What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Valentine Holmes

TheRev

First Grade
o Who is this elusive alternative to Holmes that fans seen to think we could/should have signed?

o There are no prizes for not spending 3mil of our cap next year.. it just makes winning (and recruitment) harder.

o Rly happy now that Lomax is gone, hes a hard worker but just not bought into the culture, now that we have a replacement centre and goalkicker.. I feel a lot better about 2025.

o This is a huge win for us getting some respect again in future recruitments.. I know we got Cook, but it felt like we needed another domino to fall our way.. show future players that we are building here, and they dont need to take a leap of faith by signing with us.

o If Val just ends up a fast goal-kicking winger, thats still a huge win for us, but for right now hes our left centre, and if something goes tits up with Sloan (even an injury), we have a Plan B.

o Also bring some acceleration/speed into our backline (along with Sloan).. Lomax again has his strengths but i think that was his peak this year, Val will get plenty more line breaks than Lomax and will finish a try better also.. not as strong in the air but pretty solid in that space regardless. Also a better kicker imo.

Last edited:

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Will wait until "official" before popping any corks as he is in the 10 day cooling-off period (unless waived). The League Scene X account has the Cowboys chipping in 125k for next year only, which, imo, would make this deal very attractrive, but take that with a huge grain of salt.

56to66

Juniors
o Who is this elusive alternative to Holmes that fans seen to think we could/should have signed?

o There are no prizes for not spending 3mil of our cap next year.. it just makes winning (and recruitment) harder.

o Rly happy now that Lomax is gone, hes a hard worker but just not bought into the culture, now that we have a replacement centre and goalkicker.. I feel a lot better about 2025.

o This is a huge win for us getting some respect again in future recruitments.. I know we got Cook, but it felt like we needed another domino to fall our way.. show future players that we are building here, and they dont need to take a leap of faith by signing with us.

o If Val just ends up a fast goal-kicking winger, thats still a huge win for us, but for right now hes our left centre, and if something goes tits up with Sloan (even an injury), we have a Plan B.

o Also bring some acceleration/speed into our backline (along with Sloan).. Lomax again has his strengths but i think that was his peak this year, Val will get plenty more line breaks than Lomax and will finish a try better also.. not as strong in the air but pretty solid in that space regardless. Also a better kicker imo.
A good solid Front Rower would complete the trifecta for Shane Flanagan 2025 recruitment drive.
1.Cook
2.Holmes
3.Screenshot_20240814_122645_Canva.jpg

dungay dragon

Juniors
Big signing. He's quick, agile, versatile, can play fullback, wing or centre and he's an amazing goalkicker. Imo top3 goalkicker in the league. His speed will be key for our team as we lack speed badly
Noticed Sloan moved into First receiver several times last week , (when Hunt had no success with the running the attack sideways bullshit ) and looked very sharp and his passing and positioning were crisp ..Flanno mite have a thought to move him into the front line in attack in 25...Is a natural footy player. Can play any backline spot

JubileeJeffro

Juniors
Noticed Sloan moved into First receiver several times last week , (when Hunt had no success with the running the attack sideways bullshit ) and looked very sharp and his passing and positioning were crisp ..Flanno mite have a thought to move him into the front line in attack in 25...Is a natural footy player. Can play any backline spot
Yes watching him live against Storm he looked like a great running 6 option.. just needs those extra 5-8 kgs. Doesn’t have a kicking game though

denis preston

First Grade
Yes watching him live against Storm he looked like a great running 6 option.. just needs those extra 5-8 kgs. Doesn’t have a kicking game though
Yes all true JJ. I cringe when he makes a break and then puts in a lame kick. He didn’t do it for once and ran around one of the fastest fullbacks in the comp. Wonder if the coaches have got into him about these kicks ?

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Well done on a Flanagan for getting his man.

we needed him with the loss of Lomax. Older now and past his absolute best but will have something to contribute. We are paying too much but no other choice at this point.

Better than a kick in the teeth for sure but we are really into mature age players.
With the kids we have coming through and some of the duds these guys are replacing, I think it’s the right fit for now strategically.

Last edited: