What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Very interesting Re Souths Sponsership.

mattyg

Bench
sponsorship is sponsorship. As if you wouldn't accept money handed to you on a plate just for putting some logo on your jersey. Thank the sponsors, they keep the game alive...

Rocco

Juniors
mattyg said:
sponsorship is sponsorship. As if you wouldn't accept money handed to you on a plate just for putting some logo on your jersey. Thank the sponsors, they keep the game alive...

you obviously havent read the article yet have you tard?

Chachi

Bench
How about the "South Sydney 'Enron' Rabbitohs"? Has a nice ring to it.

Holmes a Court would sell his soul...

LeagueLegend

Juniors
griff said:
Before Souths signed up with them, I don't think anyone had ever heard of them. I certainly hadn't. They weren't any more reputable than Radisson Maine - just some easily debunked claims on a website.

Even if they are legit, if I was Souths, I would have made sure I signed a deal with a company that people had actually heard of.

That's the whole point of sponsorship. You fork over money for your brand to become recognised. If every knows my business then sponsorship is only for the "feel good" community stuff or to leverage my marketing and advertising opportunities. If I'm trying to break into a market then sponsor some teams/events, get recognised so that the business is one that people have heard off.

I'm also led to believe that Souths aren't the only NRL club who have been talking to Firepower.

Alex28

Coach
mattyg said:
Who says they have seen any money yet? Not many sponsors at this level pay for the whole year in advance...

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
fatshark said:
Dodgey bros
What sort of person accepts a sponsorship from a company they have never heard of????

A person with a brain if that company is offering the most cash. We can speculate all we want, but until further time, thats all it is.

griff

Bench
S.S.T.I.D said:

Because a sponsorship isn't just about getting the most cash.

If you are sponsored by a dodgy company, you look cheap and dodgy. If you are sponsored by a blue chip international company, you look sought after and impressive.

Souths look very very dodgy right now.

Collingwood are sponsored by one of the world's largest airlines; the Waratahs are sponsored by one of the world's largest retail banks. Souths are sponsored by some apparently dodgy guy who sells questionable products and has dubious Russian connections. If you were a sponsor looking to take out a secondary sponsorship which team would you want to associate yourselves with?

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
griff said:

If you are sponsored by a dodgy company, you look cheap and dodgy. If you are sponsored by a blue chip international company, you look sought after and impressive.

Collingwood are sponsored by one of the world's largest airlines; the Waratahs are sponsored by one of the world's largest retail banks. Souths are sponsored by some apparently dodgy guy who sells questionable products and has dubious Russian connections. If you were a sponsor looking to take out a secondary sponsorship which team would you want to associate yourselves with?

Note the use of the word apparently. I don't think it reflects badly on the club at all at this point in time. If it comes to light that Firepower is nothing more than an international money laundering syndicate, then we'll be in trouble. But generally, why does it matter who your sponsor is? Is $1,000,000 from Firepower not as good as $1,000,000 from Emirates Airlines?

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
S.S.T.I.D said:
A person with a brain if that company is offering the most cash. We can speculate all we want, but until further time, thats all it is.

I would have thought it would be more important to ensure the company offering the cash has the viability to actually pay up. I would hope for South's sake that they had access to Firepower's financial statements and had evidence the company had provided details of future revenue streams and cashflow.

It's not all about whose offering the most but who also has the ability to pay. I am glad the Roosters stick to major International companies. Samsung came in at number 9 in Forbes Magazines most respected companies poll for 2006.

yakstorm

First Grade
griff said:

Two very interesting examples you picked there Griff considering both Collingwood and the Waratahs have had major sponsors in the past 10 years who were both as dodgy as Firepower is being made out to be. Surprisingly neither incidence hurt their ability to get a new major sponsor.

And just on the awareness of Firepower, the start of that article makes out that within the market there was already a lot of speculation about the company and a lot of positive talk. Just cause the general public doesn't know much about it, doesn't mean its unknown to everyone and shouldn't be touched.

Just an example picked right out of the hat, Advantra, could anyone here name exactly what they do? They are major player in their industry sector here in Australia, yet it wasn't till I read that they renewed their IT supply contract with the Federal Government that I even heard about them.

Alex28

Coach
They make a fuel additive which apparently makes vehicles more fuel efficient and reduces emmisions into the environment - but apparently no one stocks it in Australia. Makes that publicity from sponsoring Souths quite pointless really...

LeagueLegend

Juniors
Cockadoodledoo said:
I am glad the Roosters stick to major International companies. Samsung came in at number 9 in Forbes Magazines most respected companies poll for 2006.

A list the Roosters could only dream of being on!!!

Choppies

Coach
LeagueLegend said:
A list the Roosters could only dream of being on!!!

We arn't a major international company so your point being what exactly?
Although it is nice to see Samsung on there.

Bluebag

Juniors
Griff is 100% correct about the association. Emirates and HSBC are now and always have been credible sponsors, can you explain when they were dodgu or accused of being so. They used the Pies and the Tahs to brand themselves and people identify them in a greater way.
Radisson Maine were never in the same boat and nor are Firepower, Wests Tigers copped a lot of flack and if the Firepower reports are correct it will do the same for Souths.
Great brand associations are successful but iffy ones no matter how good the Souths brand is will produce negative results, not to Souths fans but in a wider community where they want to get the message across.
It will devalue the next sponsorship if it proves successful as great business do not want to be involved with brand names that will reflect poorly on them. They would still get a sponsor but may take some time to get full value.

IMO the first cause of concern is that they are a WA company, enough said.

BTW does anyone on this site know where you can get the product and how many Souths fans have purchased it.

Alex28 said:
I hope for Souths sake they have the first years payments up front - basic stuff like "companies not being established" is some serious sh*t. It looks like they have plenty of money - but how are they getting it is the curious thing...

Yes I remember a company called Gizmondo wasnt it lol.