What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USARL Championship

amnrlfan

Juniors
New Haven Warriors vs Philly Fight - Fight at home will be a huge advatnage but is it enough to beat the Warriors who are coming off a win over the Axemen ?

Fight by 5.

Poul

Juniors
Philadelphia Fight 28 d New Haven Warriors 26 (unconfirmed score ) ( HT Fight 18 Warriors 0 )

Last edited:

druzik

Juniors
It’s Hard to Keep a Game of Rugby League Down

August 28th, 2011
By Daniel Andruczyk

Despite a massive Hurricane (Hurricane Irene) hitting the East coast of the USA and Philadelphia getting a big brunt of it, it was not enough to cancel two of the penultimate events on the Rugby League Calendar in the United States. The Colonial Cup Between the USA Tomahawks and Canada Wolverines was brought forward a couple hours and the USARL Grand Final was brought forward by an hour. It shows that not even a hurricane can keep a good game of Rugby League down.

Read more...

photomarv

Juniors
Good game played by both teams. In the middle of a hurricane notwithstanding. Fight controlled early on, New Haven came back and even led for a while. Game tied up until last few minutes when fight sealed the deal. Damn good game!

billy2

Juniors
It's great to see a club that has struggled on for years finally winning a title.

I imagine the club will go from strength to strength now.

Footyhead2

Juniors
Seems like Philly won from a knock on. Are there proper referees over there?

Were you at the game? I was (albeit under an umbrella!) and didn't see the Fight's last try as you did. The ref ruled that the ball was forced loose in the tackle by the defender. If you watch the highlight video you will see the Warriors fullback crashing in and then the ball comes loose, picked up by the Fight player coming from an onside position who dives over. It all happens very fast.

Were you at the game? I was (albeit under an umbrella!) and didn't see the Fight's last try as you did. The ref ruled that the ball was forced loose in the tackle by the defender. If you watch the highlight video you will see the Warriors fullback crashing in and then the ball comes loose, picked up by the Fight player coming from an onside position who dives over. It all happens very fast.

That is fine if it is gridiron. However in Rugby League, the ball being propelled forward is a knock on, regardless if the other player is behind him at the time.

A fairly costly referee mistake for match winning try in a Grand Final. Didn't you guys have an NRL ref last year for the GF?

It was refreshing to see an accurate crowd number posted.

Footyhead2

Juniors
Yes but...

The ball was not propelled forward. It was knocked out by a defender coming in and the ball went sideways and backwards. The Warriors claimed, of course, that it went forward.

Didnt look that way. Anyway, seems like the referee was confused through the game and allowing the players to influence him if there was a forward pass etc.

Do the referees recieve any training over there at all. I remember reading an NRL reffed the game last year.

Footyhead2

Juniors
Didnt look that way. Anyway, seems like the referee was confused through the game and allowing the players to influence him if there was a forward pass etc.

Do the referees recieve any training over there at all. I remember reading an NRL reffed the game last year.

Like the players, the refs naturally don't compare with NRL refs. But as an outsider I'd have to say that the standard of officiating, generally speaking, this year has been the best it's been for years (in the USARL. I can't comment on the AMNRL as I didn't see a game). In past years the amnrl struggled to get refs to games and some games had to be reffed by one of the team's coaches. This year most of the games I saw were reffed by better quality (by US standards) refs.

One of the issues is something that you alluded to. There is a culture here of players giving refs sh*t throughout the game, to an extent that I never witnessed at home (I'm a kiwi). We saw that at the grand final. So there is naturally not a lot of people who want to do it. Still, everything RL in USA improved this year - standard of play, officiating, crowds, sponsors. Still a way to go but heading in the right direction.

Regarding the NRL ref last year, he was a guest for a one-off.

Don't know about training but I believe there is something.

deluded pom?

Coach
The USARL may have a problem in getting more guest refs from the SLE or the NRL for their big games because at the moment they aren't recognised by the RLIF.

Latest posts