What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Union is boring for Benji

Blaze

Juniors
Tbh a good game of union is a decent specatcle. Watch the bledisloe cup match from 2000 in Sydney that the All Blacks beat the Wallabies 39-35. Rated by many as the best game ever.

The Tank

Bench
Woods99 said:
Misty Bee,

Bought by rugby union from rugby league? Lote, Wendell, and Mat Rogers.

Bought by rugby league from rugby union? Far too many to list here. Including Benji!!!
You can't compare established first graders such as Lote, Wendell, and Rogers to a kid who chose league.

thommo_85

Juniors
Blaze said:
Tbh a good game of union is a decent specatcle. Watch the bledisloe cup match from 2000 in Sydney that the All Blacks beat the Wallabies 39-35. Rated by many as the best game ever.

Yeh, but how rare is it. It also relies on a complete lack of defence, which is rare these days, what with all the league defensive coaches around.

The Tank

Bench
Blaze said:

Is the one where the Lomu scored in the corner at the end? That was a good game, that and the World Cup are the only Union games I've been able to watch the whole way through. And the WC Final was sh*t but it was close.

tiger_nick

Bench
Blaze said:

So you have to go back 5 years to find a decent game?

Blaze

Juniors
tiger_nick said:
So you have to go back 5 years to find a decent game?

No just one that most league fans would remember. Plenty of good union games played this year. TBH I like league more than I like union but with the warriors performing so inadequately this season union has seemed a whole lot more appealing. Especially the international stuff. Thats where league lets itself down. You can't beat competitive international action.

Each to their own. I've never been able to sit through a full game of American Football but there are plenty of people who seem to think it's great.

fourplay

Juniors
Misty Bee said:
I'm sure it is the game they play in heaven - but they don't tell you about the rule changes - 6 tackle rule, 13 players, goals only worth 2 points, forwards without beer guts - no lineouts, no stomping on heads, no amphetamines in the crowd to keep them awake.

Hahaha sig material

Misty Bee

First Grade
Woods99 said:
If you believe that the "rugby" part of "rugby league" is important, then no doubt you will be honouring Sydney University today, the club that started your game here in Australia.

Just as we were all Catholics before the reformation, there is a shared rugby tradition before 1908. Unless, that is, you want to give up the name "rugby".

Eastwood vs Sydney University, ABC television, 3.10 pm today.

Funny, I thought Newtown started League in Australia.

I can't celebrate a club that went back on it's League traditions in the 1930's, because it got flogged in 5 games in a row by Easts from '35-37, and then slink back to Union, where it could be competetive. Just like I won't race off to the nearest catholic church because some ancestor before Martin Luther did.

Maybe you'll be at Taronga celebrating your 'roots' with the chimpanzees.

Murphdogg1

Juniors
Rugby Union is an awesome game

granted Australian style union i believe is completely boring, phases, the induviduality coming from the leaguies such as Tuquiri and Rogers but union in NZ is a different story, much more free flowing and exciting like league in Australia

i love both League and Union, both have strengths and weaknesses so there it is

Woods99

Juniors
Murphdogg1 said:
Rugby Union is an awesome game

granted Australian style union i believe is completely boring, phases, the induviduality coming from the leaguies such as Tuquiri and Rogers but union in NZ is a different story, much more free flowing and exciting like league in Australia

i love both League and Union, both have strengths and weaknesses so there it is

Many of the best young rugby union players in Australia go to rugby league, simply because there are more openings and more money, plus rugby league player agents are numerous, and attend all the junior tournaments.

Plus NRL clubs are prepared to take kids on far younger than the rugby union franchises. Benji, for example, got an offer at an age far younger than he would have had from rugby union in either New Zealand or Australia.

You have a very short memory if you think the Australian style of rugby union is boring. It was Australia that forced the end of the "kick out on the full" rule which used to apply on the whole field, not just the 25/22. You are probably too young to remember the Wallabies sides of the 1989 Grand Slam, or the sides of the nineties, with players like Timmy Horan, Jason Little, and David Campese, or the Ella brothers earlier on. Boring? The ACT Brumbies also boring? Randwick and Eastwood boring?

