What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USA v Japan in Honolulu

druzik

Juniors
Well David Niu announced on twitter today that the Tomahawks will take on the Japanese in Honolulu

JapanUSAgame.png

Not sure this should have been done as my sources tell me the Japanese aren't 100% sure this will happen yet. They are still sorting out details... and it should not have been announced.

clarency

Juniors
I doubt it will happen. Japan will need a lot of resources to get up and going. I'd say they need a few other nations with closer proximity to be involved with rugby league as well.

I don't really understand what a one off game between USA and Japan will actually do for either league.

Except use a lot of resources, that is.

Rampart66

Juniors
What state is HA?

Just kidding. I think that this may happen. Hawai'i is a big Japanese tourist destination, so it may not be as expensive as other countries traveling to play against the U.S.

If Japan is an up and coming squad then it's probably better to play a U.S. squad rather than the Oceania powerhouses.

I'm sure that there are many Hawai'ian players that will get an opportunity to represent the U.S. side in this game.

Good luck; I hope this happens for all players involved.

billy2

Juniors
It is a natural fit, and not that expensive to put on now that Hawaii has players.

You could just fly in half a dozen players from the mainland and have 10 or 12 Hawaiins making up the bulk of the squad.
There would be cheap flights between Japan and Hawaii because it is a big tourist route, and if you booked 30 return tickets 6 months in advance you would get them pretty cheap.
The Japanese guys are basically guys going on a sporting holiday, and Hawaii would be as good a destination as any.

deal.with.it

Juniors
Canada plans on paying for all of Russia's expenses once they arrive in Canada i.e. accommodation, transport etc
Will USA do the same for Japan? If they do, then as others have stated, airfares could be quite cheap and an overall affordable footy trip.
An event like this, if it is done properly, it should be a massive event for Hawaii. But are the right people organising this one? Who knows...

Lone Ranger

Juniors
USA verses Japan in Hawaii, ouch! Hey why not hold it on Dec 7 if we are really going for a bad taste across the board.

druzik

Juniors
Well having a look at prices, the cheapest flight for that date from Tokyo to Honolulu is US$920. Say you have a squad of 30 (20 players and 10 staff), that is almost US$28,000 the JRL need to find.

Hotel and food, I would estimate at US$100 a day, for 7 days for 30 people is $21,000.

Thus you need almost US$50,000 to send a Japanese team over to Hawaii.

I guess the USA team will be mainly Hawaiian based players.

joshie

Live Update Team
Canada and USA have been so keen to build the game of League lately, I like it. I wish David Niu was not excluding players, but still, it is good to see.

amnrlfan

Juniors
I'm sure they will be real welcomed by the locals.

Any word on the Hawaiian or pacific comp staying a float in 2012 ?