What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USA PRO RL 2020

LVP

Juniors
With the plan to start up a Rugby League PRO Comp in the US, I was thinking what would be the comp name, Who would run it, How would it run and Where would the teams be placed.

Kick Off: 2020

What would be the comp name:
"SUPER LEAGUE NORTH AMERICA" (SLNA)

Who would run it:
Moore Sports/The RFL
Majority owner Moore Sports for funding, promotion and sponsorship and to partner with The RFL (Part Owner) to run the Competition with the blessing of the USARL.

How would it run:
Short term: 10 Team Comp, 4 from the East and 3 from the West, 1 from Central and 2 from Canada.

Long Term: 16 Teams Comp, 6 from the East and 4 from the West 2 from Central and 4 from Canada.

Where would the teams be placed: (Short term: 10 Team Comp).
East: Florida 1, Washington DC 1, Philadelphia 1 , Boston 1
West: Hawaii 1, Los Angeles 1, Las Vegas 1.
Central: Chicago 1
Canada: Montreal 1, Vancouver 1.

Long Term: (16 Teams Comp).
The next 6 Teams can be decided as the Competition develops.

What Happens to the current USARL Semi Pro Comp?:
The USARL Semi Pro Competition will continue to develop as these teams will become feeder clubs to the "SLNA" with a focus of developing a twin USARL Semi Pro Comp in the North & South of the West and to include Hawaii, with the Champion East vs Champion West final played as a Curt in raiser to the "SLNA" Grand Final to deter-man the USARL national Champion.

The USARL can also focus on Junior development with the vision of College Rugby League competitions throughout the Country.

The USARL will continue the running of the HAWKS International Programmes as well as the North vs South Game and maybe implement a preseason USARL 9's tournament that includes Semi and Full Pro teams to kick off the Season.

So whats your Thoughts??

jim_57

Staff member
It will be interesting to see how it plays out as there is clearly a 'split' of such between teams looking to play in England and Moore and his plans for a pro league.

All of it besides Toronto Wolfpack so far are just rumours but Perez seems to be working on more clubs for the RFL systen and Moore keeps talking about a stand alone pro league.

Ideally I suppose you could have Toronto and rumoured teams such as NY, Boston, Montreal, Philadelphia etc playing in an RFL conference and Moore working on the West Coast and Central that are too far away from the UK. Although eventually the plan would have to be to for all to come together.

Has the making of a decent All Stars game though..

LVP

Juniors
Keep the RFL well clear. They won't help the game in Wales or Ireland. Forget the US.

The RFL may have there own reasons for this but they are keen to welcome Pro Teams from the USA and Canada, my thinking is to buy into and develop a PRO comp in the North America, as another avenue of revenue,

The millions of dollars that will be put into the NY bid and others would be better spent in there own back yard, Toronto have spent a lot of money to play in England money i believe would of been better spent developing a Pro Comp in Canada and The US.

The RFL already know how to run a professional Competition to me it makes sense to buy into a Pro Comp in North America..

LVP

Juniors
It will be interesting to see how it plays out as there is clearly a 'split' of such between teams looking to play in England and Moore and his plans for a pro league.

All of it besides Toronto Wolfpack so far are just rumours but Perez seems to be working on more clubs for the RFL systen and Moore keeps talking about a stand alone pro league.

Ideally I suppose you could have Toronto and rumoured teams such as NY, Boston, Montreal, Philadelphia etc playing in an RFL conference and Moore working on the West Coast and Central that are too far away from the UK. Although eventually the plan would have to be to for all to come together.

Has the making of a decent All Stars game though..

I think that if a Pro Comp (PC) does kick off in North America (NA) and is successful i would think Toronto and NY would play in the NA Comp, why would you spend millions to play in a overseas PC when you have one in your own back yard,

Last edited:

roughyedspud

Coach
What north American RL needs someone like the "fertittas" who bought the UFC for a few million and sold it for 4billion..

DC_fan

Coach
I think that if a Pro Comp (PC) does kick off in North America (NA) and is successful i would think Toronto and NY would play in the NA Comp, why would you spend millions to play in a overseas PC when you have one in your own back yard,

I don't see Toronto and and the possible NY team rushing into joining a North American league. I might even take it a step further and say if they are having success (financially and performance wise) in England why change competitions.

Stallion

First Grade
I don't see Toronto and and the possible NY team rushing into joining a North American league. I might even take it a step further and say if they are having success (financially and performance wise) in England why change competitions.

Fair call. However the time factor and perhaps a burgeoning progressive North American league may be fruitful as well.

LVP

Juniors
We have the "Fifitas"...they're way better...shrewd business minds. :)
it would be great to have business People/Companies involved as team owners or major Sponsors, but not the competition owners as that could get ugly as they will try to change the rules to suit them, this is why I would like to see the RFL and USARL officiate the competitions to keep inline with the RLIF Rules, the last thing we would want to see in the US is a Rebel League and wasted money.

LVP

Juniors
Fair call. However the time factor and perhaps a burgeoning progressive North American league may be fruitful as well.
Yes I beleave The NA League would be fruitful and with the RFL running the competition maybe we would see a Super Bowl type of game happening with SLE Champs vs SLNA Champs vs NRL Champs to decide the Rugby League World Pro Club Champions.