What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

using phone overseas

coolsteve

Juniors
Quick question, going os and was told to turn phone to airplane mode, switch off 3g, and only turn on when in hotels with wi fi, don't want any nasty surprises when I get home. Any ideas? thanks

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Unless you're getting an overseas SIM card generally smart advice.

Assuming it's an iphone or similar smartphone:

1: turn data roaming off (should always be off anyway)
2:turn wifi on

Theoretically this should be all you need to do when overseas, the phone will just work on wifi and won't connect to mobile networks except for emergency calls. But to be safe, you can also switch off cellular data and 3G. Leaving it in airplane mode all the time isn't really necessary (except on airplanes)

coolsteve

Juniors
thanks,the last time I travelled I was using travellers cheques,f**k, long time ago.I heard if someone calls me from oz while walking up the street, It will cost me , really only want to use it for emergencies ang taking photos

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
thanks,the last time I travelled I was using travellers cheques,f**k, long time ago.I heard if someone calls me from oz while walking up the street, It will cost me , really only want to use it for emergencies ang taking photos

That is true, so set your phone to divert or don't answer it. I usually divert to voicemail and set a voicemail message saying I'm overseas. Texts also cost more but unless you send a ton they're not too bad so use them instead of calls. The important thing is NOT use data- you get absolutely hammered on data charges. The stems I outlined above should make it impossible for your phone to use days over foreign networks though.

Danish

Referee
What carrier are you with?

Vodafone and Optus both offer options now where you simply pay a set fee per day that you are overseas, then whatever calls you make or data you use while over there simply counts towards your normal monthly plan. This assume you are on a contract to begin with of course...

Telstra doesn't offer anything like the other 2, best they have is buying international data packs so that you don't get slugged with a big bill for data usage while over there.

I wouldn't bother leaving it in flight mode all the time. The thing that costs by far the most money is data, so if you simply turn data off you are fine to leave yourself contactable through calls and SMS in case of any emergency back home. Then just use the hotel or other public wifi to search the net etc.

What carrier are you with?

Vodafone and Optus both offer options now where you simply pay a set fee per day that you are overseas, then whatever calls you make or data you use while over there simply counts towards your normal monthly plan. This assume you are on a contract to begin with of course...

Telstra doesn't offer anything like the other 2, best they have is buying international data packs so that you don't get slugged with a big bill for data usage while over there.

I wouldn't bother leaving it in flight mode all the time. The thing that costs by far the most money is data, so if you simply turn data off you are fine to leave yourself contactable through calls and SMS in case of any emergency back home. Then just use the hotel or other public wifi to search the net etc.

This...I am with Optus and you can get overseas packs now to add to your account. Easy done.

Lambretta

First Grade
When I travel to the UK I always sign up for a pre paid phone plan

Hutchinson (3) were offering unlimited data access for a month with any pre paid contract last time I was there

I bought a 20 quid card and used 10 quid only for the month
The rest of the time I emailed people from my phone instead of text messaging and used loads of data alternatives to making calls

I had a separate sim for my Aussie number and put that in when I was sitting somewhere with wifi

End result. No expensive surprises and full access for three weeks for twenty quid

Lambretta

First Grade
Fine for making calls, no hood if you still need to recieve calls or texts on your usual number though.

I just turned my Aussie phone on once per day and had all data (emails) on my uk phone via the email that was on the actual handset which used the uk plan to download through

Minimised all costs and was a brilliant compromise

Latest posts