentina, France can all upset each other on their day.
- Real Scrums
- Rucking! At least you can ruck a player if he is committing an infringement.

I grew up in league, but once I took the time to learn the rules of Union, I understood it. Going that step further, once you play the game, you really appreciate the level of work and skill that each position requires. Try being a flanker for 40 mins and most often you'll drop dead from exhaustion before time is up. Or try putting your head into a real scrum and feel the force generated because the scrum is actually contested.

Doctor

Bench
The_Ben said:
Danish Moo Cow said:
Or try putting your head into a real scrum and feel the force generated because the scrum is actually contested.
Umm, thanks but no thanks.

My argument is that League would be harder to play (the cross-code player movement speaks for itself), but that Union is a decent game in itself.

I'm one for singing the national anthem, feeling the atmosphere and getting passionate about the Australians playing rugby against a competitive opposition. If Union is the only code that can offer this then great.

Mind you, New Zealand's win in the international league match on Saturday might help things slightly - it still isn't ideal though.

[quote="The_Ben

What about S12, NPC, Currie Cup, Shute Shield and the comps over in England, France and Japan? Don't tell me they aren't club level?

I'm sticking up for union, because not only do I play the game, but for these reasons:

[/quote]

You can keep telling your Rugby Union selves that till the cows come home. How is Super 12 club level? You don't go to the domestic terminal every week for an away game, do you? It buys players like a club sport, sure, but that's it. The S12 is a made up competition trying desperately to get publicity for a sport struggling for any sort of coverage.

When Union became professional, it realised it couldn't compete with the other sports and it had to be about the hype. Getting big business and elite sponsors behind it allows them to do it, but they won't get behind the ground roots of the sport because no-one gives a stuff about it. You can't hype up the club level of your game at all. It'll waste away on ABC TV every Saturday afternoon because that's all the coverage it deserves.

And the scrums in your game is just another way for your backs to rest. How long does the ball have to stay in them? For a running game they sure don't do much of it, hey?

Real International competition? From 7 nations? That's it, I'm hooked, Ben. Didn't South Africa get out-scored four times by another of your listed teams, England? Argentina get out-scored three times by the Australians? The scores from the Rugby League world cup have been more competitive, Ben. I haven't even heard John O'Niell talk up that side of the game since your WC began. Especially after last weekend.

And guess what, Ben. I've played Union before. I got sick and tired of playing for only 20 minutes a half at most. Do you hear everyone saying how boring it is to watch? Well I can tell them its not much better on the field.