Sorry, old mate, you need to get your New Zealand blinkers off.

russ13

First Grade
Woods 99 wrote:

...Timmy Horan, Jason Little, and David Campese, or the Ella brothers...
All were RL juniors at one stage.

Sydney club (played yesterday) RU GF crowd was 9412. Down from 12,000 or so last year.

taipan

Referee
Woods99 said:
Many of the best young rugby union players in Australia go to rugby league, simply because there are more openings and more money, plus rugby league player agents are numerous, and attend all the junior tournaments.

Plus NRL clubs are prepared to take kids on far younger than the rugby union franchises. Benji, for example, got an offer at an age far younger than he would have had from rugby union in either New Zealand or Australia.

You have a very short memory if you think the Australian style of rugby union is boring. It was Australia that forced the end of the "kick out on the full" rule which used to apply on the whole field, not just the 25/22. You are probably too young to remember the Wallabies sides of the 1989 Grand Slam, or the sides of the nineties, with players like Timmy Horan, Jason Little, and David Campese, or the Ella brothers earlier on. Boring? The ACT Brumbies also boring? Randwick and Eastwood boring?

Sorry, old mate, you need to get your New Zealand blinkers off.

Again you are talking nonsense,Benji got a scholarship with Keebra park high school(a rugby league playing school on the Gold Coast),and he was older than Kurtley Beale (a junior rugby league player who got a scholarship for playing union) with Joeys for starters.Daniel Roach who plays for Riverview has just been signed for the Waratahs.There are agents looking for talented league players also to play union,thtas why the ARU employs o'Connor.You need to take the blinkers off.
Horan,Little,Campese,and all the Ellas played league before union at school,thats probably why they brought some flair to union.
Ahem Randwick and Eastwood booring yep,I spent Saturday watching the Tooheys premier LOL club rugby union comp G/F between Eastwood and Sydney Uni.Uni had some idea of using the backline,the match was one of the biggest boorfests man ever put on this earth.Collapsed scrums, Fava being down for the count twice and even the commentator said the ref should have asked that he be taken from the field,and 22 odd lineouts so much for kicks out of play.The crowd for a G/F in a 100 year old odd game of just over 9,400 is proof enough ,what the crowd also thinks of the entertainment value of club rugby.They used to get 18,-20,000 in the past. If that is premier club rugby i hate to see the 2nd division stuff.

Jackal Dog

Juniors
I like my RU as well as League, I guess it comes from playing both codes on a regular basis throughout my entire schooling.

But anyway imho since RU went pro it has killed off a lot of the flair and attractiveness that it had when it was still amatuer.

When it was still amatuer teams like Fiji, Samoa, Italy and even Romania could spring a upset now there are only about 7 or 8 teams (which is stretching it with teams like Argentina and Scotland, who I am giving the benefit of the doubt) that are competitive.

As the game becomes more and more elite the fun factor goes out the window. Look at the current world rankings South Africa sit on no.2 in the world yet they play some of the most negative and boring rugby you have ever seen (except for Byran Habana who is awesome) they won all their games in the Tri Nations on the back of playing dull and uninspiring rugby. Then you only have to look back a few years ago when England dominated with the same style of negative play and even won the world cup.

Thankfully we still have teams like France, Australia and New Zealand who still like to play expansive rugby instead of kick for touch etc. and Wales are looking like becoming exciting again like they were in there 80's.

Corbin

Juniors
I like Union, I play union for the biggest Junior Rugby union club in the Southern Hemisphere, Newport

I also play league for my skool team and i aboubslty hate markers up on me quick.

*Paul*

Juniors
Indeed, with the paint you don't get interrupted every couple of minutes by a dropped ball, scrum, reset scrum, penalty, penalty goal attempt, another reset scrum, lineout, and more penalties.

Bernster

Juniors
Woods99 said:
It must be a bit lonely for Benji when he goes back home to New Zealand. All those boring rugby union fans.:D

Maybe he should hook up with those stuck up Silver Ferns and play Netball...Now that is a sport for pansys

Latest posts