What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Valentine Holmes NFL career

Perth Red

Post Whore
Makes you wonder why, if you've got a gun fb coming through, you’d sign a massive 5 year deal with someone outside the club who wants to play fb?

myrrh ken

First Grade
Paul Green has announced Valentine Holmes will be moving to the wing this week. Surprise Surprise, not. He's the best winger in the world. It's a shame money dictates what positions players want to play. To be fair though Holmes has shown flashes at fullback this year. He hasn't been all bad.

Cowboys recruit axed as fullback in favour of young gun Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow for North Queensland’s clash with the Sydney Roosters in Townsville on Thursday night.

In a sign no one is a selection untouchable at North Queensland, Cowboys coach Paul Green has relegated Origin and Test sensation Holmes to the wing – clearing the fullback path for the teenage whiz-kid known as Hammer.

Holmes was hailed as the fullback matchwinner who could propel the Cowboys back into title contention when he aborted his NFL dream and signed a mega $5 million deal in November to return to the NRL.

But after just six games in his preferred No.1 jumper, Holmes has been shunted to the flanks, with the exciting Tabuai-Fidow to oppose Roosters maestro James Tedesco in a thrilling backfield duel at Queensland Country Bank Stadium.

“Val has played some big games on the wing in State of Origin so that’s the thinking behind it.”

https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...g/news-story/7eb2711662e72125a64e9136640adb04

He's like Mick Gordon.
Solid player and completely serviceable as a FB.
But not enough skills of a modern FB to lead you to a ring.

Legion

Juniors
Paul Green has announced Valentine Holmes will be moving to the wing this week. Surprise Surprise, not. He's the best winger in the world. It's a shame money dictates what positions players want to play. To be fair though Holmes has shown flashes at fullback this year. He hasn't been all bad.

Cowboys recruit axed as fullback in favour of young gun Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow for North Queensland’s clash with the Sydney Roosters in Townsville on Thursday night.

In a sign no one is a selection untouchable at North Queensland, Cowboys coach Paul Green has relegated Origin and Test sensation Holmes to the wing – clearing the fullback path for the teenage whiz-kid known as Hammer.

Holmes was hailed as the fullback matchwinner who could propel the Cowboys back into title contention when he aborted his NFL dream and signed a mega $5 million deal in November to return to the NRL.

But after just six games in his preferred No.1 jumper, Holmes has been shunted to the flanks, with the exciting Tabuai-Fidow to oppose Roosters maestro James Tedesco in a thrilling backfield duel at Queensland Country Bank Stadium.

“Val has played some big games on the wing in State of Origin so that’s the thinking behind it.”

https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...g/news-story/7eb2711662e72125a64e9136640adb04
Fullback money to play on the wing for five years? Holmes and his manager must be laughing their heads off.

jim_57

Staff member
I wouldn't get too carried away yet, he'll be back at fullback again this year for sure. He should have been played on the wing last week coming back from injury at the very least.

I'd say Holmes and HTF will switch around during the game and unless the youngster has an amazing few weeks they'll swap numbers sometime soon.

To be honest I wouldn't mind Holmes getting an extended run at fullback since the year is a waste anyway. It'll give him a chance to try and settle in to it and "ease" Tabuai-Fidow in to first grade this year mostly on the wing. At least that way we'll have a better idea at the start of next season.

Spot On

Coach
Well, well, well... the pressure is now off Dane Gagai.. no longer does he carry the tag of the NRL' s highest paid winger!

davi

Juniors
I guess Holmes isn’t feeling homesick anymore.

He’s just feeling sick knowing the Cowboys spent a million a season for him to be a superstar and now they just see him as a winger.

lol.

If you referring to him unhappy being put on the wing then he's feathers would probably be ruffled. But I don't buy the argument 'he is just a winger' that the position is not important. Semi Radradra, jordan rapana, Maika Sivo, and lote tuqiri have shown how damaging it can be to have a effective player playing on the wing. Val Holmes for that matter as well. Its like having another Prop on the field when their effective. I'm not sure it should be viewed as a demotion.

The fullback position is becoming popular because of money. Probably because you get more ball also is a factor.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
If you referring to him unhappy being put on the wing then he's feathers would probably be ruffled. But I don't buy the argument 'he is just a winger' that the position is not important. Semi Radradra, jordan rapana, Maika Sivo, and lote tuqiri have shown how damaging it can be to have a effective player playing on the wing. Val Holmes for that matter as well. Its like having another Prop on the field when their effective. I'm not sure it should be viewed as a demotion.

The position is becoming popular because of money. Probably because you get more ball also is a factor.

I think its the old forwards having a go at the wingers from past eras. In reality the wing today is more important than the centre or second row for scoring points. It should be the glamour position and they should be celebrated for their speed and acrobatics. I have loved watching the Fox for Storm last couple of years and dread to think how boring our attack would be without him. Id say since Slater retired he has been the player I've most enjoyed watching. Talking out the corner flag has just added the their opportunity to entertain us. There should be an annual montage of amazing wingers tries at the Dally M's that goes viral around the world!