What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Update on Fatty

Hurriflatch

Referee
Vautin's future hangs in the balance
By Andrew Webster
July 3, 2005 - 6:15PM
The Sun-Herald

Footy Show host Paul "Fatty" Vautin's future is uncertain as he waits to learn if the head injury which has keep him off the air for two weeks is more serious than at first diagnosed.

Vautin, 46, will meet with his doctor tomorrow morning and learn if his brain was more seriously damaged than at first thought.

The former Manly, Queensland and Australia forward suffered severe concussion when he fell awkwardly and smacked his head on the ground while wearing a sumo-wrestling suit during a shoot for the show.

He has been ruled out of calling the deciding State of Origin match on Wednesday night and at this stage it is uncertain when he will return to Nine's rugby league coverage.

Vautin was released from hospital nine days ago but returned for further scans on Friday night when his neurosurgeon became worried that his condition had not improved.

Long-time friend and former Manly teammate John Gibbs said Vautin was too ill to speak to the media and that a comeback to Nine's rugby league coverage was a long way off. "He is a very, very sick man," Gibbs said.

May not be looking that good for him.

Hmmm, not good news at all. As much as he sh*ts me, it would be a pretty tradgic end to his television career, ecpecially the way it happened...i mean, a sumo suit? :s

cainen

Juniors
Well...if anyone's going to end their tv career by falling out of a truck while wearing a sumo suit, it's Fatty.

hrundi99

First Grade
He used to bug me but in the last few years I've come around to liking him. I hope everything works out alright.

His jocular way of approaching his support for Manly is something Gould could learn from.

redVgirl

Juniors
oh god poor fatty! that seriously upsets me...ive always really liked the guy. how ironic that after all his yrs of footy and all the daredevil dude stunts that THIS is the injury that messes him up so badly.

Briza

Juniors
cainen said:
Well...if anyone's going to end their tv career by falling out of a truck while wearing a sumo suit, it's Fatty.

LOL - very true
And can the people who dislike him say with honesty it's because of his commentary, or is it because he is Manly ?

Jordan

Juniors
That's bad news... hopefully it's not that serious and he'll make a full recovery.

nqboy

First Grade
Briza said:
And can the people who dislike him say with honesty it's because of his commentary, or is it because he is Manly ?
I dislike him because he sold his arse to the big end of town years ago and is now only a Queenslander when it suits him.

But I'm still sorry to see this happen.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I think he'll eventually be ok.

But does anyone get the feeling that it was much more serious than what's reported in the media?...I can't help feeling that at 1 stage his life actually hung in the balance.

Latest posts