What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upcoming Ashes Series

IanG

Coach
I know it's a few months off but I thought I'd start a thread where we can share thoughts about upcoming Ashes Series.

England haven't been going too crash hot since the last Ashes Series and and will be missing a players for the upcoming tour. With McGrath back in teh side if the Poms think they'll be able to easily retain the Ashes they'll be in for a rude shock. The 2 tests England won last year were both where Glenn McGrath was out of the side.

And let's not forget ticket sales being through the roof. It's a wonder the agency's web servers hadn't crashed.

But only time will tell

TheParraboy

Staff member
Im worried about Lee and McGrath
they generally need to be playing cricket regularly to get into some rythem.
The poms may catch us off guard in the 1st test at the Gabba.

Also Im not sure they should persit with Symonds at no6, He has been given a fair run, we should revert back to 6 batsman and 4 strike bowlers (except maybe for Sydney). Though if he has a great ODI series in the ICC champions trophy he most probably wil be retained

Iafeta

Referee
Simon Jones is more than likely goorrrnnne
Michael Vaughan is more than likely gooorrrnne
Ashley Giles the wheelie bin is struggling to overcome injury

And last night, Sri Lanka whipped them by 7 wickets, chasing 321 to win in 37.3 overs to take their ODI series 5-0, in England.

England are next to no hope to retain the Ashes unless Kevin Pieterson does something special. 4-0 to Australia.

Iafeta

Referee
These are some of their bowling figures last night

Kabir Ali 6 overs 0-72
Tim Bresnan 2 overs 0-29
Liam Plunkett 5 overs 0-46
Steve Harmison 10 overs 0-92
Darymple 10 overs 1-48
Bell 1 over 0-5
Solanki 3.3 overs 1-17

Ouch.

Only two bowlers throughout the series for England went under 5 per over. Collingwood in 21 overs, and Dalrymple. The best bowling average for them was 35, next best 46 (Bell got one wicket at 30 but for the interests of fair qualification hasn't been counted). Other bowlers who bowled more than 15 overs through the 5 match series recorded these averages and economy rates

Harmison 35.75 per wicket 5.72 rpo
Bresnan 84.5 per wicket 6.76 rpo
Plunket 80.66 per wicket, 7.04 rpo
Mahmood 57.66 per wicket 8.23 rpo
Ali 0 wickets for 149 at 9.31 rpo

If that's their next best bunch of bowlers, they badly need Flintoff, Jones, Giles to all miraculously recover and join Hoggard and Harmison in the first test or else they're as good as done.

Red Bear

Referee
Flintoff will be there. Should be a simiilar side although seem jones and vaughn wont be there. Hoping for a good series and us smashing em

Master Vippo

Juniors
Those stats are for ODI cricket, so who gives a toss. Most of those guys wont play in the ashes. Harmison, Hoggard, Flintoff, Giles/Panesar and prob one other quick will be a different story. I think Engloand will aim up and it will be a really good series. Watch out for KP, he will have a massive series it think. Vaughan and Jones not being there will be felt though.

Iafeta

Referee
Who gives a toss?

I bet England did. I bet they gave a toss in the last test versus Sri Lanka also. Their form post Ashes has been nothing to write home about.

The point is, if they suffer any injuries through the Ashes or in the lead up to the Ashes, their attack is as good as roasted unless they can uncover someone. Sajid Mahmood was supposedly the next big thing, he's the most average pace bowler on the international circuit.

If Australia lose a couple of bowlers, there's still some decent firepower in behind them - Clark, Kasprowicz etc. England - nothing after their top 4-5 bowlers. And given a lot of them are struggling with fitness it'd be a minor miracle for them to get through the series with their number one attack.

4-0.

Timbo

Staff member
Remember the last time England came out?

Gough, Jones, Harmison, Flintoff, Tudor, Silverwood, White, Hoggard, Anderson, Caddick, Kirtley.

That is the complete list of seam bowlers who were in the England test squad at one point or another, although some fell down crippled prior to playing any cricket.

I've omitted Collingwood and Hollioake from that list too, but I suppose technically they could qualify from it.

Expect to see an equally long list this summer.

nadera78

Juniors
We've never been any good at one day cricket so I'm not too botheed about these reults against Sri Lanka. I am worried about losing Michael Vaughan. He is probably the best captain in world cricket at the current time so is a big loss as he looks to be definately out.

Simon Jones might be fit in time, a couple of journos have written him off, but he reckons he should be back and bowling well in time. And Panesar is a better bowler than Giles so it's not a huge loss, although giles is a dependable no.8 to extend the batting a bit.

