What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vettori quits as Test captain

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member

New Zealand will need a new leader in all formats after World Cup

Last updated: 19th January 2011

There are always regrets, you always want to perform better. But I can walk away from the captaincy thinking that I gave it everything, particularly with my performance.

Daniel Vettori has stepped down from the New Zealand Test captaincy following their series defeat at the hands of Pakistan.

Vettori also announced he will reliquish his role as one-day skipper in April after the World Cup.

"I made that decision three-and-a-half years ago," he revealed. "So that's it. My timing was always to finish after the World Cup and that stays the same."

The 31-year-old confirmed he would continue to play Test cricket under someone else's leadership.

"Test cricket is the part of the game I love. I want to play for as long as I can. There are still a lot of things I want to achieve, so there's no way I'm stepping away from Test cricket," he added.

He captained the Black Caps in 32 Tests after taking over from Stephen Fleming in 2007, losing 18, drawing 13 and winning just six - four of them against Bangladesh.
Dependable

Although the side has struggled during that time, Vettori's own form has been dependable. He was the highest wicket taker for the period of his captaincy, while only Brendon McCullum and Ross Taylor scored more runs.

"There are always regrets, you always want to perform better," he added. "But I can walk away from the captaincy thinking that I gave it everything, particularly with my performance."

He singled out the Test wins over England in 2008 and Pakistan last year as highlights, and was encouraged by the emergence of several young players recently.

"If we can get the most out of the likes of (Ross) Taylor, (Jesse) Ryder, (Brendon) McCullum, (Martin) Guptill and (Kane) Williamson in the years to come, I think there's an exciting team there," he said.

"We still need to find fast bowlers coming in. You always want to find guys who can penetrate, so if they come along, that would be great."

Vettori, who turns 32 at the end of January, will lead New Zealand in the six one-day internationals against Pakistan and also at the World Cup, before relinquishing the one-day captaincy.

clicky

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
The biggest problem I see for the Kiwis now is who takes over from Harry Potter with so many players struggling to hold a spot.

Did his resignation have anything to do with Wright being appointed ?

African Monkey

First Grade
He was always going to retire after this world cup.

Taylor will obviously take over now. Hopefully he attacks more as a captain than what Vettori did. I can't see the results changing with the change of captaincy, but I do see this as a step forward for us.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Is Taylor the only option?? Really I can't see
Him being captain material while he continues to place so little value on his wicket.

Red Bear

Referee
Record certainly isnt particularly great but for much of his tenure he hasnt had a great side, particularly top order batsmen (which only now is starting to look more assured) and with Martin the only consistant seamer, who isnt a world beater.

Meth

Staff member
Would have to be Taylor or McCullum, but I am not sure either has the temperament. Taylor seems to be irresponsible (gets out a lot of silly shots when we need a decent innings from him) and McCullum is rash.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Both average close to 40 with bat in Test cricket which is pretty handy by NZ standards so if how they bat comes into it I'd rather one of our best batsmen is captain then someone who average 30 with the bat and plays conservatively. If anything they're going to lead from the front more often then not.

JB

Juniors
Meh captain really. Then again, would have made no difference who was in charge given the transitional state the teams been in since he took over. You lose experience like Astle, Fleming, McMillan, Cairns, Styris, Oram, plus pretty much your only matchwinner in Bond (to ICL or injury) all in a couple of years of each other, little wonder we're ranked where we are.

Taylor will be captain. But until this team gets experience behind it and uncovers some fast bowlers, get used to more of the same.

Danish

Referee
Somebody send this to Ricky Ponting.

Well done Dan.

Thats blasphemous talk Angry.

The captain of the aussie test side is akin to the pope. Until he drops dead or is dropped, he is Numero Uno.

Its a fantastic system :sarcasm:

African Monkey

First Grade
Is Taylor the only option?? Really I can't see
Him being captain material while he continues to place so little value on his wicket.
He is getting better even though he isn't in the best of form lately. He's definitely my choice for captain.

Iafeta

Referee
He snapped out of his form slump with 78 and 52 in the last test.

Fairly systematic of the core problem of the New Zealand batting unit. Not enough nuts to stay out there and convert a start into a big score, a match winning score.

On Vettori, he says in an article that he was happy with his own performance in his tenure. Performances such as.... shafting the best captain New Zealand's ever had with political bully-boy tactics nonsense... never having won a solitary test for New Zealand against a recognised and capable test playing nation in the second innings in fourteen years of test cricket... help me out Dan, what is it you're particularly proud about your performance?

It's typical of New Zealand Cricket. The top three or four players are relied on too heavily, yet they crumble under the pressure and fail to do their core roles well enough to win test matches. The batsmen fail to go on to big tons, and the bowlers just don't knock over batting line ups when the game is on the line. Our top players inevitably accept mediocrity or a moderate performance as having performed. Winning test matches to me means you've performed. Not a couple of poncy fifties or a 4-100 bowling performance.

African Monkey

First Grade
Fairly systematic of the core problem of the New Zealand batting unit. Not enough nuts to stay out there and convert a start into a big score, a match winning score.

On Vettori, he says in an article that he was happy with his own performance in his tenure. Performances such as.... shafting the best captain New Zealand's ever had with political bully-boy tactics nonsense... never having won a solitary test for New Zealand against a recognised and capable test playing nation in the second innings in fourteen years of test cricket... help me out Dan, what is it you're particularly proud about your performance?
Not to mention the fact that excluding Bangladesh since he took over, we won 2 of 27 matches.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Harsh on Taylor, 78 isn't bad and it's not like every time you are going to go on and score a big 100 and he pretty much anchored our 1st day batting effort while the top order fell around him. And then in the 2nd innings he scored at good clip which was required and got out late in the day when we would have had to declare overnight anyway.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
And you can abuse the batsmen all you like really and I definitely have in the past but the fact of the matter is we aren't going to win any test matches because our bowling attack is very rarely going to roll quality teams for under 350. If the batsman stepped up more often at least we'd get more draws I spose.