What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vaughn ?

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
I take it hes had scans done.since the training mishap......otherwise surely an on training diagnoses wouldnt have ruled him out for the season.....thought I read it happened at training this arvo and it was the other foot not the injured one previously.........sorry ignore this just read he had scans after training.....FMD real blow fof us now

Last edited:

possm

Coach
NOooooooo
We came into this season one good prop short. Why didn't the Club buy a prop when Thompson left? Each of us fans seem to only have next year to look forward to.

Last edited:

getsmarty

Immortal
vaughanp-180611nh41.jpg

DRAGONS

Vaughan out for the season
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Tue 21 Aug 2018, 06:35 PM

St George Illawarra front-rower Paul Vaughan suffered a foot injury at training on Tuesday afternoon, and has been ruled out for the remainder of the 2018 NRL Telstra Premiership season.

"Paul suffered a season-ending injury to his foot in a freak incident at training," Dragons Head of Athletic Performance Nathan Pickworth said.

"Paul's foot injury occurred on the opposite leg to the one he previously suffered against the New Zealand Warriors in Round 21."

Vaughan said he was gutted to be ruled out for the remainder of the season.

"I'm devastated that my season has come to an end so suddenly today," he said.

"However, I'll continue to support the boys for the rest of the year, and I look forward to coming back bigger and better in 2019."

Vaughan was earlier today named in the reserves to make a potential return from his earlier syndesmosis injury against the Bulldogs this weekend.

His replacement is the 21-man squad is yet to be determined.

Updated NRL squad for Round 24 v Bulldogs:

1. Matt Dufty – sponsored by Illawarra Mercury/St George & Sutherland Shire Leader
2. Nene Macdonald – sponsored by Relativity in the Loop
3. Euan Aitken – sponsored by University of Wollongong
4. Tim Lafai – sponsored by Kingsgrove Sports Centre
5. Jason Nightingale – sponsored by SMAI
6. Kurt Mann – sponsored by Dynamic Projects
7. Ben Hunt– sponsored by Paul's Customs and Forwarding Solutions
8. James Graham – sponsored by EFEX
9. Cameron McInnes (c) – sponsored by Floormania
10. Leeson Ah Mau – sponsored by My Muscle Chef
11. Tyson Frizell (c) – sponsored by Val Morgan
12. Tariq Sims – sponsored by Stonemasons & Landscapers (since 1970)
13. Jack de Belin – sponsored by Wollongong Jetski

Interchange:
14. Jeremy Latimore – sponsored by Addbuild Additions
15. Jordan Pereira – sponsored by Wollongong Diagnostics
16. Blake Lawrie – sponsored by Westfund
17. Luciano Leilua – sponsored by Domus Lighting
18. Zac Lomax
19. Jai Field
21. Jacob Host

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/08/21/vaughan-out-for-the-season/

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons suffer NRL finals blow with injured Paul Vaughan ruled out for the season
Steve Zemek, AAP
August 21, 2018 8:40pm
ST GEORGE Illawarra prop Paul Vaughan’s comeback has been cut short after he was cruelly ruled out for the rest of the NRL season.

Vaughan suffered what has been described as a freak foot injury during training in Wollongong on Tuesday.

The session was his first after recovering from a syndesmosis injury in his ankle, and he was in line to take on Canterbury on Sunday.

ceee03dbf462ffc0654e8a017095f2f1

More bad news for the Dragons. (AAP Image/Dean Lewins)
Vaughan looked unhindered during the session, taking part in all contact drills, but limped off the ground at the end of the session.

Teammates and club officials dismissed it as just a bit of soreness after the NSW Origin front-rower missed the past two weeks.

He was even named by coach Paul McGregor on an extended bench in the side to take on the Bulldogs.

However, after undergoing scans on Tuesday afternoon and being examined by the club’s doctors, it became apparent he would miss the final two regular-round matches and the finals.

“I’m devastated that my season has come to an end so suddenly today,” Vaughan said.

“However, I’ll continue to support the boys for the rest of the year and I look forward to coming back bigger and better in 2019.”

Vaughan’s injury is on a different leg to that which was hurt in the round 21 loss to the Warriors.

His loss is a massive blow for the Dragons engine room and it will place pressure on the rest of the pack.

Leeson Ah Mau has been named to partner James Graham in the front row to take on the Bulldogs at Jubilee Oval on Sunday.

In better news for the Red V, retiring winger Jason Nightingale has been named to return from a neck problem for what will be his final game at Kogarah.

The injury means he will miss the last two rounds of the regular season and the finals series.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...n/news-story/42a29382e7723da310568316a956d5f6

getsmarty

Immortal
Prop Vaughan ruled out after training accident
Dragons Den
r0_0_3768_2361_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Season over: Paul Vaughan. Picture: Adam McLean.

St George Illawarra prop Paul Vaughan’s comeback from injury has been derailed by a freak training accident.

Vaughan had been named in the Dragons’ extended squad for Sunday’s clash with the Bulldogs, however he has now been ruled out for the season after suffering the injury on Tuesday.

The injury is to the opposite leg to the one he injured in the Dragons loss to the Warriors two weeks ago.

The Origin forward was in visible pain after the incident occurred, with the 27-year-old struggling to put any weight on the injured foot.

“Paul suffered a season-ending injury to his foot in a freak incident at training,” Dragons head of performance Nathan Pickworth said. “Paul's foot injury occurred on the opposite leg to the one he previously suffered against the New Zealand Warriors in Round 21.”

While disappointed to have his season come to an end earlier than anticipated, Vaughan is looking forward to supporting his teammates as they prepare for a run at the finals.

“I'm devastated that my season has come to an end so suddenly today,” Vaughan said.

“However, I'll continue to support the boys for the rest of the year, and I look forward to coming back bigger and better in 2019.”

The injury comes as Dragons skipper Gareth Widdop continues his recovery from a shoulder injury. Initially suspected to miss three to six weeks, the five-eighth could be back as early as next weekend.

r0_0_2439_2999_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Gareth Widdop

“I think they’re playing it week by week, they tossed up maybe even next week the way he’s been going,” Widdop’s replacement Kurt Mann said. “But it could be the week after as well, that first week of the finals.

“He’s so crucial to what we do. He’s our skipper, so we need him towards the back-end of the year.”

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5599787/dragons-forward-ruled-out-for-the-season/?cs=3713

Saintsified

Bench
Poor bloke.

Vaughan has had a massive year and it's a shame for him to have it cut short this way.

Hang in there big fella. Support the team through the finals and come back stronger next season.

Must be the same starting line up as last week for the remainder of the year...
Don't worry if we win the title Mann will do a JT and give his ring to Vaughan.

j0nesy

Bench
Bud luck I guess. Still I have no idea why he was training. He wasn’t supposed to return until the first week of the finals at the earliest. Should have had at least another week off.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Possibly Saints Forever but it does say a “Freak” accident so it could of happened anytime. At least it happened at training & not in a game. We’ll know more in the next few days no doubt.
Does anyone know what the freak accident was mate....not that it matters now I guess...just curious........real bugger this is to any thoughts of us resurrecting our slide.....hes one player that we really needed and is impossible to replace atm...as it is we are at least 1 prop short...and young Host has been out for a while.....still this is another reason McGregor needed to give our reserve boys more 1st grade exposure earlier in the season imo.....guess the other forwards will have to step up now...