I think we'll be alright, as long as we don't pick up any more injuries. And make sure you go to see the urn while it's on tour over there because we're gona beat you guys to keep that beautiful little trophy.

Timbo

Staff member
nadera78 said:
We've never been any good at one day cricket so I'm not too botheed about these reults against Sri Lanka.I am worried about losing Michael Vaughan. He is probably the best captain in world cricket at the current time so is a big loss as he looks to be definately out.

:lol:

nadera78 said:
Simon Jones might be fit in time, a couple of journos have written him off, but he reckons he should be back and bowling well in time.

He's only just having surgery now. Recovery time is 5 months minimum before he can bowl again in any capacity. He's as much chance of playing in the ashes as I am.

nadera78 said:
And Panesar is a better bowler than Giles so it's not a huge loss, although giles is a dependable no.8 to extend the batting a bit.

He's better than Giles...and? England haven't had a decent spinner since Laker. Hauritz would get a gig as the English spinner at the moment. And Paesnar redefines the term butterfingers.

nadera78 said:
I think we'll be alright, as long as we don't pick up any more injuries. And make sure you go to see the urn while it's on tour over there because we're gona beat you guys to keep that beautiful little trophy.

Half your sides already gone, you've been smashed by Sri Lanka, you have less depth than Zimbabwe and this time we'll have McGrath.

Australia 4-0.

The Wood

Juniors
A lot of you seem to think because we lost against Sri Lanka in ODI you will walk all over us in a Test Seris :lol:

Take a look at our Test squad and the ODI squad and half of it has been changed.

OK, so we might not win the Ashes but it will be a lot closer than you lot think.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I cant see it being a walk over, too many talented players in the English team,

Freddy can turn a game like Botham used to

nadera78

Juniors
Can anyone seriously name a better skipper than Vaughan? Anyone? No, didn't think so.

And Simon Jones had his operation a while back, saw him on the telly a week ago, on crutches. He reckons he'll be back so if you don't mind I'll listen to him not you.

Team will be (assuming no more injuries)
Trescothick, Strauss, Cook, Petersen, Collingwood, Flintoff, G.Jones, Hoggard, S.Jones, Harmison, Panesar.

Reserves; James Anderson (seamer), Liam Plunkett (seamer), Chris Read (wickie), Joathan Trott (another devastating south african batsman) and Ed Joyce (stylish left hand batsman).

More than good enough to deal with you lot.

nadera78 said:
Can anyone seriously name a better skipper than Vaughan? Anyone? No, didn't think so.

And Simon Jones had his operation a while back, saw him on the telly a week ago, on crutches. He reckons he'll be back so if you don't mind I'll listen to him not you.

Trescothick, Strauss, Cook, Petersen, Collingwood, Flintoff, G.Jones, Hoggard, S.Jones, Harmison, Panesar.

Reserves; James Anderson (seamer), Liam Plunkett (seamer), Chris Read (wickie), Joathan Trott (another devastating south african batsman) and Ed Joyce (stylish left hand batsman).

:lol: Get over Simon Jones - he is out of the Ashes. You will have only 3 test test standard bowlers for this series.

you have 3 solid batsmen. The rest are inconsistent or just sh*t.

Australia 4-0 only because one test will be a washout.

lockyno1

Post Whore
I said it before England only just beat us last time and that was in reverse swinging conditions, when they were at their peak and we were 20% below our peak. No Jones, no England. He was crucial last time.

Iafeta

Referee
nadera78 said:
We've never been any good at one day cricket so I'm not too botheed about these reults against Sri Lanka. I am worried about losing Michael Vaughan. He is probably the best captain in world cricket at the current time so is a big loss as he looks to be definately out.

Simon Jones might be fit in time, a couple of journos have written him off, but he reckons he should be back and bowling well in time. And Panesar is a better bowler than Giles so it's not a huge loss, although giles is a dependable no.8 to extend the batting a bit.

Giles also knows how to catch. Imagine Panesar dropping Ponting early on with a bits and pieces bowling outfit, 200 hear we come.

He's a passenger in the field and shouldn't get anywhere near England's test squad. He makes Phil Tufnell look like Jonty Rhodes in the field.

Iafeta

Referee
nadera78 said:

Fleming?

Timbo

Staff member
For once I find myself agreeing with locky.

Seriously-get over it. You did not thrash us. Three more runs at Edgbaston and we won the trophy. Unlike the previous series back to the mid 80s which we did thrash you. And we will again.

nadera78 said:

Stephen Fleming's one. I think there's a few more floating around who give him a run as well.

nadera78 said:

From cricinfo:

Simon Jones is likely to miss this winter's Ashes after undergoing keyhole surgery on his left knee. The ECB confirmed that he is likely to need at least five months' recuperation from the operation which was performed in Colorado by the surgeon Richard Steadman.

