What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USARL 9's

Fighter

Juniors
9 Teams competed in the USARL 9's
Philadelphia Fight
Bucks County Sharks
Rhode Island Rebellion
DC Slayers
AYRLA Under 23 Americans
Duhaney Park Red Sharks (Jamaica)
NZ Police
New England Australia Echidnas
NorthWest Barbarians

Final Results:
NZ Police Champions
Philadelphia Fight (2nd Place)
New England Australia Echidnas (3rd Place)
Rhode Island Rebellion (4th Place)
Duhaney Park Red Sharks
Bucks County Sharks
DC Slayers
Northwest Barbarians
AYRLA Under 23 Americans

Information on www.fightrugby.com and 460 pictures on The Philadelphia Fight Rugby League Club facebook page. Video to come tomorrow with highlight reel and some game footage.

Fighter

Juniors
Looked like a huge crowd of about 100

GTL, did you happen to see all those little droplet things in all the pictures, called rain? Tough to get a huge crowd when it rains 7 of the 9 hours of the tournament. But we did get 483 people to come in and out during the day.

80MinuteMan

Juniors
A friend of mine went and he told me that he was impressed with the crowd size, especially considering the weather. The USARL folks can't control mother nature.

I'll never understand all the public sniping that goes on here. All of those who are involved in that are doing a huge disservice to the sport in this country. Constructive criticism is one thing, bitching to bitch is another.

south

Juniors
Fight,
Congratulations on putting on a 9's tournament and getting some Rugby League played. Always good to hear about League being played across the world.
I do remember you saying that you were expecting a crowd of a lot more than 1,500 and that the Fight spent over $15,000 on the tournament.
I hope the other 4 to 6 USARL teams can support your tournament next year.

GTL

Juniors
Spot on South, they state they handed out over 10k of free tickets and only get 483 people to show up. Lets call a spade, look at the pics you have two teams wearing Philly Fight Jerseys and then in later phoTheFilthySpammers you have players wearing shirts that do not match their shorts. Neither Jacksonville or the 13s entered the tournament and they were the Grand Finalists. I would say that is a bit strange. Lastly there is no feeder comp, Oneida and New Haven are simply not involved this year. All of you Niu bashers should start asking the USARL some hard questions and ask for facts and not smoke and mirror answers.

Lone Ranger

Juniors
F%^& me you all sound like republicans verses democrats. If the Sharks were there then let's hear from them.

Let's also talk about the games that were played. I was happy to see the Sharks played the Fight in the Quarter Finals. Any real differences between both sides other than score?

Fatwing15

Juniors
A friend of mine went and he told me that he was impressed with the crowd size, especially considering the weather. The USARL folks can't control mother nature.

I'll never understand all the public sniping that goes on here. All of those who are involved in that are doing a huge disservice to the sport in this country. Constructive criticism is one thing, bitching to bitch is another.

I'll go ahead and eat some crow (I attended and had a great time) And here are my thoughts/experiences:

I went and had a blast. Drank all day, weather stayed decent up until the later games.
Crowd was what I expected. Announcer was terrible lol.
Tournament pretty much ran on time and was well organized.
Lawrence should stick to running his team :lol: .
I would of liked to see the Under 23 team play the Fight's B side (they took the place of the no show Aussie team I think instead of taking a beating against Fight A and NZ police.

The fight had a ton of guys out, they were really able to rotate fresh legs in and out and played really tough. The Fight also had the ugliest uniforms . I am going to go a head and say they will be number 2 behind the Axemen this year in the USARL.(Wish JAX could of been there)

Overall a really fun event. I am kind of interested to see how the tournament made out financially, especially after Fighter listing all of the costs that went into this thing.

On an unrelated note, My preseason top 5 teams this year are 1 - NY Knights 2 - Jacksonville Axemen 3 - Aston Bulls 4 - Conn WildCats 5 Philly Fight

(I'll keep boston out of my top 5, as I would need to see their imports play before putting them ahead of anyone in the top 5.

Last edited:

Boston13s

Juniors
Fatwing: Interesting that you have us ranked behind the Bulls who we would have killed last year and the Fight who we beat twice convincingly in 2012. But hey everyone is entitled to their opinion and we did well as underdogs last year.

We'll probably start off slowly due to availability but we are going to finish like a steam train!

Fighter

Juniors
Well we didn't lose money despite the rain, low crowd and lack of beer/food sales, they were all enough to make it a success. Giving out the free tickets didn't work, but was worth a try. We have to get lucky one of these times with weather. We did a few years back and had a great crowd of 1600, that is what I was shooting for but didn't happen.
It was worth the effort, all the foreign teams want to come back again so we did something right. We had some great footy on the day and I had fun for a change since we know how to run these things now.
Even though the one team wasn't able to make it, we got a lot of young guys a run and they even filled in for a few others teams as well with many guys copping injuries on the day.
Uniforms are what they are, who cares what they look like it is how you play in them. We got them to honor one of our players in Afghanistan.
Rank us last, I like the underdog role. Worked well for us in 2011.

Last edited:

Fatwing15

Juniors
Fatwing: Interesting that you have us ranked behind the Bulls who we would have killed last year and the Fight who we beat twice convincingly in 2012. But hey everyone is entitled to their opinion and we did well as underdogs last year.

We'll probably start off slowly due to availability but we are going to finish like a steam train!

Its tough to duplicate that kind of success! And I also didn't get to see you guys play at 9's. You guys have some tough domestic players, but the imports play a major roll on your team, and I didn't get to see them play yet... ( I saw the Fights imports play Saturday) You can use this as bulletin board material I guess... (not that you need any from a below average player from the other league) Maybe you will be higher in my "Mid Season Power Rankings" haha

And the Bulls were a tough tough team, even last year with out any imports, I seriously doubt you guys would have "killed" them. :D

Fatwing15

Juniors
Well we didn't lose money despite the rain, low crowd and lack of beer/food sales, they were all enough to make it a success. Giving out the free tickets didn't work, but was worth a try. We have to get lucky one of these times with weather. We did a few years back and had a great crowd of 1600, that is what I was shooting for but didn't happen.
It was worth the effort, all the foreign teams want to come back again so we did something right. We had some great footy on the day and I had fun for a change since we know how to run these things now.
Even though the one team wasn't able to make it, we got a lot of young guys a run and they even filled in for a few others teams as well with many guys copping injuries on the day.
Uniforms are what they are, who cares what they look like it is how you play in them. We got them to honor one of our players in Afghanistan.
Rank us last, I like the underdog role. Worked well for us in 2011.

When did you guys have 1600 fans? Was it a grand final or something? That little stadium would be rocking with 1600 fans I would think... I think it is perfect for rugby league over here. What is the capacity?

Fighter

Juniors
When did you guys have 1600 fans? Was it a grand final or something? That little stadium would be rocking with 1600 fans I would think... I think it is perfect for rugby league over here. What is the capacity?

The 2010 AMNRL grand final. We had mike schmidt attend and had a great day and huge crowd and big VIP tent.

We are getting Preston and steve to this years final from WMMR and having a vp tent again

Capacity is 3500 seated, the wooden bleachers that no one ever sit in hold a ton. The final was great people all around the whole field and stands

And the bulls will be missing wiggins so expect them to take a step back, that will hurt a lot.

Last edited:

T Boone Pickens

Juniors
USA 2013 Pre-Season Power Rankings

1a. NY Knights
1b. Jax Axemen
3. Boston 13's
4. Connecticut Wildcats
5. Philly Fight
6. Bucks County Sharks
7. Rhode Island Rebellion
8. Aston Bulls