What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USA Hawks 2017 World Cup

Pommy

Coach
So is fiji FULL (look up the definition of full) of aussies?
Do you think that YOUR judgement of one's nationality is more important than what the individual identifies themselves as?

Me I have no issue if someone defines them being from somewhere. What I take issue with is nations stacking their sides with foreigners who don't consider themselves to identify as that nationality and are really just doing it for a rep jersey.

Chris McQueen is a good example he posts tweets about enjoying watching Australia flogging the poms during the ashes, do you think he identifies as being English?

If people genuinely identify as something i take zero issue but thats not the case here, I know it and you know it, but your just looking for crap angles to further your point like arguing about what full of actually means.

Last edited:

Golden point

Juniors
And the VFL could ring in a bunch of players with dubious American heritage and still no one will watch it AND the real Americans who play the sport (as if there are any) would be pissed off.

Now where has something like that happened before?
I think they should have put a couple of them in ( i think they did) they just didn't play them. There's a reason for that.
They sucked!
The breakaway occurred mostly because of mismanagement ( forfeits, lack of facilities) they drew up some guidelines and infrastructure and got to it.
They didn't breakaway because they weren't included in the national side....
By breaking away they were aware that they had relinquish any hope of being selected for the national team .

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
It didn't help poor Russia had to play Australia and England in the group stage.

I think it's great the USA are picking domestic players, in the article they talk about how feedback the USA rugby League reveived was the fans wanted to see more domestic players

I think they should have put a couple of them in ( i think they did) they just didn't play them. There's a reason for that.
They sucked!
The breakaway occurred mostly because of mismanagement ( forfeits, lack of facilities) they drew up some guidelines and infrastructure and got to it.
They didn't breakaway because they weren't included in the national side....
By breaking away they were aware that they had relinquish any hope of being selected for the national team .
No they didn't. They argued long and hard they should be included and were ignored. The WC then further alienated the domestic clubs and players and finally the RLIF made the USARL the offical governing body. A body which has now learnt from the mistake the amnrl made last time. And good on them. If you were in charge it would be another disaster.

Golden point

Juniors
Me I have no issue if someone defines them being from somewhere. What I take issue with is nations stacking their sides with foreigners who don't consider themselves to identify themselves as that nationality and are really just doing it for a rep jersey.

Chris McQueen is a good example he posts tweets about enjoying watching Australia flogging the poms during the ashes, do you think he identifies as being English?

If people genuinely identify as something i take zero issue but thats not the case here, I know it and you know it, but your just looking for crap angles to further your point like arguing about what full of actually means.
What Bennett is doing is stupid. It they had some genuine short coming like the minows I could understand but there is some real quality over there.
He's a Aussie as a red kangaroo, I hate that shit too.

Pommy

Coach
What Bennett is doing is stupid. It they had some genuine short coming like the minows I could understand but there is some real quality over there.
He's a Aussie as a red kangaroo, I hate that shit too.

Who are you to say he doesn't identify?

Golden point

Juniors
No they didn't. They argued long and hard they should be included and were ignored. The WC then further alienated the domestic clubs and players and finally the RLIF made the USARL the offical governing body. A body which has now learnt from the mistake the amnrl made last time. And good on them. If you were in charge it would be another disaster.
Yeah nothing worse than picking the best side available.

Yeah nothing worse than picking the best side available.
Well it f**ked the governing body of the sport there. So what the f**k do you want? You want that to happen again? You want American players to say "f**k this sport, they just pick ring-ins"? What you want is Scotland. Absolutely no clubs or players, no interest whatsoever, never play a game at home, but a team of ring-ins that can almost compete with the top sides but will never beat them. That's what you're supporting. If "Scottish" players were good enough for their actual country they'd play for them. If any ring-ins were good enough for their actual country they'd play for them. What you support is a policy that ENSURES the tier two countries can never be good enough to win anything and one that damages whatever domestic presence they have. It's not international rugby league. It's like club football but with half the teams playing with one hand behind their back. It's nothing. It's neither legitimate or genuinely competitive. Fortunately the people who actually run the sport in he US will do as they see fit.

