What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Urban Myths...

Willow

Assistant Moderator
One would like to think that the Tassie Tiger may have survived somewhere in the wilderness of Tasmania in areas which man would find impenetrable , there have been plenty of uncreditable sighting over the years , hopefully some are true but there hasn't been any photographic evidence to back them up. I still think there is a chance that they still exist somewhere out there in the wilds.
All the 'sightings' get filed according this article: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-10-16/thylacine-sightings-in-tasmania-revealed-in-rti/11602970#:~:text="There have been no confirmed,still exists," it said.

Some people are convinced that the thylacine is not extinct. But with sightings, surely there should be other evidence such as animal tracks and droppings?

It may be that the best chance for the thylacine is through its DNA. In 1999, the Australian Museum started the Thylacine Cloning Project. It has been a bit stop-start with available samples being not up to scratch, and the project was dropped at one point. But apparently the Melbourne Museum is having another go. Here: https://cosmosmagazine.com/biology/return-of-the-living-thylacine/
News today. There's a chance the thylacines might make a comeback in 10 years.

De-extinction: scientists are planning the multimillion-dollar resurrection of the Tasmanian tiger

University of Melbourne partners with US biotech company to plan genetic restoration of the thylacine

Scientists in Australia and the US have launched an ambitious multimillion-dollar project to bring back the thylacine, a marsupial that died out in the 1930s, and reintroduce it to its native Tasmania.
The thylacine, also known as the Tasmanian tiger, is the second undertaking by Colossal, a Texas-based biotechnology “de-extinction” company that last year announced it planned to use genetic engineering techniques to recreate the woolly mammoth and return it to the Arctic tundra.
Its new project is a partnership with the University of Melbourne, which earlier this year received a $5m philanthropic gift to open a thylacine genetic restoration lab. The lab’s team has previously sequenced the genome of a juvenile specimen held by Museums Victoria, providing what its leader, Prof Andrew Pask, called “a complete blueprint on how to essentially build a thylacine”.
...the first joeys could be born in 10 years.

More: https://www.theguardian.com/austral...on-dollar-resurrection-of-the-tasmanian-tiger

Stinkfinger

Juniors
I read an article in Readers Digest about bringing back thylacines while waiting for the IVF doctor. My son who was the outcome of the process is 7 now, that's how long this has been around.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Being from a deep sea fishing city there was stacks of tales and urban myths, most involving bad luck lol, couple of my faves:

that green cars were unlucky and you were seven times more likely to die in one! My grandma went nuts when I bought a green Mini and refused to go in it!

Saying the word Rabbit was considered a taboo , so much so that rabbits were known locally as Bob Tails, Long Ears, Bunny, Jacko and a few other colourful nicknames. Sailors who saw rabbits before sailing refused to sail. In the 1950s the local newspaper reported on a lady blaming a run of bad luck and a recent car crash on the fluffy tailed bringers of doom! The reporter was quick to point out that when she crashed it was very foggy.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I read an article in Readers Digest about bringing back thylacines while waiting for the IVF doctor. My son who was the outcome of the process is 7 now, that's how long this has been around.
Pretty sure the discussion has been around for 20 years or more.