What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USA vs Samoa June 1st in Honolulu, Hawaii

RLfan10

Juniors
Won't allow me to post a link due to low post count but the article can be found on the RLIF website.

Evil Homer

Staff member
I wonder what sort of team both countries will put out. Surely Samoa will be nowhere near full strength, and I'm guessing USA won't be either considering the cost involved to fly a bunch of players to Hawaii. It also says they're playing at Aloha Stadium, which is where NFL's Pro Bowl is held.

Last edited:

Bronco Rob

Juniors
Happy that the game is being played but really unhappy about the non-mention of League and again its a game being preceeded by RU games. In a nation that we should be trying all we can to differentiate Rugby League from Rugby Union, I find it really odd that the promoters are promoting it as just Rugby?

Evil Homer

Staff member
Happy that the game is being played but really unhappy about the non-mention of League and again its a game being preceeded by RU games. In a nation that we should be trying all we can to differentiate Rugby League from Rugby Union, I find it really odd that the promoters are promoting it as just Rugby?
There isn't a lot of separation between the codes in Hawaii, AFAIK it's pretty much the same clubs doing both. Or at least it was, I don't know what kind of domestic activity they have now if any.

Rampart66

Juniors
Nice picture of the player in the USA Eagles rugby union kit on the poster. You can see the USA Rugby logo on the shorts.

Evil Homer

Staff member
AFAIK the USA vs Tonga match last year was mostly Hawaiian RU players vs a bunch of unheard-of Tongans from I don't know where. This will probably be the same sort of thing. I guess the RLIF are pushing it as part of the World Cup preparations to generate interest, but it will probably be far from a legit international match. I guess the only person who really knows is 'AMNRL Media & Communications Director Brian Lowe', who seems to be providing regular USA-related articles for the official World Cup website.

Fatwing15

Juniors
Can't see this game taking place if Nui is involved.

Care to elaborate? I have never been to a game in Hawaii but I am fairly sure that games have gone off that Mr. Nui was involved in. But again, I have never been to Hawii and haven't personally seen these games played.

Bronco Rob

Juniors
Nice picture of the player in the USA Eagles rugby union kit on the poster. You can see the USA Rugby logo on the shorts.

Typical, can't even get that right. I checked AMNRL's facebook page and not even a mention of this game, in fact not a mention of much at all for months.

gyallop

Juniors
Homer go easy on those flat pommy pints....a bunch of unheard-of Tongans from I don't know where.....for a bloke who is an expert on the world game, this is out of line. mate ma'a tonga ( to die for tonga by the way) is their domestic team. They come for Tonga and arent unheard of there.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Homer go easy on those flat pommy pints....a bunch of unheard-of Tongans from I don't know where.....for a bloke who is an expert on the world game, this is out of line. mate ma'a tonga ( to die for tonga by the way) is their domestic team. They come for Tonga and arent unheard of there.
Mate Ma'a Tonga is the nickname of the full international team. I'm sure the players from last year's game did come from Tonga, and some people in the world have heard of them, but it wasn't the full international team that played against Samoa last month.

amnrlfan

Juniors
Opening weekend for USARL looks like Pope had to make a decision. Pope will be playing with the Axemen and suiting up for the june 1st USA match.

gyallop

Juniors
then why not say that up front instead of being half smart and denigrating Tongan Rugby League....and by the way just where did you think the "international" team got the name from???....why cant we just embrace the fact that these domestic tests give local players experience and exposure....UK might soon be in the same boat with the player drain to here!!

Evil Homer

Staff member
then why not say that up front instead of being half smart and denigrating Tongan Rugby League....and by the way just where did you think the "international" team got the name from???....why cant we just embrace the fact that these domestic tests give local players experience and exposure....UK might soon be in the same boat with the player drain to here!!
I wasn't 'denigrating' anyone, get a grip. They were Tongan players that nobody had heard of, not the full Tongan team. It's not an insult to say that I didn't know the players or where they were drawn from, for all I know they could have been Tongan expats living in Hawaii or something.

Latest posts