Golden point

Juniors
Well it f**ked the governing body of the sport there. So what the f**k do you want? You want that to happen again? You want American players to say "f**k this sport, they just pick ring-ins"? What you want is Scotland. Absolutely no clubs or players, no interest whatsoever, never play a game at home, but a team of ring-ins that can almost compete with the top sides but will never beat them. That's what you're supporting. If "Scottish" players were good enough for their actual country they'd play for them. If any ring-ins were good enough for their actual country they'd play for them. What you support is a policy that ENSURES the tier two countries can never be good enough to win anything and one that damages whatever domestic presence they have. It's not international rugby league. It's like club football but with half the teams playing with one hand behind their back. It's nothing. It's neither legitimate or genuinely competitive. Fortunately the people who actually run the sport in he US will do as they see fit.
" it f**ked the governing body "
That actually worked out well, the new governing body is much more professional.
They have been making real progress :
A few new teams in new areas
No forfeits
They are struggling at the moment though... world cup is very draining on resources. I wonder if these domestics players turned out to be pretty decent as you assume and say all got some sort of offer from nrl,super league, QLD cup ect...
Would you then in 4 years time pick all domestic players again and ignore the quality players in tried and tested comps?
The us did send their best prospects over to get some experience , from memory for Ipswich Jets and a couple in NSW. Also didn't crack NSWcup or qld cup first grade.
If they were serious about home grown players you would think that sending them to the uk or aus for a season would be a prerequisite.

" it f**ked the governing body "
That actually worked out well, the new governing body is much more professional.
They have been making real progress :
A few new teams in new areas
No forfeits
They are struggling at the moment though... world cup is very draining on resources. I wonder if these domestics players turned out to be pretty decent as you assume and say all got some sort of offer from nrl,super league, QLD cup ect...
Would you then in 4 years time pick all domestic players again and ignore the quality players in tried and tested comps?
The us did send their best prospects over to get some experience , from memory for Ipswich Jets and a couple in NSW. Al
The old domestic player rule wasn't about where a bloke was playing. It was about where they came from. So any domestically produced player would remain a domestic player. Like Burroughs and Eichner. So that's another non-point.

Golden point

Juniors
The old domestic player rule wasn't about where a bloke was playing. It was about where they came from. So any domestically produced player would remain a domestic player. Like Burroughs and Eichner. So that's another non-point.
So you're saying that potentially in 4 years your happy to have not 1 domestic player picked?
Won't that destroy the governing body?

They should pick a couple of forwards to come off the bench and maybe a winger but to have mostly domestic players? There gunna get smashed!
If they go well I'll come on here and only call you the great ect.

So you're saying that potentially in 4 years your happy to have not 1 domestic player picked?
Won't that destroy the governing body?

They should pick a couple of forwards to come off the bench and maybe a winger but to have mostly domestic players? There gunna get smashed!
If they go well I'll come on here and only call you the great ect.
I just explained to you the definition of a domestic player based on the RLIF rules from 2008. If the USARL produced most of the squad they'd be more than happy even if none of them still played in that league because they went to pro clubs, just like the two at the Wolfpack.

In 2013 with a team of ring-ins the USA lost 64-nil in the quarter final. So like I said, it's neither legitimate nor competitive. It's nothing. And that's the impact it had on the sport in the US.

deluded pom?

Coach
Jesus, this is pitiful to read. GP is a numpty who just likes to argue for the sake of it. Is there an ignore option on this forum?

Golden point

Juniors
Jesus, this is pitiful to read. GP is a numpty who just likes to argue for the sake of it. Is there an ignore option on this forum?
That's a successful formula for a well rounded opinion. Just ignore any opinions that aren't your own. This will make you deluded pom.

StadiumXIII

Juniors
http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2017/09/24/paulo-left-out-us-world-cup-squad
That looks like the official squad. At least getting one win would already be a massive achievement and confidence booster for the players grinding it out in the USARL. I think they should have played at least one warm up match in Australia vs a team like the Cook Islands just to test themselves out against more professional opposition. Shame there's only two WC matches here in Sydney.

Golden point

Juniors
http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2017/09/24/paulo-left-out-us-world-cup-squad
That looks like the official squad. At least getting one win would already be a massive achievement and confidence booster for the players grinding it out in the USARL. I think they should have played at least one warm up match in Australia vs a team like the Cook Islands just to test themselves out against more professional opposition. Shame there's only two WC matches here in Sydney.
I still can't believe that the coach will be joining them 1 week before their first game.

Latest posts