What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vegetable garden

roopy

Referee
It's a bit of a forgotton art, but a home vegetable garden has a million advantages.
Vegetables from a supermarket will often have lost more than half of their nutrient value before you get them on a plate, and they don't taste half as good as fresh out of the garden either.
Things like tomatoes, capsicum, silver beet, zucchinis, snow peas and even chokos are as simple to grow as falling off a log.
Other things like potatoes, garlic, onions, cabbage, lettuce etc need a bit more care and knowledge - but they are still pretty easy to grow if you follow instructions.
You can decide to not use insecticides, and if a snail eats a bit of silver beet, cut that part off.
You can save money, eat better, get a bit of exercise, have nicer tasting meals - and all in your backyard.
If you only have a small space, a herb garden takes 5 minutes a week to look after and can add a lot of vitamins to your diet with herb tea or salad herbs etc.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I would love a vegie garden, but unfortunately my current property is fully landscaped.

I've already planned my vegie garden for my next property and I'm taking my Kafir Lime tree with me.

IanG

Coach
Try growing then in the foam boxes you get from the fruit shops. I then fill them with a combination of potting mix, soil, blood and bone and dynamic lifter. Also make sure they're kept in the sun too.

Yeah my vege garden and citrus trees are my pride n joy.
My tip is once you experiment (and experimenting is half the fun) for a few seasons, narrow down to a few things in particular and concentrate on them (vegies I mean, herbs you can grow dozens all around the place). For example Silver beet is my favourite coz you cut it at the base and it just keeps on growing back. Has very dark green leaves and is very nutritious. Where as corn you water to death and get one cobb.. mehh

Good call IanG on the foam boxes too. I paint mine green to blend in with the colourbond and they're great for strawberries. Pitty the dogs think they're a cool lounge suite sometimes.

Also Kia Ora storm, I'm curious, sometimes my capsicums will go kinda mouldy for no reason I can think of (say one in six). Do you get that ? Anyway keep a few of the seeds for next year (same with Chillies) & you can't go wrong. Colourful buggers too (keeps the wife happy lol)

roopy

Referee
I grow weeds... :sarcasm:
Little known fact - the most common weed in the country - dandelion - is a very versatile herb or vegetable. You can make tea out of it that is a mild diuretic - it can be a salad vegetable very like rochet - it can be cooked and be very like baby spinach and you can even make wine out of it.
My father was brought up on a farm in England during the depression, and when he was a kid he reckons he used to collect every dandelion he saw and the family ate it nearly every meal.
Every summer i walk around my lawn with zero trying to kill off about a thousand dandelions that spring up every year.

http://www.itea.com.au/Content_Common/pg-Benefits-of-Dadelion.seo

I just bought a worm farm to make worm poo for the vegies I'm going to grow on my balcony. As I understand it vegies grow better in poo than in potting mix so I thought I'd start at the bottom and work up. Good way to recycle any left over food too, worms will eat just about anything.

TheParraboy

Staff member
I would love a vegie garden, but unfortunately my current property is fully landscaped.

I've already planned my vegie garden for my next property and I'm taking my Kafir Lime tree with me.

Twizzle,

Have you ventured into the many fresh markets up your way?

Carrara and Nerang markets are great, were my two main haunts for fruit and veggies when I was living up that way.

I used to love Nerang Markets, Opens 8am-12pm Sundays, Fresh fresh produce straight from the fields. Get there around 11.30am and get stuff at 1/3 the price as they want to clear everything for the day :D

Thomas

First Grade
I grow chillies. Loads of them in differing varieties.

I suck at citris. All my trees get mould or get mauled by critters.

gUt

Coach
We recently moved to a place without much of a garden but at my old place I liked to grow cherry tomatos. Apart from hammering a picket, tying the plant thereto and general maintenance it was really easy. We used to compost and the tomato seeds would survive the composting process so that whenever we used some in the garden, tomato plants would pop up everywhere.

Generalzod

Immortal
There is nothing better than eating tomatos of the vine, better than the crap you get at the stores.

Last edited:

Latest posts