That was mid-june. So you're telling me that you're going to put a man in a test match in November who won't even be fit untill the end of October? I really hope he does play if that's the case! Even that pie-thrower Plunkett would be better than a bloke whose been on crutches for 5 months.

nadera78 said:

My God. If that's the squad then you have...4 blokes who are actually from International cricket playing countries other than England. To be fair, none of them would have had a hope in hell of playing for their own countries (bar Pietersen maybe) oh and Joyce, who has actually represented Ireland in their pre-ODI days!

nadera78 said:

OK lets do a squad comparisom then:

Hayden (bat 7326 @ 53.08) vs. Trescothick (5690 @ 45.14)

This is a close one. Hayden who's down on form vs. the most technically incorrect batsman on Earth. The fact that Hayden has more than 1600 more runs in only 12 more tests though says something though.

Goine with Hayden there.

Langer (7393 @ 45.35) vs. Strauss (2153 @ 43.93)

Both great batsmen, however, Langer represents the country he was actually born in, so Strauss is disqualified.

Ponting (8792 @ 58.22) vs. Cook (358 @ 51.34)

lol. the best batsman in the world vs. a 21 year old who's played 5 tests. Show me his average at the end of February.

Martyn (4361 @ 47.40) vs. Pietersen (1250 @ 48.07)

Two batsman who rarely perform when the game is on the line. Hell even Pietersen needed to be dropped 486 times off Warney at the Oval last year to save the day. I nearly gave this one to Pietersen-But then I remembered he was disqualified on the same grounds as Strauss.

Hussey (1139 @ 75.93) vs. Collingwood (703 @ 37)

lol.

Clarke (1123 @ 36.22) [bowl 8 @ 9.37] vs Flintoff (3128 @ 32.91) [186 @ 31.32]

Clarke's an all-rounder isn't he? He has a better average and best bowling than Flintoff, and a better average with the bat? OK not really a fair comparisom, and Flintoff's a better player on the whole, but the only like-for-like player I could match Flintoff against would be Watson...And that really is embarassing, and I doubt he'll play a part anyway.

Gilchrist (5124 @ 48.8) {ct/st 320/35} vs. G.Jones (1067 @ 26.67) {108/4}

Bahahahahaha. This is more of a laugh than Ponting vs. Cook. Jones is easially the worst test keeper in the world. In anycase, he'd miss out for the same reason that Strauss and Pietersen do.

Lee [211 @ 31.45] vs. Hoggard [212 @ 28.03]

Very even here. They've even played almost the same amount of tests (Hoggard has 3 more) and on the strength of it, you'd probably have to give the money to Hoggard here. However if there's no cloud cover, expect him to be as useless as the last time he was here.

Gillespie [259 @ 26.13] vs. Jones [59 @ 28.23]

Jones is, at the moment, a better bowler than Gillespie. Wait no he's not, he's in a wheelchair, which is where he'll be come ball one of the first test in Brisbane. And he doesn't have a test 200 either.

Warne [685 @ 25.25] vs. Panesar [15 @ 34.8]

Laughing.......too.......hard......to.......type.......

McGrath [542 @ 21.55] vs. Harmison [159 @ 29.02]

Harmison's handy, but McGrath is the greatest. Easially. And that's only if Harmison doesnt have a cry about being overseas and go home.

Now lets evaluate your reserves:

Anderson [41 @ 33].
You are kidding right? He's played 2 tests in 2 years.
Plunkett [14 @ 34].
And he was averaging above 40 until his most recent test. I hope he plays!!!
Read (199 @ 15.31) {31/4}.
Amazingly these figures are from 11 tests. For a keeper/batsman. Was he even at the ground?
Trott |yet to debut|.
He's not even listed on cricinfo as a pommie, he's a South African-how can you have claimed him already? Gone for the same reasons as Strauss, Pietersen and Jones.
Joyce |yet to debut|.
His BROTHER plays for Ireland ffs. Like he used to. How can you claim him? Disqualified for....ah hell you know why.

Compare to our reserves, Kasprowicz [113 @ 32], Katich (1260 @ 36), MacGill [198 @ 27], Clark [21 @ 18], Hodge [409 @ 58], Haddin |yet to debut|.

You'll note there's one thing in common with the Aussie reserves-They're a million bajillion times better than the Pommie ones.

In short: 4-0 to us, or, if it doesn't rain, 5-blot.