What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Very Long Songs

Trollhammaren

Juniors
Hah. I've never heard an Anal merkin song besides 'I Just Saw the Gayest Guy on Earth' but just reading some of their song titles are hilarious. Stuff like 'Your kid committed suicide because you suck' and eh.... I can't remember.

I have an album by a band called Regurgitate and it has 63 tracks, and the album is about 30-40 minutes.

ThrashViking

Juniors
Anal merkin are funny, incredibly s**t but they are still funny
I Sent A Thankyou Card To The Guy That Raped You
Hitler Was A Sensitive Man
I Snuck A genius In To A Sperm Bank
I Made You're Kid Get AIDS, So You Could Watch It Die
You're Pregnant, So I Kicked You In The Stomach
I'm Glad Jazz twigs Don't Like Us Anymore
Even Though You're Culture Oppresses Women, You Sill Suck You f**king Towelhead
You Converted To Judaism So A Guy Would Touch Your Dick
And who could forget the classic..
You Were Too Ugly To Rape, So I Just Beat The Shit Out Of You
I need more pisstake Grind.

keeney

First Grade
whippin post - allman brotehrs band, only the live version off live at filmore east though

i have a 90 min thing from dj shadow

two step off the central park album by dave matthews band is 20 minutes, ditto jimi thing, but only on that album

i ahve two more shadow sets that are 30 a piece

thick as a brick - jethro tull

do you fell like i do? - peter frampton, thats about 14 minutes

pushit live by tool is about 14

light my fire by widespread panic is 10

so is #41 by dave matthews band off listener supported

divided sky by phish is 12 mins

work by rjd2 is about 12 minutes

providence by godspeed you black emperor! is 29 minutes

blaise bailey finegan III is 18 minutes, also by godspeed you black emperor

storm is 18 minutes, ditto, godspeed

the dave matthews band cover of all along the watchtower is about 10 minutes

the great debate by dream theater is 14 minutes

beyond this life is 12 minutes, also dt

in your eyes, live is 12 minutes, peter gabriel

Evilgrowler

First Grade
Do You Feel Like I Do - Peter Frampton over 14 minutes from Frampton Comes Alive.

Rock Bottom - UFO 11 minutes & 34 seconds from Strangers In The Night.

Dazed & Confused - Led Zeppelin over 26 minutes from The Song Remains The Same.

aphelion

Juniors
Abruptum - In Umbra Malitiae Ambulabo, In Aeternum In Triumpho Tenebraum = One track that goes for 60 minutes and 30-odd seconds. It's not a song per se though, it's more of a soundscape. Either way, it's long.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
aphelion said:
Abruptum - In Umbra Malitiae Ambulabo, In Aeternum In Triumpho Tenebraum = One track that goes for 60 minutes and 30-odd seconds. It's not a song per se though, it's more of a soundscape. Either way, it's long.
Not so much a soundscape as a f*cking headache, there's a fine line between extreme and unlistenable and Abruptum get well over it on a number of occaisions. I remember once listening to Obscuritatem Advoco Amplectere Me (the debut) for about 35 minutes before I realised that the CD was actually skipping back 30 seconds or so and looping!
The only thing of theirs I've ever really liked was De Profundis Mors Vas Cousumet which was on the Nordic Metal compilation, that track was pretty damn evil.

miladi

Juniors
Alice's Restaurant can range from 18 1/2 minutes to over 30 minutes, depends on which year's version you listen to.

Azkatro

First Grade
An interesting note about that naughty Anal merkin band is that they released an album of ballads in 1998. Massively satirical of course.

I'll throw Telegraph Road by Dire Straits (14min) into the long song mix.

goldcoastpunk

Juniors
I know its been mentioned before, but The Decline by NOFX is a truly great song. Anyone with an interest in punk rock or great music in general should listen to it.

Trollhammaren

Juniors
I picked an album by a tops Aussie band called Stone Wings on the weekend. Their track 'Bird of Stone Wings' goes for about 24 minutes. Lovely doom.

frank said:
SpaceMonkey said:
The idea of the 3 & 1/2 minute pop song has more to do with fitting into radio (and more recently video) programming schedules than any supposed ideal song length.

Very true.

Writing a song over 4 minutes these days pretty much kills your chances of it being heard on radio or seen on TV in its full form.

I remember when it was quite common for bands to release a shorter version of a song on 45, for radio play, while the "long version" would be on the album. There were many, many examples, but Billy Joel's 'Just the Way You Are' sticks in my mind.

I don't think that happens much anymore, does it?

Rexxy

Coach
CanadianSteve said:
I remember when it was quite common for bands to release a shorter version of a song on 45, for radio play, while the "long version" would be on the album. There were many, many examples, but Billy Joel's 'Just the Way You Are' sticks in my mind.

yes i remember that when it came out there were many requests for it to be shorter. Much, much, much shorter.

et

Juniors
The Diamond Sea by Sonic Youth. 20 minutes long, though with a radio-friendly cut-off at about 3 minutes.

look into his eyes and you shall see
why everything is quiet and nothing's free
I wonder how he's gonna make her smile
when love is running wild on the diamond sea

Latest posts