What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USA - GREAT NEWS FOR INTERNATIONAL LEAGUE

Tomahawk

Staff member
Was talking to Dave Nui today, and here are a few more updates.

1 - There will be about 8-10 international stars playing for the Tomahawks...all which would be eliagable to play for the Tomahawks.

2 - There has been a huge interest in the game by the student bodies of the surronding colleges. Some of thes colleges include Temple, Penn State, West Chester, Cheyney, Prinston, Navy, all to name a couple. All thes colleges are in the area.

3 - Fans from Calafornia and N.Y. are booking hotel rooms so they can watch the game.

4 - Unversity or Penn. marching band could play.

5 - Pre game will be the Dolphins vs the Bulls

There are a couple more updates. Will let you know more soon.

Tomahawk

roopy

Referee
Tomahawk said:
Why arn't the Knights playing the pre game now - oh well, i suppose the Bulls are a big chance to give the US fans a win for the day.

strong_latte

Juniors
Do you guys seriosuly think the yanks will buy into this though? I'm not saying they won't, but it just seems like the NFL, NBA etc are just so entrenched and so widely supported there that it will be hard for league to get a look in... I don't live in the US, nor have I ever been there, so I only know what a few american people I know have told me about attitudes over there, and that isn't very hopeful...

dimitri

First Grade
Tomahawk said:
Was talking to Dave Nui today, and here are a few more updates.

1 - There will be about 8-10 international stars playing for the Tomahawks...all which would be eliagable to play for the Tomahawks.

2 - There has been a huge interest in the game by the student bodies of the surronding colleges. Some of thes colleges include Temple, Penn State, West Chester, Cheyney, Prinston, Navy, all to name a couple. All thes colleges are in the area.

3 - Fans from Calafornia and N.Y. are booking hotel rooms so they can watch the game.

4 - Unversity or Penn. marching band could play.

There are a couple more updates. Will let you know more soon.

Tomahawk

8-10 international stars???

any clue as to who they are??

if this happens it would be great

sure to even up the game

great work if it happens

hutch

First Grade
if they include 8 - 10 international stars who are eligible to play for the usa, the only way this will work is if these players commit and only play for the usa in the future. its like 8 - 10 european stars playing for the socceroos to bolster our team. it should be aus v usa, full stop. the score doesnt matter, what matters is that the aussies are actually playing the usa in the usa in rugby league, something not possible 10 years ago. im not a fan of ring ins at all.

roopy

Referee
Anyone with an American Samoa background is entitled to US citizenship - which lets in players like George Carmont, Julian O'Niel and some others - and Clint Newton was born in the US.

drinkin'

Juniors
strong_latte said:
Do you guys seriosuly think the yanks will buy into this though? I'm not saying they won't, but it just seems like the NFL, NBA etc are just so entrenched and so widely supported there that it will be hard for league to get a look in... I don't live in the US, nor have I ever been there, so I only know what a few american people I know have told me about attitudes over there, and that isn't very hopeful...

What you have to understand is that Rugby Union is Huge in the US, obviously not like the NFL or NBA, but there are thousands of Union Clubs, and only 8 Rugby league teams. The fact that league is a lot more like american football than union, the growth potential for Leauge in the US is enormous. Also in the US the union season and the League seasons do not overlap, making it very easy to play union and league.

Tomahawk

Staff member
International stars would be players that play in the NRL or other professional leagues. Dave did not tell me any of thos guys names but Jules O'niel would most likely be one of them. Adam Duff would probally be another one, and the international stars that played for the Tomahawks when they were in Australia last year. Expext the Tomahawk team to be a very solid team.....that will put some points up on the score board.

As people thinking that this will be a flop. Let me let you in on a couple of things.

#1 Rugby League in the US is played durring the summer. So the NFL,NBA,or NHL are not affected. The only conflict it will have is will MLB, and there is no contact in baseball.

#2 If Rugby League is a success in the US FOX will pick up the TV. This means millions of dollars for Murdock to make. Do you think he is not going to take a change with this?

#3 If Rugby League is a success in the US it befits Australia more then you can imagine. Your sport becomes a sucess in my country for starters. Americans will want to follow the NRL and other leagues, so Australian Rugby League will get more exposer.

#4 If Rugby League is a success in the US it provides players for the oppertunity to come to the US and play,and caoches the chance to come coach. It would also make the international compatision better then it is now,

#5 If Rugy League is a sucess in the US Australian companies will be the 1st to profit from it. Clothing, companies that make RL equipment (shoes/pands/helmets/ect) will all be brought from first.

So this is huge match for the entire world of rugby league not just the US. t needs to succeed.

Tomahawk

drinkin'

Juniors
Another good point is if Rugby League takes off in the US alot of Aussies will make a lot of money over here

Tomahawk

Staff member
Right on tarket drinken.

Think the Bulls are playing the Dolphins because the game is in Philly compared to NYC. Also the Knights were badly beaten up this past seson....and still have some injuries. So it is better that the Bulls are playing.

However, the Bulls will probally be without Mike Edwards, Jeff Rogg (dislocated knee in the Roos game, and Shayne Mains. The Falcon will be returning....and you might see a few new american faces.

Tomahawk

shaggy

Juniors
Also Rugby Union and aussie rules 4 that matter r pastime sports in the US where on the other handRugby League is a serious sport like the big r (american football, basketball, ice hockey, baseball)
is the game going 2 be on 9?

carlnz

Bench
nqboy said:
No, I dont seriously think the Yanks will buy into this.

why not? They only have 300 players at the moment, so they will more than likely double that number once they see what a wicked game it is.....

Americans love tough sports...hence why they love Ice hockey, NFL, Rugby and they do play aussie rules.....

Their is no way this is going to fail, why because this is better than nothing, even if they only get 100 people join up next year...thats better than nothin....all the NFL boys will have a crack at it

roopy

Referee
drinkin' said:
Another good point is if Rugby League takes off in the US alot of Aussies will make a lot of money over here
realistically, I think it will be a long time before there is much money to be made from playing league in the US - but there are hundreds of kids each year who are not quite good enough to play NRL and would have the time of their lives playing league in the US for a couple of years - and if they could make enough to live on it would be fantastic for them.

Tomahawk

Staff member
Roopy;

For the 1st time I have to disagree with you. I think Australia has the most to gain from the sucess in the US. Mostly finacially.

Tomahawk

Latest posts